Would I have done permanent damage?

Happy Daze

Being a newbie, I made the mistake yesterday trying to adjust the jockey wheel whilst unhitched yesterday by undoing the small lever. A mistake I hopefully won't make again. Anyway the jockey wheel suddenly collapsed down completely making the A frame and caravan front also collapse down fully. I managed to find someone to haul it back up with him directing me on how to get the jockey wheel back up. My question is would I have done any permanent damage to the caravan with this silly mistake?

It’s unlikely but..... 

with the legs down to the ground, get down on the ground and have a good look for any signs of damage. Also check no dirt of grit has got into the hitch head

Thanks all that's reassuring. Lost in the wilderness - I will check next time I'm out :)

This happened to me earlier this year when hitching up, although I had tightened the jockey wheel clamp on arrival and moved the van with the motor mover. But the breakaway cable was trapped under the hitch so was squashed underneath and although the steel looked OK I replaced it with a spare I carry.

Check yours is OK just in case

As a matter of interest, can't you tighten the clamp and then wind down the jockey wheel raising the front, lower the steadies, wind up jockey wheel and then lower the assembly again and wind it up again until caravan sort of level then lower steadies and finally adjust jockey to correct height?  We have a twin so does not affect us, but just wondering if this can be done with a single axle caravan.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

As a matter of interest, can't you tighten the clamp and then wind down the jockey wheel raising the front, lower the steadies, wind up jockey wheel and then lower the assembly again and wind it up again until caravan sort of level then lower steadies and finally adjust jockey to correct height?  We have a twin so does not affect us, but just wondering if this can be done with a single axle caravan.

Yes, that is how I raise the jockey wheel and front steadies  on to blocks on a sloping site.

Join the club we have all made some embarrassing mistakes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • I agree completely 3

2023 Suzuki Across Hybrid and 2016 Swift Conqueror 480 HT

5 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Yes - I've had to do this a few times.  On pitches which slope badly (and the front of the van needs to be high in the air.

I also had to do it when I needed the front very high to bleed the alde after changing the fluid.

18 hours ago, Happy Daze said:

Being a newbie, I made the mistake yesterday trying to adjust the jockey wheel whilst unhitched yesterday by undoing the small lever. A mistake I hopefully won't make again. Anyway the jockey wheel suddenly collapsed down completely making the A frame and caravan front also collapse down fully. I managed to find someone to haul it back up with him directing me on how to get the jockey wheel back up. My question is would I have done any permanent damage to the caravan with this silly mistake?

Been there, done that.

Very unlikely to cause damage but it does make you jump!

• I agree completely 1

23 hours ago, Happy Daze said:

Hi Happy Daze, welcome to the club, most of us has done the same, as others say I always now drop a leg if I need to alter the Jockey wheel, live & learn 

Coachman Platinum Pastiche 560/4

Santa Fe Premium 2. 2 CRDi manual 7 seat

Kampa Air Ace 400

A well known caravan retailer did this whilst under the van and so very nearly lost his life and it affected his eyesight ,he was very lucky thank goodness

• 4 months later...

As a fellow newbie, caravan ownership is far more involved than I ever imagined!  Hours to be spent looking for information and hints and tips.

If any caravaner ever tells you they have never done this ...........

They are lying !! 

To quote a well well used phrase “Worse things happen at sea”  The important thing to do is to remember never to do it again.

Another oft made mistake is to forget to unclip the over-run cable, I now carry a spare :rolleyes:

Andy

• Like 3

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

On 14/10/2019 at 21:07, Happy Daze said:

. . . the jockey wheel suddenly collapsed down completely making the A frame and caravan front also collapse down fully. I managed to find someone to haul it back up with him directing me on how to get the jockey wheel back up. My question is would I have done any permanent damage to the caravan with this silly mistake?

It is highly unlikely that you will have caused any damage BUT should this ever happen when you are alone, there is a safe way to bring the caravan back to level.

Assuming the front of the caravan is resting on the ground and the jockey wheel is not supporting any weight.

Ensure the parking brake is fully engaged.

Wind the jockey wheel handle until the wheel is fully retracted.

With the locking handle released lower the jockey wheel so it is in contact with the ground and then clamp tight with the locking handle.

Wind the jockey wheel handle to raise the caravan front approximately 200mm to ensure you do not disengage the threaded portion.

Lower both front steadies to the ground.

Wind the jockey wheel handle to retract the jockey wheel again, then release the locking handle to lower the jockey wheel to the ground, and clamp the locking handle again.

Wind the jockey wheel to continue raising until level.

If necessary, repeat until the the caravan front it is level.

Either lower all four steadies until firmly in contact with the ground if pitching the outfit, or retract the half-lowered front steadies if preparing to hitch to a towcar.

One of the most important checks before you even hook up is to check all the windows and skylights to make sure that they are secure and locked in place.  The check again.  Always make sure that the status aerial is lowered and preferably pointing rearwards.  Next make sure that the flaps over the water and gas connections are closed properly.  Only then think of checking everything else before hooking up. 

Many have a list that they carry with them and tick off the items before moving off.  The list can be quite long.  :D

23 hours ago, Durbanite said:

One of the most important checks before you even hook up is to check all the windows and skylights to make sure that they are secure and locked in place.  The check again.  Always make sure that the status aerial is lowered and preferably pointing rearwards.  Next make sure that the flaps over the water and gas connections are closed properly.  Only then think of checking everything else before hooking up. 

Many have a list that they carry with them and tick off the items before moving off.  The list can be quite long.  :D

And very annoying if you are pitched along side and the woman insists on reading each item off the list as loud as she can and hubby replies check, it went on for an hour. 

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2022 Buccaneer Cruiser registered in 2023.

5 hours ago, IanV8 said:

And very annoying if you are pitched along side and the woman insists on reading each item off the list as loud as she can and hubby replies check, it went on for an hour. 

Ian

Must be some lady, Mrs VV would be bored of that after 2 minutes.....actually, make that 1 minute :)

• Like 1

Powrtouch AWD Movers. E & P Compact Levelling System.

5 hours ago, IanV8 said:

Ian

Oh for heavens sake no!,  Its not as if its a piggin airliner is it?? 

Both wearing anoraks and bobble hats no doubt!  

Andy 

• Like 1

On 03/03/2020 at 04:49, SallyJJ said:

As a fellow newbie, caravan ownership is far more involved than I ever imagined!  Hours to be spent looking for information and hints and tips.

it's a good hobby with lots to learn and lots to Talk about. I suggest you get a tick list, these can be invaluable when someone comes over for a chat when you're halfway through something. 

• I agree completely 1

Happy Days

7 minutes ago, joanie said:

it's a good hobby with lots to learn and lots to Talk about. I suggest you get a tick list, these can be invaluable when someone comes over for a chat when you're halfway through something. 

One of the nice things about caravanning is that you are free to do things your own way. If you enjoy things like checklists, go ahead, for me no way!

4 minutes ago, Stevan said:

One of the nice things about caravanning is that you are free to do things your own way. If you enjoy things like checklists, go ahead, for me no way!

No problem with checklists, but sharing the list with everyone else??

It’s a bit like the muppets who always SEEM to be hard of hearing who plonk their (loud) TV’s in the awning and insist on “sharing” the audio with the rest of us!  We don’t ALL like Eastenders/Corrie/Love Island/bargain hunt or any of the other mind numbing dross that gets pumped out these days.

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 1

worst you could do is damage the A-frame cover or bend the arms on the jockey wheel, as a dealer moving caravans around all the time we still do it from time to time, we never learn!