pondskater292

"New" Lunar Press Release re: Warranty on old Lunar

“Dear Customer,
In August 2019, Lunar Automotive was formed to continue the manufacture of Lunar products to ensure that a brand that has been in existence for 50 years remains in the touring caravan market. The new owners are fully committed to ensuring our brand and products remain a strong choice for the caravanning public.

We are also very aware of the discomfort that many existing Lunar owners may be experiencing, specifically regarding any warranty provision.
Following extensive discussions and review of terms and conditions, Lunar Automotive Ltd have made the decision that, as a gesture of goodwill, they will endeavor to support claims for caravans sold by the previous company, Lunar Caravans Ltd. Please note this cover commences as from the original date of purchase and extends to models manufactured within the 2017, 2018 and 2019 seasons only. The caravans must be register with a full-service history to enjoy this warranty. Full Terms and Conditions will follow shortly.

For a claim to be submitted, your caravan will need to be assessed by your supplying dealer who will have to be a continuing Lunar Automotive dealer. Please speak to your dealer to check their current status.
We are aiming to restart production of caravans and parts as soon as possible but there will be a short term impact on deliveries following orders being submitted, meaning parts may not be readily available to dispatch straight away, further updates will be provided to the dealer network as soon as possible.

The new owners of Lunar Automotive would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your patience during this period, we do recognise that this has been a distressing time for all involved, but we can all now move forwards to a bright and successful future together.

Best Regards

Lunar Automotive Ltd

• Like 1

Good news at last for owners of the affected vans!

Strange though that they say "will endeavour to support" rather than "will honour", clearly they are aware of exceptions! 

Well I am pleased as an owner of a 2017 Lexon. But feel for the owners of slightly older ones.

I think the “will endeavour to support” statement is probably a (hopefully) technical get out in case some odd unique  item or part is no longer available for an “older” model. 

Having said that It’s vastly better than “Its a new company so we have no liability in respect if any of the previous company’s products” which is an attitude they COULD have adopted, so all credit to whoever has taken over, it shows a fair bit of commitment to existing owners as well as new ones and I sincerely hope the Lunar marque continues for many more successful years.

Andy

• Like 1

For a claim to be submitted, your caravan will need to be assessed by your supplying dealer who will have to be a continuing Lunar Automotive dealer. 

So if your dealer has dropped Lunar you're S-O-L.

25 minutes ago, Custard Avenger said:

That is my interpretation too!

It could be seen as a way of cynically retaining dealers when several may otherwise wish to disassociate themselves.

It's positive news. Production of touring caravans will start again. Lunar is an important competitor of the other manufacturers.

• Like 1

Just had a response from Lunar on a question I asked following the recent press release.

Basically if your supplying dealer is no longer going to sell Lunars then you are up the swanny without a paddle. So the warranty will only apply if your dealer carries on selling Lunars.

So not quite as good as originally thought as my supplying dealer are highly unlikely to carry on with this brand and they were a major Lunar retailer.

6 minutes ago, ascsbe said:

Basically if your supplying dealer is no longer going to sell Lunars then you are up the swanny without a paddle. So the warranty will only apply if your dealer carries on selling Lunars.

It is a cynical ploy by Lunar to try and keep the dealers on side.

Dealers still have their CRA obligations to their customers, but if they want assistance from Lunar with the cost of meeting those obligations they have to keep selling Lunar vans.

On 14/10/2019 at 14:24, Custard Avenger said:

On the face of it it seems that that is the case, but I wonder if the selling dealer dropped Lunar, could someone with warrantee issues possibly swap dealers to a current supplier and put a claim via them.

Also, I wonder how many have left the network.

John

6 minutes ago, JCloughie said:

On the face of it it seems that that is the case, but I wonder if the selling dealer dropped Lunar, could someone with warrantee issues possibly swap dealers to a current supplier and put a claim via them.

Also, I wonder how many have left the network.

John

Did not get that impression in the email, said quite clearly it had to be the supplying dealer. I have responded stating that it was very unfair on the customer who loses out just because the supplier has decided not to continue with Lunar.

Edited by ascsbe

Well I was at the show yesterday and spoke to the Director of the large dealership where I got my 2017 Lunar.

He assured me that whatever they decide to do with Lunar going forward they would totally honour my original warranty. Great news from a great dealership.

I have purchased a good few vans from them and was hoping for this response but was delighted to get it. Basically the van is over two years old and although great at the moment  I was worried about damp as it gets older.

Can I ask where the original post was sourced from?  I've checked the news pages of Lunar's webpages but couldn't see it.  

Thanks

8 minutes ago, Min said:

Can I ask where the original post was sourced from?  I've checked the news pages of Lunar's webpages but couldn't see it.  

Thanks

Using Google to search for part of the text took me to Lunar Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/lunarcaravansofficial/?pageid=932737453478367&ftentidentifier=2218301591588607&padding=0

Thanks, odd that they've posted into social media but not their own website.  That said, I wonder if the Lunar website is that of the old company. 

Perhaps a brand new Lunar website will be published once their 2020 range is launched.

Edited by Min

If New Lunar are accepting warranty responsibility for vans between 2017-2019, why are Lunar Dealers still offering 2019 vans at huge discounts.

Campbells are offering Clubmans at £18495 with a comprehensive 3 year warranty which includes an insurance based damp cover, but nothing after 3 years.

Maybe Dealers think there will be issues with the new Company.

2 minutes ago, hp100425ev said:

If New Lunar are accepting warranty responsibility for vans between 2017-2019, why are Lunar Dealers still offering 2019 vans at huge discounts.

Campbells are offering Clubmans at £18495 with a comprehensive 3 year warranty which includes an insurance based damp cover, but nothing after 3 years.

Maybe Dealers think there will be issues with the new Company.

2019 model year ended in August - 2020 model year started September - the fact that new Lunar are late releasing 2020 models doesn't negate the fact that 2019 models are a year old, hence a big discount - in addition, public confidence in the Lunar brand is low so further discounts are needed to clear the stock.

2 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

2019 model year ended in August - 2020 model year started September - the fact that new Lunar are late releasing 2020 models doesn't negate the fact that 2019 models are a year old, hence a big discount - in addition, public confidence in the Lunar brand is low so further discounts are needed to clear the stock.

The point I was making was not so much about the price but more about why are they not being offered with full 10 year damp ingress warranty if the new Lunar Company have supposedly accepted responsibility.

Edited by hp100425ev

2 minutes ago, hp100425ev said:

The point I was making really is why are they not being offered with full 10 year damp ingress warranty if the new Lunar Company have supposedly accepted responsibility.

Lunar provided a 6 year warranty - the 4 year extension to 10 years was provided by the purchaser taking out an insurance policy to cover the four years

1 hour ago, Easy T said:

Lunar provided a 6 year warranty - the 4 year extension to 10 years was provided by the purchaser taking out an insurance policy to cover the four years

I don't think that is correct as with our 2011 Lunar Delta TI it was a 10 year warranty no question and no need to take out an additional insurance policy.  I guess there is a possibility that the manufacturer or the dealer arranged the additional cover with an insurance company, but we never saw any documents?

7 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

I don't think that is correct as with our 2011 Lunar Delta TI it was a 10 year warranty no question and no need to take out an additional insurance policy.  I guess there is a possibility that the manufacturer or the dealer arranged the additional cover with an insurance company, but we never saw any documents?

Our 2013 Lunar was 6 years, no option to extend.

3 hours ago, Durbanite said:

I bought one 22 months ago and that was the situation then Durbanite. When I bought the previous one in 2012 it was just 6 years

Edited by Easy T

We were tempted last week whist nosing around Swindon Caravans, saw a Clubman SB at £20,995, Senora Medes is still keen to go for it, but I am more cautious, must say we both have had sleepness nights since

14 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

We were tempted last week whist nosing around Swindon Caravans, saw a Clubman SB at £20,995, Senora Medes is still keen to go for it, but I am more cautious, must say we both have had sleepness nights since

Before parting with your money I would do the following

1.   Insist on seeing the 2nd hand values of Lunar Caravans as shown in the guide that all salesmen have access to.  If they will not let you see how they compare then walk away. 

2.  Ask the dealer to put in writing what they are prepared to underwrite with regard to the warranty.  

Only when armed with with that information would I be able to make an informed decision.  

• Thanks 1