ascsbe

Brittany Ferries Booked

Just booked Portsmouth - Caen return , Car and 7.31 m caravan. 2 adults.  Out on 11th June back on the 27th June.  Price includes 4 Overnight vouchers. £252.80 all in. Through the caravan club.  Have to go out on the 14.45 ferry and back on 08.30 but no problem as use my overnight vouchers at Ouistreham both ways.

I thought this was a great price compared to BF direct.

Andrew

• Like 2

I also achieved an excellent discount for the Caen crossing recently.

Previously I had scrounged a discount code from helpful members on here and booked directly with BF.

By including site vouchers when you book the crossing with CMC you get a significantly better deal.

1 hour ago, onewheelonmywagon said:

By including site vouchers when you book the crossing with CMC you get a significantly better deal.

I’ve just discovered this isn’t all crossings though - no CMC discounts for overnight crossings in the peak season even if booked with nights on a site through CMC

Would anybody be willing to share with me their BF discount code (and surname only which seems to be something they now require)?

It’s cheaper to go direct if you want a peak crossing in the summer.

Thanks in advance

21 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

..........................................(and surname only which seems to be something they now require)?

I think where they ask for the surname, what they want is the surname of the lead passenger.   At least that's what I always give them and they don't object.

I have a BF code if anyone wishes to be my friend!

Andy

• Like 1

No idea what I have done wrong Andy, post appeared in new content :excl:

29 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I have a BF code if anyone wishes to be my friend!

Andy

yes please Andy!

6 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

yes please Andy!

PM sent! 

Andy

You don't need Andy's surname. As Jaydug said it's your surname that is required.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

no CMC discounts for overnight crossings in the peak season even if booked with nights on a site through CMC

It's worth bearing in mind that if you need to postpone or change your Brittany Ferries direct booking in any way, the change can be done online without charge (unless it's last minute) whilst a booking with the clubs needs to be done by phone - cclosed over the weekend - and there will probably be a charge to make the change.

They’ve now introduced three levels of booking - the economy has 100% paid on booking and no changes/ cancellation - the middle one is 50% deposit and changes up to 6 weeks before with a £20 admin fee and the flexi is the most expensive and I think is 25% deposit, can’t remember the other benefits though or how late you can cancel/ change

If I had booked with BF direct it would have cost £390.  Same crossing, times etc.

I paid £252.80. and 4 overnight vouchers for free with the Caravan Club. £75 deposit. Both were based on the Economy terms and conditions. Huge saving and even if I never stay on a Club site at home it is worth the membership cost just for this saving.

Edited by ascsbe

You did well, I phoned the caravan club this afternoon and they said no Itx rates available yet. Rang the CCC who had access to the discount rates and sailings. As usual early morning Caen to Ports and late afternoon out, as well as Poole Cherbourg seemed to also have the caravan goes free option.

The difference in the saving wasn't as much as I expected so I may book direct though I didn't fancy the pay all upfront option much. I would also like the overnight crossings again and the only one with a deal is Cherbourg to Poole.

I use Poole-Cherbourg all the time.

Don’t forget you are allowed to “camp” on the ferry check in lanes overnight which makes life a LOT easier for the 08:30 sailing. 

Even though I only live 25 miles away I always go up the night before because it’s easier.  There is supposed to be a small charge, but I have never been asked for it.

You can also stay overnight on the edges of the check in area on your return. Many do exactly that rather than driving home at 23:00

Getting through Border Control at Poole is also  much quicker than Portsmouth. 

Each time I look the Portsmouth -Caen And Poole-Cherbourg crossings are pretty much the same price so worth checking out both to see which is best. Poole is daytime both ways Portsmouth is overnight outbound, there are/were a few night time out of Poole due to possible Brexit issues, I don’t know if that’s continuing or not but when I last spoke to BF I was told the Poole nighttime crossings were proving popular so the just might continue with them

Andy

12 hours ago, ascsbe said:

If I had booked with BF direct it would have cost £390.  Same crossing, times etc.

I paid £252.80. and 4 overnight vouchers for free with the Caravan Club. £75 deposit. Both were based on the Economy terms and conditions. Huge saving and even if I never stay on a Club site at home it is worth the membership cost just for this saving.

As the posts here make clear you have to do your homework, check, check and check again, and the discounts vary across the routes.

I have just seen a post on another forum that said claims of the caravan club being cheap were rubbish, but then went on to say they were crossing in August without a car on the St Malo route and were Club Voyage members so getting a 30% discount..

I have posted about ITX fares more than any other subject in the hope that maybe people who are not aware might get a better deal than they expected and, maybe, even see that there are routes that might suit them having previously ruled them out on cost grounds.

My likely trip in June 2020 Plymouth to Roscoff return with cabin going out is £650 with BF and just £320 with the club making the ferry £232 and , as you have pointed out, the terms now also appear to be better than booking direct.

Just been onto the (currently very slow) BF website to look at various prices. 

For some reason it refuses to apply my Club Voyage member discount to any sailing OTHER than Poole-Cherbourg! 

Tried ringing, lines constantly engaged. I bet there’s an IT man being seriously “Spoken to”  by senior management don’t you? 

Some of the Portsmouth -Caen sailings are only £157 and that’s for a car, an 8m caravan and two people BEFORE Club Voyage discount (I just cannot get it applied at present)  Poole Cherbourg isn’t that much more. (That’s for sailings on 1st May) 

Andy

Not being funny but are you sure that is not one way.   I would be very surprised if anyone does that crossing return with a caravan for £167. But stand corrected if anyone proves me wrong.

PS  Just seen your date. Had not read it properly so maybe possible.

Edited by ascsbe

As a matter of interest which is cheaper.  Doing the booking with CMC or doing the friends and foe BF discount which I think is only 10%?  If you do not belong to either club then I suppose the BF code is better than nothing.  :D

The 30% BF Club Voyager is on all crossing apart from those that are promotions, where you get 10% on these. The CMC offer appears to be on specific crossings, all be it quite an extensive range if you aren’t bound to peak season.

I can’t remember the exact figures but a £850 crossing one of which was overnight (Portsmouth - Caen) dropped to £390 if I was willing to go out mid afternoon and come back first thing, the advice was to use Bella Riva both ways (you need a total of 4 nights booked via the club to qualify). For us it basically takes two days out of the holiday though, I might just suck it up and spend £765 on the crossing though as time is the issue and I’m not sure I can be bothered to pitch up 4 times! If we went out on the early morning crossing it was half way between in price and I might be able to get to Southern Brittany before nightfall! 

I can compromise and get it down to £700 if I change the days we go on holiday (returning on a Saturday is the biggest cost)

You do not need to actually book any sites. Just agree to take the 4 vouchers.

53 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

The 30% BF Club Voyager is on all crossing apart from those that are promotions, where you get 10% on these. The CMC offer appears to be on specific crossings, all be it quite an extensive range if you aren’t bound to peak season.

I can’t remember the exact figures but a £850 crossing one of which was overnight (Portsmouth - Caen) dropped to £390 if I was willing to go out mid afternoon and come back first thing, the advice was to use Bella Riva both ways (you need a total of 4 nights booked via the club to qualify). For us it basically takes two days out of the holiday though, I might just suck it up and spend £765 on the crossing though as time is the issue and I’m not sure I can be bothered to pitch up 4 times! If we went out on the early morning crossing it was half way between in price and I might be able to get to Southern Brittany before nightfall! 

I can compromise and get it down to £700 if I change the days we go on holiday (returning on a Saturday is the biggest cost)

If you are a caravan club member then getting comparison prices is easy and allows a better informed choice.

As said you do not need to book sites, I never do, but take the vouchers.

On my trip I make a large saving even if I don’t use the vouchers, which I do.

If you take vouchers there should be no time issues but if you can’t take the best value crossing then you savings will be lower.

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

As a matter of interest which is cheaper.  Doing the booking with CMC or doing the friends and foe BF discount which I think is only 10%?  If you do not belong to either club then I suppose the BF code is better than nothing.  :D

It will depend on the route and time you cross.

For my trip the club come out at £232.

BF are £650 so, even if you were a club voyage member getting 30% discount, the best direct price would be £455. 
BUT that is for my crossing and there will be cheaper, Portsmouth to Caen, and dearer.

Having spent a few hours looking at various crossing options yesterday evening with BF I very quickly realised that the least expensive route is, surprisingly,  Poole -Cherbourg. Which is dead handy for me as I only live 25 miles from Poole.

So, depending on where you live in the U.K. and where you are heading for, if Poole isn’t that far off your route it’s worth have a look at that option.  It won’t suit everyone I know but for some it could save a few quid. 

Every outbound sailing is 08:30 and arrives just after lunch so plenty of time to head off to a campsite. There are 2 return sailing options, one leaves late afternoon and docks at 21:45 and the other is an overnight return docking at 07:00  (so you need to add the coast of a cabin) 

A huge advantage at Poole is the facility to “camp” on the port area before departing for Cherbourg or when you get back to the U.K. There is allegedly a small charge, but as a frequent user of that facility I have never been asked for any money!

I am very happy to “befriend” anyone who wants a BF discount code!  Send me a PM

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

4 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

"Having spent a few hours looking at various crossing options yesterday evening with BF............"

Hi Andy, Did you do a comparison with an ITX fare from the Caravan Club?

The ones that I have done in the last few days come out dearer booking direct, even with a 30% discount through Club Voyage and that's before you factor in the cost of CV.

11 minutes ago, Allan Guest said:

Hi Andy, Did you do a comparison with an ITX fare from the Caravan Club?

The ones that I have done in the last few days come out dearer booking direct, even with a 30% discount through Club Voyage and that's before you factor in the cost of CV.

No I didn’t, at the price I was quoted as a Club Voyage member I couldn’t see the point! 

£164 for car, 8m caravan and two (that’s one way on 4th June)

3EDB74BB-F4D0-4E61-96B1-A1E062B38CA4.png

Edited by Mr Plodd

Hi Andy, So not a return, which is what you need to book to get an ITX, and, of course, you need to add the cost of CV to that price.

As said previously there are so many permutations of routes, times and other variable that makes comparisons  a challenge but I have always looked at return crossings and the club have always been cheaper when I have compared the crossings I am considering with BF.

That, of course, may not be true when I look at non BF crossings as I do if travelling East to, say, Italy.