Sign in to follow this  
Graham YB

Load bearing limits on static caravan floors?

Does anyone know anything about load bearing limits on static caravan floors?

I want to bring a piano into mine, it could weigh around 200 kilos. 

Not sure if the floor could sustain it's weight.

I'd suggest that this is a question for the manufacture.

You could probably put some reinforcement and extra support under the proposed location (or get an electric piano rather than a cast iron one)

If you look underneath you will probably find the floor is a wooden frame over the chassis with chipboard floor boards so not very substantial. You might need to spread the weight over a larger area rather than just the piano feet but as already pointed out, you should ask the manufacturer of the static. There will already be heavy things in there such as a double bed and settee which when occupied might be 150 kg so a piano might be possible.

I suspect the floor would need reinforcing to take the weight of a piano. However if your on a typical static site I’m not sure how your neighbours are going to react to the ivories being tickled regularily, even if you play really well, especially if they go there for peace and quiet.... 

Are you in a static holiday caravan or a residential park home?

In both cases, as already said by others, you will need to ask the manufacturer about the weight and the best position for it - the overall weight is unlikely to be a problem, but "spot" loading may be, so (again as already said) you may need to spread the load so that it covers several bearers. You may also (probably will) need to relevel the van and add extra supports underneath.

The other questions are, do you have french doors into the room you want to put it in? 

If it is NOT a residential park home, how will you protect it from condensation in the winter when you are not there?

Have you checked whether your insurance company will cover it? (especially if your home is insured as a static, rather than as a residential park home).

200kg isn’t much. It’s less than the weight of 2 decent sized blokes. If you put a load spreader under the feet of the piano to reduce the psi pressure on the floor I can’t see why there’d be a problem with the weight.