Happy Daze

Door waste bins

I always used to use carrier bags and just hang it on one of the nobs of the cooker.  Problem solved.  Because there's little carrier bags about, unless you go onto the markets or some shops, I hang it on the door handle (inside), problem solved:D

• +1 1

Always use the Hartel in our van and find it very handy and easy to use.

Put one in our sons van (Swift Kudos), which didn't have a bin fitted.

Last weekend he broke the “D” ring that holds the bin liner in place, and in ordering a replacement, I learned that the lid of the Hartel has a fitment that is referred to as being a dustpan and brush.

Never knew that despite having had one for a good few years, although I can’t see that it would be of much use.

I use ours to keep the dogs towel, leads, brush and rolls of poo bags.

49 minutes ago, hp100425ev said:

Last weekend he broke the “D” ring that holds the bin liner in place

So did I! It’s very flimsy and easily snapped when removing an entangled bin bag. The replacement I got off eBay for £15 inc postage is reinforced and thus more sturdy.

18 minutes ago, MalH said:

So did I! It’s very flimsy and easily snapped when removing an entangled bin bag. The replacement I got off eBay for £15 inc postage is reinforced and thus more sturdy.

I super glued mine  in two places and its held so far.

6 hours ago, Custard Avenger said:

I was told by the dealer that my 2018 Sprite (with the useless door pocket) could not really take the door bin as the moulding was the wrong shape.  Did yours have the pocket?

It did. The pocket is glued to the inner liner in places as well as four pegs but is easily prised off. Despite what some dealers say, the door inner linings are identical for those with and without bins.

• Thanks 1

How many of you have ever noticed the dustpan and brush concealed in the lid?

4 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

Noticed it?

Fell out everytime lid closed.

Removed and discarded as too small to be useful anyway

We use ours, the size is more than adequate as recyclables are put in a box next to it.

Ours has the fire extinguisher in it

52 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

Use it often for brushing the steps.

I don't bother trying to slot the bag into the d-ring, just drape the top of a pedal bin liner over the top of the whole open bin. 

Clearly a “Marmite” subject. Some love ‘em, others hate ‘em! 

Me? 

Ambivalent!

Andy

• Haha 1

I don't use it as a waste bin as we often go out we just take any rubbish with us and bin it. In my bin you will find yellow  rubber gloves, floor cloth and dog bags and dog shovel in bag and of course the silly dustpan and brush for brushing cake crumbs off the table cloth, I presume. 

• Like 1

Bin?

i thought it was an emergency urinal. 

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Bin?

i thought it was an emergency urinal. 

Make sure you don't stand too close though as your feet will get wet.

• Haha 2

On 15/10/2019 at 20:04, GaryB1969 said:

It did. The pocket is glued to the inner liner in places as well as four pegs but is easily prised off. Despite what some dealers say, the door inner linings are identical for those with and without bins.

Thanks - I've not tried to remove it, but I've seen the pegs in the door lining. 

How does the replacement bin attach? does it reuse the Peg holes? 

21 minutes ago, Custard Avenger said:

Thanks - I've not tried to remove it, but I've seen the pegs in the door lining. 

How does the replacement bin attach? does it reuse the Peg holes? 

No but it covers them so you can't see them when fitted. Make sure you get a fitting kit with it (they are sometimes supplied separately). The fittings are four plastic blocks that come with a kind of plastic rivet/screw. These need a hole driĺling in the door liner. I also used a square of double sided number plate adhesive tape behind each one for added security. They are easy to fit, ours has been on for 18 months with no problems,  you just need to be careful with it when fitting a bin bag.

• Thanks 1

I have just had a look and it's held in place with normal screws, not plastic ones. I've took a few photos to show it, you can also see the holes left from the pocket which I sealed. You can also just make out the double sided tape behind the blocks.

2019-10-18 09.06.49.jpg

2019-10-18 09.06.29.jpg

Edited by GaryB1969
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

I have just had a look and it's held in place with normal screws, not plastic ones. I've took a few photos to show it, you can also see the holes left from the pocket which I sealed. You can also just make out the double sided tape behind the blocks.

That's brilliant. Thank you! The comments by my dealer kind of make sense now, as I'd assumed the bin would use the same holes as as the "pocket". 

• Like 1

On 15/10/2019 at 00:08, ReggiePerrin said:

We use ours with pedal bin liners (used to be free supermarket carrier bags) and a couple of mini bulldog clips to keep the bag in place.  Recyclables go in a collapsible crate outside the caravan beside the step.

I don't believe their is a bigger bin available but I think their may be a less prominent magazine rack that clips on in place of the bin.  The down side of the bin is that you can't have the door top half open,  bottom half closed with the flyscreen deployed/

We do the same.  I have noticed that lots of people just bung a bag in and they look a mess.  Using a bulldog clip and a bit of thought I get the top of the bag neatly hidden.  The bin holds a surprising amount of rubbish and does its job very well.  

Never had a door blind problem, clearly the bottom half of the door can’t be closed with the blind across.  But that’s obvious.  I would suggest, if that’s important to you just remove the bin.

John

On 15/10/2019 at 19:15, MalH said:

Ours too, replacement one is more substantial.  I have glued old one.

On 14/10/2019 at 21:29, BOAC said:

Yes, we do. Very handy it is too. Its surprising how much you can get in one. Lets face it, you won't have the same volume of rubbish that you do at home. I find ours adequate, but you can stick on a command hook and hang a large carrier bag on it if you want more rubbish space.

Is a " command hook" when the wife punches you ?

• Haha 1

Mine is in the garage with the spare wheel carrier and the other caravan  ‘spawns of the devil.’

Cant see the point of sitting in the same ‘room’ as your smelly rubbish if you don’t have to. A flip top bin, like we use at home,  but placed outside the door, is our choice.