Sign in to follow this  
Satgear

Best leisure battery?

Hi all,

From time to time we get requests for leisure batteries for a complete solution to go with our satellite TV kits.  It would be very cool if you could help me with some quick answers to any of these questions...

If you had a choice, what battery would you recommend for your needs?

Have you had problems with the battery you have? (if so what?)

Do you go wild camping very often?

Do you wish you had a higher amp battery?

Any insight would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Darren.

Vented sealed lead acid of as highest Amp rating possible or if not vented an AGM battery.

AGM 110 A. No problems using a C-Tek charger

Yes with Honda generator to charge

Yes, but not enough space to accommodate

The best battery is the one that suits your specific requirements, taking into account size, cost, performance and application and it will not be the same for everyone.

If we had some idea of what you want know and why you might get a better answer.

I always buy the traditional lead/acid type would love to buy one of the newer construction type but I'm put off by the prices.

I always go the the full width size for the battery compartment but one of the low height versions so I can clip the cables on after insertion and unclip before removal.

This means it will be about 105 amp. Full height would be a little higher capacity.

Usually 85 amp is regarded as lowest to be used with motor mover so 100 amp + required.

If you are selling quality gear you would want a quality battery, so I would recommend a Banner Battery

Exide ES900 80Ah Gel battery

Only after 11 years I realised it was not quite as good at holding its capacity it was so changed it like for like.

Almost exclusively we have camped off an EHU with this van

Obviously extra capacity can't be bad, it is the compromises in weight, bulk and cost that put me off, so settling for an 80 Ah battery that is designed  for optimum deep discharging is for me the route to go.

IMO it is pointless buying a large capacity battery that is optimised for typically 20 to 30% DOD, where a smaller capacity one optimised tfor getting on for 50% DOD makes a more usable choice.

Hence the 80 Ah Gel.

I use a separate portable 60 Ah wet battery at home for the arduous duty of powering the mover; that battery lives on its CTEK charger so is always primed to lug the 1900 kgs van out or in up my drive.

The Gel is called on to power the mover on site, but I never pick a site that involves climbing a mountain and with that the abuse the battery would get.

Edited by JTQ

3 hours ago, matelodave said:

If we had some idea of what you want know and why you might get a better answer.

These are really helpful replies. Thanks so much everyone.

Clearly there's not a one size fits all. I'm just trying to get a feel if there's a  specific brand that's favoured over others and more importantly if there are brands to avoid based on consumer experience. BUT ALSO > I am looking to stock a simple range  of quality batteries.

Currently, I'm putting together a complete solution for a Glamping site owner who doesn't have 240v at the pods. So each pod will have a 12v sat tv solution running off a 12v leisure battery. Probably anticipating that the battery will last for say 10-15 hours viewing before charging and maybe used for a bit of 12v lighting as well at a push. So the batteries that I source/supply are going to be key.

Hopefully that additional info helps as well for anyone else that wants to chip in...

D.

How are you going to charge the batteries. What is the power requirements for the TV & lighting.

Say the TV draws 30w (in built sat or not?) = 2.5amps,  Say 3 hours for 5 days = 15 hours x 2.5 = 37.5. Do the same for lighting say 20watts = 1.7amps, 3 hours a day for 5 days = 15 hours x 1.7 = 25.5

So you've got a total drain of around 63 amps. You shouldn't discharge the battery below 50% which suggests that at the very minimum you'll need a 130a/h battery and it would need to be charged at least every 5 days. More often if your client uses more lighting or watches a lot of TV. The more frequently a battery has a a deep discharge then the shorter it's life will be unless it's specifically designed for that application.

You need a battery that's capable of multiple deep discharges so you are looking for a deep cycle battery which is designed for this purpose. Probably the best battery that you can get for this purpose are Trojan, but they are ever so expensive but can have a cycle life of over 500 cycles.

Lesser batteries will do the job but wont last as long, however a battery that is properly maintained, not allowed to go flat and regularly charged with a decent multistage charger will last a surprisingly long time.

Banner Energy Bull and Yuasa do a decent range of batteries so you need to balance cost against performance. IMO paying twice as much for a battery wont give you twice the lifetime.

3 hours ago, Les Medes said:

If you are selling quality gear you would want a quality battery, so I would recommend a Banner Battery

+1 for the Banner battery.

I'd use one that has been tested to survive many charging cycles and is on the Class A list.  A PDF of all the verified batteries is available here:

https://www.thencc.org.uk/Our_Schemes/ncc_verified_leisure_battery_scheme.aspx 

I wish unnamed battery supplier batteries were still on the market, they were excellent and my last one kept going for 8 years.  Admin: Why can’t I name them when they haven’t been in business for some time?

Edited by MalH

13 minutes ago, MalH said:

I wish unnamed battery supplier batteries were still on the market, they were excellent and my last one kept going for 8 years.  Admin: Why can’t I name them when they haven’t been in business for some time?

Agreed,mine has been going for eight years.

Ian

I got my last ones on Ebay do a search for Leisure Batteries, all sorts of non famous names there, I think my supplier was Alpha.

5 minutes ago, David 38 said:

I got my last ones on Ebay do a search for Leisure Batteries, all sorts of non famous names there, I think my supplier was Alpha.

Just looked my records up.

Was a Hankook 110Ah Leisure Battery from batterymegauk

Problem with vented lead acid batteries is they need maintenance. Even though I regularly topped it up my Banner Energy Bull lost a cell after 5 years.

I now have a Halfords AGM battery which is in fact a rebadged Yuasa. They are not cheap but I used a trade card to get 25% off. I have the exact same battery in my car.

This One

I'd start looking into Lithium. I am the exception to the above and only use a battery for the mover and the odd night dockside before the ferry, or if the ehu goes, so I have a 40ah car battery and it does the job fine.

I have a real weight issue so was looking at Lithium motorbike batteries. The leisure ones of the rating talked about above are very expensive but time will bring them down and it won't be long. The best part about lithium is that they can be charged back up very quickly presuming your glamp site owner would be swapping batteries over to charge, they are less than half the weight but crucially can be discharged to a much lower level and will provide linear power down to say 20 percent capacity. Some with very good battery management can go lower.

I'm toying with the idea of seeing how a Lithium bike battery would work my mover. I just need to get around the vans charger as it would not be suitable and is a combined charger/ psu for the 12v system.

5 hours ago, Jiffy176 said:

I'd start looking into Lithium.

If the blurb re Lithium batteries is to be believed is that if it is discharged to below 20 % of its capacity, it is in danger of being rendered totally useless, and we all know how easy it is to discharge batteries during use.

There are devices to protect against this but how many people actually buy and use them? 

I will stick to my AGM deep discharge with the above in mind.

I've got 16 boats at work, each one has 4 leisure batteries and 2 starter ones. Given the abuse that the leisure batteries get over a 40 week season  (fully charged to less than 10v in many cases on a regular basis), the standard DBS Leoch lead acid batteries last between 3 and 4 years, which is really good on boats all with 3kw inverters. If you're interested, linky:

https://dbsleoch.co.uk/

18 minutes ago, Pebble said:

I've got 16 boats at work, each one has 4 leisure batteries and 2 starter ones. Given the abuse that the leisure batteries get over a 40 week season  (fully charged to less than 10v in many cases on a regular basis), the standard DBS Leoch lead acid batteries last between 3 and 4 years, which is really good on boats all with 3kw inverters. If you're interested, linky:

https://dbsleoch.co.uk/

which batteries do you use out of their vast range:unsure:

3 hours ago, BOAC said:

If the blurb re Lithium batteries is to be believed is that if it is discharged to below 20 % of its capacity, it is in danger of being rendered totally useless, and we all know how easy it is to discharge batteries during use.

There are devices to protect against this but how many people actually buy and use them? 

I will stick to my AGM deep discharge with the above in mind.

A lot of the latest round of batteries have a built in battery management system that prevents over discharging. I wouldn't consider one with our this as it regulates the charging properly to.

Took my new (secondhand) bike battery out last week to waterproof all the electrical connections prior to a winter riding through swollen rivers. I was literally stunned at how light the battery was! I knew Lithium was light, but this was amazing. Shame it's only 2 AmpHour.

1 hour ago, AlwynMike said:

. I was literally stunned at how light the battery was!

Mine certainly isn't.   It's a much easier job to load the bike into the car if I remove the battery first.

1 hour ago, AlwynMike said:

Took my new (secondhand) bike battery out last week to waterproof all the electrical connections prior to a winter riding through swollen rivers. I was literally stunned at how light the battery was! I knew Lithium was light, but this was amazing. Shame it's only 2 AmpHour.

But I very much doubt it is only at 12 Volts; You need to work with the Watt Hour ratings of batteries to make comparisons.

So if this is at 36 Volts, that makes its energy storage 72 Watt hour, which if compared to our van's 12 Volts would be a 6Ah.

It is only 2 Ah. And 12 volts. The bike is 103kgs, and the only way to get it into my car is by dropping the wheelchair ramp........ it's a 250cc KTM.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jiffy176 said:

I wouldn't consider one with our this as it regulates the charging properly to.

Whey hey. A Chinese instruction. I wondered who wrote them :D

16 hours ago, matelodave said:

which batteries do you use out of their vast range:unsure:

Adventurer SFL 👍