colin h

Jockey wheel.

I have just bought an Elddis Crusader Zephyr and during moving with the motor mover, the jockey wheel tends to drag on stones (pea gravel) . Unfortunately the storage site is made up with this and moving the van in between two others is now a bit of a drag...see what i did there.  Any suggestions on a new wheel...

When faced with gravel or lawn, many owners fit pneumatic jockey wheels.   Or a solid wheel which is the same size as the pneumatic type.

Edited by Jaydug

Cheapest solution is to lay some sheets of board down and run the wheel over them.

A more expensive way is to replace the wheel with an inflatable one, but they need more room than the usual rigid tyred one, plus the tyre has to be kept inflated.

Inflatable tyres seem to be wider.  This is where they have the advantage.  But even better would be a solid tyre but as wide as an inflatable.  If you have ever pushed a heavy  goods trolley with pneumatic tyres you'll understand.  Some jockeys are available with two wheels and these would dig into gravel half as much as a single.

The advantage of an inflatable jockey wheel is that the tyre of equal size gives a greater footprint. (The tyre bulge).

Still don't seem to have a solution to this. Trying to manoeuvre back into storage on pea shingle is a nightmare and tyre just digs in and motor mover spins the driven wheel on the spot.  I have even tried milenco boards under the wheels and mover drags them through like a conveyor belt and spits them out on the other side.

Have you tried putting a board under the jockey wheel, rather than the main wheels.  I've usually found that the main wheels grip OK provided that the jockey wheel doesn't dig itself into the gravel so putting the board there is probably more beneficial.

An  alternative is to try reducing the noseweight or lift the front of the van whilst manoeuvring to prevent the wheel burying itself into the gravel

• Like 1

Thanks shipwreck, I will try that next time. at the moment the van is virtually empty as its still new and we tend to pack the car rather than the Van. 

I assume your a matzot or was at some point. Ex Wafu here a very long time ago left in 85 after FGC

I assume you are reversing it in as that helps a lot? Did you fit better nose wheel as discussed earlier? Can you reduce nose weight for that particular manoeuvre by adding weight at the back or removing something from the front? 

How wide is your jockey wheel as that has a considerable influence, thevwider the better. I have a very wide solid one on my Bailey, it copes just fine with pea gravel type surfaces.  

Also is the jockey wheel “wound down” far enough so it’s free to swivel when changing direction? 

Third point, what’s your noseweight? If it’s too high that certainly won’t help matters.

Have you “loaded” the front of your caravan with “stuff” for storage purposes? 

Andy

Caravan is virtually as standard as we have not yet loaded it.( Newbies).  The wheel is a standard Alko fit

Yes, I have unwound it so it can swivel. Not sure but I think standard noseweight is 90kg

On the storage site it is very difficult to reverse in and gap between each vehicle is about 3ft but harder still is that vehicles in front are just one caravan length away.

Is this a new caravan. Is so it probably has a wide jockey wheel, but if it’s used then it could be any size as Jockey wheels come in all widths, that’s why I asked the question as some are MUCH narrower than others.  Mine is 70mm wide, I carry a “spare” and that is only 30mm wide! 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Yeh its a new Crusader Zephyr 2019. . Not sure my wheel is 70mm though much more like 30 0r 40mm.

Where did you get a 70mm wheel from?

5 minutes ago, colin h said:

Yeh its a new Crusader Zephyr 2019. . Not sure my wheel is 70mm though much more like 30 0r 40mm.

Where did you get a 70mm wheel from?

That could be the main cause of your problem! 

Jockey wheel is what came with the caravan from new, I would imagine most caravan accessory shops would carry them .

This looks exactly the same as mine (this seller is out of stock, but others must have them) 

Amazon have the same thing, also out of stock though! 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd