MEG55

Good Television

2 minutes ago, montesa said:

FWIW

We just have 2 modest size budget low cost (under £100 each) Freeview TV's with a DVD player on board mainly because of the high risk of theft, transit damage, damage getting them in & out of stowage, high excess on Insurance (if we even claim) etc etc. They work just fine.

Given most technology is out of date when you get home we prefer to just lag behind.

M

:goodpost:

Well put!  We have also a single cheapie, it does have a DVD player built in, BUT it isn’t HD and it’s doesn't have brilliant speakers. It’s only a TV for (occasional) use in a caravan for heavens sake so a) it’s  only a few feet away, and b) the volume level needs to be low to ensure it doesn’t annoy/impinge on other people nearby.

I have never understood why some people see the need to have huge overbearing  “boom-box’ TV’s in caravans taking up huge amounts of the limited available space anyway.

Andy

• +1 1

A boom box in a caravan ???  How ridiculous..  Using the van as a sound box is guaranteed to annoy those who are pitched nearby.  If the sound from the TV is not loud enough, invest in a pair of headphones or turn up your hearing aid. 

What  I really meant was having something like a sound bar and the volume cranked up a bit rather than an “actual” boom-box. But I bet someone has done it :rolleyes:

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

17 hours ago, JTQ said:

HD kicks in if there is the 1080 lines it requires, it is nothing to do with screen size but screen resolution. 

To be simplistic on TVs with a screen size of 40" is when you may start to notice the difference whether it is HD, UHD or whatever.  Below that it hardly makes any difference and probably zero difference on a screen size of less than 30".

• Confused 1

He difference between SD and full HD is very obvious on our 24" and I would never buy a tv for the caravan unless its full HD and 12 volts.

• +1 1

I have the older 21’ Finlux which is HD ready, and my brother in law has the 22” full HD Finlux and you can tell the difference in picture quality, similarly if we stream tv to the iMac which is only 21” the picture quality difference is quite pronounced 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

To be simplistic on TVs with a screen size of 40" is when you may start to notice the difference whether it is HD, UHD or whatever.  Below that it hardly makes any difference and probably zero difference on a screen size of less than 30".

So "simplistic" it totally misses the truth in our case, at least with my eyes and my wife's, others though might find their sight that challenged.

• Like 1
  • +1 1

41 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

You are welcome to your own (incorrect) view on this matter, but I -along with many others - can certainly tell the difference between SD and HD material on a small screen in a caravan. 

It's down to viewing distance of course.  The coding artefacts are also worse with MPEG2 cf H264.

We used a 22 inch for a long time but upgraded to a 26 inch as swmbo's poorer eyesight needs larger writing to read on the screen.

NB all TVs currently on sale - unless really, really old stock - will (to meet current Freeview certification) have DVB-T2 (aka HD) tuners in them and the screens will be HD ready as a minimum to boot.  

Anyway it gives me a good laugh when I read how people can tell the difference between STD and HD on a 21" screen.  My sires are now aching from the laughing so thanks for cheering up my morning!  Keep up the good work.    :D:D

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Anyway it gives me a good laugh when I read how people can tell the difference between STD and HD on a 21" screen.  My sires are now aching from the laughing so thanks for cheering up my morning!  Keep up the good work.    

Surely you aren't suggestion it is acceptable for goods not to be as described and of satisfactory quality. If a TV is said to be High Definition then there must be a noticeable difference, regardless of screen size, between Standard and High Definition modes.

The evidence of consumer experience on here seems to suggest there is a difference despite your debilitating achy side condition!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Excellent posts and have really cheered me up today.  Hope your day has also been filled with laughter!  :D

• Confused 1

I cannot believe that you can't see the difference between a SD tv and an HD tv. On our 24" it's obvious right away if we are watching a HD channel or not.

As I posted some way above, if you can't see the difference you're sitting too far away for the screen size.

For example in my twin dinette Adria, I have the TV at the centre of the window at the front dinette which we use as a lounge. 

On my 21.5 inch Visionplus set it is immediately obvious whether something is HD or SD when sitting in the lounge.

However,  when eating at the rear dinette, although the TV can easily be watched,  it is not possible to see the difference from that distance. 

We are delighted with our 22" Cello at £180 from Amazon.

Sound isnt too good but we always play it through our Bose mini.

On 10/10/2019 at 06:52, Jiffy176 said:

Picked up the Aldi 22 inch dvd Freeview, freesat earlier this year, great TV. Runs off of 12v as well as mains. Worth looking out for if you are not in a hurry.

We have this one - great value, picture, sound and good for 12v 

On 11/10/2019 at 16:59, AndersG said:

I cannot believe that you can't see the difference between a SD tv and an HD tv. On our 24" it's obvious right away if we are watching a HD channel or not.

Quite right, I don't understand it either. There is a massive difference, even on a 21 inch screen between HD and non HD. Just as a test watch the local BBC news (non HD) and compare with the main news (HD)!

David

12 hours ago, klyne said:

Quite right, I don't understand it either. There is a massive difference, even on a 21 inch screen between HD and non HD. Just as a test watch the local BBC news (non HD) and compare with the main news (HD)!

David

Not sure how evident the difference is on a 21'' but I think that whether it is worth paying more for a HD TV or not depends on the viewer and, I suppose, the programmes that they view. We have a HD TV at home and when setting it up some of the BBC animal type programmes looked stunning in HD. I have no idea how much content on TV that OH watches is in HD. I watch almost none and have no interest and so HD is wasted on me.

For caravan usage HD would not interest us at all. Apparently OH watched University Challenge once or twice some time during Christmas 2017 and we watched probably 4 or 5 programmes Christmas 2016 which would be the total usage in more than 500 nights away.  

• Like 1