Sign in to follow this  
BOAC

Unforgettable memories of a trip away.

Last year we wanted to stay near Betws-y-Coed but could not find a campsite with vacancies but we went there anyway in the hope of finding one. On the way through Pentrefoelas there was a tidy looking farm with a large driveway so I pulled in there in pretence of mistaking it for a campsite while my co-pilot was giving me earache - as they do. 

The owner answered my knock on the door - nice bloke - and we 'hit it off' straight away. The long and the short is that I asked him if he would not mind if we pitched there for the night. He was agreeable and when asked if he would mind me paying him he suggested a fiver which I did not agree with, and I suggested a tenner, but if he could supply me with power I would give him £14. "No bother to run the extension from the barn". Its a good job I always carry the 13 amp to caravan inlet adaptor with me.

The whole weekend was immensely enjoyable despite a stroppy cockerel having a 'go' at me. I could tell he was going to when he stood his ground and by the death stare he gave me. The owner started laughing and told me to look Evan straight in the eye and show him I wasn't afraid. I did, and later, dabbing the blood off my leg with some tissue helped pass the time. I asked for an ambulance but was asked if a cup of tea and a bit of cake would do instead. Nice lemon drizzle cake it was too.

We were invited in the farmhouse for an evening meal on the Saturday, and we all got slightly niddled on some nice Italian wine. It was a fine evening, with good food and conversation.

I made it back from the farmhouse to the van without being assaulted by Evan, who, I was told was named after a GOG in the family.

On the Sunday, the owner took us to see his sheep, and when he called out "Lamb chop", one of the sheep came running up to him and we all stroked her and some others which Petal loved doing. We then had a brilliant demonstration of a sheep dog rounding up the sheep which was amazing. There is a lot of skill involved by the dog and master, and until we saw it we never appreciated just how much.

We ended up staying for three nights and a "Come back anytime". The whole weekend was a welcome change from the usual campsite routine and a bit of an adventure which added sparkle to the whole weekend despite my horrific disabling injuries.

We plan to go back and see the world famous Zip wire, but only if Evan has either been eaten or locked up.

Have you had any trips like ours, that have unforgettable memories?

• Like 3

What a brilliant story! You will remember it for ever!

What a wonderful story!

I did the big Zip-wire (it’s over a mile long :o ) in July for my sixty fifth birthday, it’s a VERY professional operation and a simply awesome experience. Mrs Plodd also did it, she hasn’t stopped grinning since. 

Andy

Lovely story.  We need a lot more of these on the forum to cheer us all up.  :D

• +1 1

Excellent story, one that will live with you for ever.

Alan

Brilliant,,, I have been past there, the sheep were out then as well,, es lovely in the valleys u know. ( in a welsh accent)  ;-)

sheep.png

• Haha 1

On 10/10/2019 at 18:11, Mr Plodd said:

What a wonderful story!

I did the big Zip-wire (it’s over a mile long :o ) in July for my sixty fifth birthday, it’s a VERY professional operation and a simply awesome experience. Mrs Plodd also did it, she hasn’t stopped grinning since. 

Andy

Well done Mrs Plod. I reckon Mrs BOAC would have her eyes shut all the way down :D

That's what used to happen quite often back in the 50s and also before the war.  Just turn up at a farm, and more often than not,  you would get a spot to stay.  My mum, when she was a girl (before the war), would tell me that her dad (my granddad) used to keep chickens including a cockerel.  She used to tell me stories about that thing (her words).  When she would venture out to the back garden, she'd carry a stick to use it on him because it always went for her:D

• Like 1