Fuse box burnt out

The 230v plug sockets are quite separate to the 12v system and will normally unaffected by the position of the 12v isolator.

A single 12v fuse blowing once means little, but if it blows more than once or there are several blown it needs investigating further. If replacing the fuse does not fix it I suggest getting someone who knows what they are doing to have a "hands on" look.

1 hour ago, Tommy2704 said:

The fuse (van batt+) has burnt out. Plug sockets now work without main switch being on but no lights. No idea whats happened. Been ok up till now. Any ideas please. 

If by 'main switch', you mean the one on the panel near the door, then that only switches the 12v.  It would never have switched the power to the 240v sockets.   The 240v sockets will be on miniature circuit breakers. 

As the lights run on 12v, you seem to have a 12v system problem.  It does rather look as if you've had a bit of heat in the 12v fuse board.

19 minutes ago, Tommy2704 said:

The fuse has burnt out completely n burnt the fuse board 

20191012_184332.jpg

THat fuseboard probably needs to be replaced.

• Thanks 1

Probably a slightly loose fuse heating up and burning the fuse holder for the lights. Do you have any 240v lights? If not get a 240v table lamp to keep going.  Then an auto electrician to fix it, may need a new board. Good luck.

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, Tommy2704 said:

The fuse has burnt out completely n burnt the fuse board 

20191012_184332.jpg

It could be Gerry rigged short term by taking the wires off the back and fitting an inline fuse, but a new fuse board for a proper job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
56 minutes ago, Tommy2704 said:

The only thing that ive had done is had a motor mover fitted. 

I do not think that should have any connection with that fuse panel.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

I had a similar problem with a burnt out fuse board.

Sargent were very helpful in sending me a replacement board which I fitted.  There appears no real answer as to why it happened/happens possibly a 1 in a 1,000 manufacturing defect.

You will need to replace the fuse board.  Then I would pull each fuse to see what circuit each fuse protects and check the current of each fuse to ensure nothing is overloaded.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, bubble2015 said:

...There appears no real answer as to why it happened/...

A bad connection, usually.  The fuse plugs into cheap bent metal connectors.  And the connections to the fuse boxes are usually also push on connectors.

If you catch them early you can often bend them back into shape, but the OPs is too far gone and should be replaced.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Tigger said:

A bad connection, usually.  The fuse plugs into cheap bent metal connectors.  And the connections to the fuse boxes are usually also push on connectors.

If you catch them early you can often bend them back into shape, but the OPs is too far gone and should be replaced.

It was Sargent that couldnt explain why a 3 yr old fuse board should fail. They said they are tested to approx double the max rated fuse.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, bubble2015 said:

It was Sargent that couldnt explain why a 3 yr old fuse board should fail. They said they are tested to approx double the max rated fuse.

Oxidation of contacts, theyre only tinned copper, bad connection = heat, heat makes it worse and the end result you can see. 

16 hours ago, Tommy2704 said:

The only thing that ive had done is had a motor mover fitted. 

Have you used your motor mover with the 240v EHU cable (Electric Hook Up) still plugged in to the caravan?

If you have, then due to the load the Motor Mover puts on the Caravan battery the battery volts would drop, more current would flow from the battery charger to the Van battery which may have caused the fuse to get hot before it failed.   Also I would suggest getting the Battery Charger checked out as it may also have been damaged by the overload.

• Thanks 1

Common things happen commonly!

I suggest the most likely cause is poor connection of the fuse holder.

The use of motor mover when connected to the mains would cause current flow through the fuse. However if this fuse holder was in good condition then minimal heating should take place. if the current became excessive then the fuse would pop to protect the wiring.

I think a replacement fuse holder will fix the problem.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

Towing: More Brains than More Horsepower.

On 13/10/2019 at 16:04, David 38 said:

I do not think that should have any connection with that fuse panel.

Unless it’s been wired up incorrectly and a big fuse put into the board where there is evidence of burning out.

Admittedly it would have to be a spectacular level of incompetence in wiring up the motor mover though.

Olympus II 620-6 & Mitsubishi Shogun

Follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter

6 minutes ago, SteveMilner said:

Unless it’s been wired up incorrectly and a big fuse put into the board where there is evidence of burning out.

Admittedly it would have to be a spectacular level of incompetence in wiring up the motor mover though.

I can't see they could possibly get the mover size cabling onto that board, so somewhat self protecting.

Thoughts are, it was simply a poorly contacting fuse, there are enough amps in a van to burn up a lousy connection.

On 17/10/2019 at 12:48, JTQ said:

I can't see they could possibly get the mover size cabling onto that board, so somewhat self protecting.

Thoughts are, it was simply a poorly contacting fuse, there are enough amps in a van to burn up a lousy connection.

Good point.

Olympus II 620-6 & Mitsubishi Shogun

Follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter