Sign in to follow this  
Cavalier

Isolator switch

Hi does anyone know what thickness and current the cable needs to be between the battery and the isolation switch?

regards

Ian

Logically, it should be the same size as the main battery leads as it will be carrying the same current.

I think you are probably right, but if I want to order some from eBay I need to know  the spec ie: thickness and current.

What are you going to connect to it - just the van electrics or a motor mover?

In the end , it's not just the current carrying capacity but the length of the cables because you need to be aware of voltage drop as well - especially if you are running a mover.

Personally I'd use at least 10mm2 if there's only a metre between the battery and the switch, 16mm2 if it's more.

You will require 16mm2 for both positive (red) and negative (black) this will give you 110 amps, if you look in your manual nominal power use 20 amp maximum 120 amps on a single axle Truma mover, you will never see the 120 amp of the scale.

The caravan standard 12 v system is fused at 25 amp it will not take the load of a mover, have a look at this link you will learn a lot.

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/index.html

• Like 1

My Reich mover uses 10mm2 from battery to isolation switch for a 1/2 metre cable length

3 hours ago, Cavalier said:

Hi does anyone know what thickness and current the cable needs to be between the battery and the isolation switch?

It depends 1) on what isolator switch, and 2) what load is connected to it.  So we need that information asap.

Otherwise you'll get random numbers quoted by random strangers off the internet.  25 sq mm or 16 sq mm or 10 sq mm or 6 sq mm.  Any one of which may be correct and probably most will be wrong.

Mover installation manuals will usually specify the minimum cross sectional size recommended (and often state they mustn't be altered from the lengths as supplied, which is not 100% accurate but needs some technical nowse to calculate if you do need to do so).  [PowrTouch use 16 sq mm and fuse the red before the switch.  But it used to be a smaller cable and no fuse.]

3 hours ago, chrisn7 said:
  • My Reich mover uses 10mm2 from battery to isolation switch for a 1/2 metre cable length

The old Reich mover single axle which we had fitted to our old caravan (10mm2 100 amp fuse)  60 amps maximum twin axle (16mm2 150amp ) 90 amps. https://www.caravansplus.com.au/pdf/Reich Movers_Installation Manual FINAL.pdf. To be honest the Reich was underpowered.

The later Reich XT single axle use much more powerful motors requiring 150 amp fuse. 

OP has eMove and wants to move it due to Bailey's dealer poor fitting.  So we've all been wasting our time.  Wonder what size cable eMove supply?

16 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

OP has eMove and wants to move it due to Bailey's dealer poor fitting.  So we've all been wasting our time.  Wonder what size cable eMove supply?

Yes I am inclined to agree.

Thanks for all the replies, I have told Emove I want to move the isolation switch, they tell me this is ok and are going to send me the necessary cable.

Sign in to follow this