MEG55

Good Television

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good 22/24" TV.  Max budget £200.  

Cheers.

We recently bought an LG 24" from Curry's for £160.  It has Freesat and Freeview built in, records to usb devices  (single tuner only) and has all the usual smart functions like on demand services at the touch of a button  but most of which will never be used in the caravan.  

It has no 12v facility but is lightweight with very good picture quality and reasonable sound for a small tv.   The matt finish surround and stand do not show up finger marks like our previous piano-black Samsung did either.

We chose this one for the Freesat feature in a caravan sized tv and having been away with it for about three weeks now, we rather like it.    Because we specifically wanted a small Freesat TV our  choice was very limited but if Freesat is not a requirement then there is a huge selection of suitably sized TVs.

LG 24TL510S 24" Smart HD Ready LED TV

I believe a non - Freesat version is available from Argos for around £140

• Thanks 2

Sounds a better bet than the Avtex  Mrs. TD got suckered into at the NEC last year. 😡 

Picked up the Aldi 22 inch dvd Freeview, freesat earlier this year, great TV. Runs off of 12v as well as mains. Worth looking out for if you are not in a hurry.

• Thanks 1
  • +1 1

Reggie,

Has that LG Tv actually got genuine Freesat ™, the trademarked British free to air satellite service, or just a generic free to air decoder?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freesat

Our Avtex has just the generic version, and after having the genuine Freesat ™ before we find this a bit of a pain with the loss of its EPG. Gets the same channels, but lacks the convenience we had.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only other more general points I feel are worth being aware of in buying a caravanning TV:-

1) Ensure the screen is well matt, as in our van's the amount of windows can make avoiding  reflections from outside a real pain.

2) Try out the speed of the "auto tune" system prior to buying; as we travel about a retune into digital Freeview is a frequent occurrence, if like out current Avtex this is a few minutes job it can be another real pain.

36 minutes ago, JTQ said:

2) Try out the speed of the "auto tune" system prior to buying; as we travel about a retune into digital Freeview is a frequent occurrence, if like out current Avtex this is a few minutes job it can be another real pain.

All Freeview tuners take a few minutes to retune! If time is THAT important when you are away in your caravan then I do feel a bit sad for you!

My routine is to set the TV to auto tune, then get on with something else, like making a pot of tea. I certainly don’t sit there thinking “Oh no! it’s going to be another three minutes before my TV is tuned in” 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • +1 1

Do you want an HD TV because the LG one quoted above isn't - it's HD ready, whatever that means but the screen resolution is not actual 1080p HD. However that said, you dont really need HD if you only sitting a couple of feet away from the screen. Generally if it says it's HD Ready, then it's not really an HD TV

What about an inbuilt DVD player which can be useful if you can't get a decent signal or there's rubbish on the TV.

Edited by matelodave

1 minute ago, rutlandwarrior said:

HD not really important on a tv of that size

Where here you are probably going to be sitting so much closer to the screen than say in your home lounge, I can certainly see the difference and appreciate it. Plus I regret our van's TV lacks it where all our home TV and our PCs have.
Whether, your credit any "importance" to the definition quality will be a very personal thing. As it can be offered I would be inclined to opt for true HD all other attributes being equal. 

I always like to see a TV working in a showroom so I can check the viewing angles, horizontally and vertically. Nothing worse than losing picture definition because you are not viewing from a position directly in front of a screen.

John.

2 hours ago, JTQ said:

Reggie,

Has that LG Tv actually got genuine Freesat ™, the trademarked British free to air satellite service, or just a generic free to air decoder?

It is 'genuine' Freesat...  postcode needed and everything.  Screenshot just taken:

80169AD9-0588-47D3-86BC-9E04D6147D4B.thumb.jpeg.5e55df34116d571386e12ffe24ac622e.jpeg

3 hours ago, rutlandwarrior said:

HD not really important on a tv of that size

Some non HD freeview channels are broadcast on an "HD" mux so if your TV doesn't have HD capability you don't get those channels. 

5 hours ago, Jiffy176 said:

Picked up the Aldi 22 inch dvd Freeview, freesat earlier this year, great TV. Runs off of 12v as well as mains. Worth looking out for if you are not in a hurry.

Are you able to use a wall bracket with this TV?

We have the Avtex 21" TV and no difference between STD ITV and HD ITV and other similar channels.  HD only really kicks in on screens 40" or larger.  Besides HD is now old fashion and it is all UHD nowdays.

SiL worked for Sky and was saying that I need an HD TV with 1080p, when I said that the SkyBox only outputs  at 780p so what's the point, he had to admit that that was true.  I then said,  that it matters not a jot what the format is, as we no longer have vision that benefits that much from high definition TV, although I do admit that what we see is an improvement on 405 lines!

We've got an LG.  Very good.  Whatever you go for, just watch the tv in the shop at slightly different angles, eg, take a long step to the side, as you may not have a good picture.  Some tvs have great pictures if you look at it straight on.  And in a caravan, you don't look at the tv straight on, you are usually slightly to the left/right

Problem with these modern telly's,  the sound isn't as good as the old fashioned ones IMO. Unless you fork out extra for a soundbar.

Edit:  just thought on, it could be cos I'm getting old and hearing isn't as good as it used to be!

Edited by Dave Capiro owner

3 hours ago, Durbanite said:

We have the Avtex 21" TV and no difference between STD ITV and HD ITV and other similar channels.  HD only really kicks in on screens 40" or larger.  Besides HD is now old fashion and it is all UHD nowdays.

HD kicks in if there is the 1080 lines it requires, it is nothing to do with screen size but screen resolution. 

5 hours ago, Durbanite said:

A couple of points, if you can't see the difference between HD and SD, you're sitting too far away for the screen size.

Secondly a full HD set is not absolutely necessary on a small screen,  as even HD ready resolution is likely more pixels per inch on a small screen than full HD on a larger screen, there's definitely a noticeable improvement in the picture. 

Thirdly 4K UHD is available on a few pay channels on Sky, other than that only on Streaming channels which are very bandwidth hungry at that resolution, not really practical in a caravan. It will never be available on Freeview because there isn't the capacity,  and what capacity there is will reduce even further next year with the shutdown of Com6 and  Com7 (the ones that carry additional HD channels and extra SD ones) so the frequencies can be taken over by the phone companies. 

As for the new kid on the block 8K Super UHD, there are currently only test transmissions available by satellite in Europe. 

6 hours ago, MEG55 said:

Are you able to use a wall bracket with this TV?

Yes, I think the brackets size is something like 200x100 but it has VESA lugs

In our caravan we had both Hitachi and LG 19 inch combi televisions. Both had good pictures and the LG is still in daily use at home, probably 8 years old now. When we got the motorhome we purchased a 21.5 inch Avtex combi TV principally because it had a built in satellite receiver so we didn't have to have a separate box. Not sure how old it is but probably 4/5 years and it has been excellent. Really good picture and I would certainly buy another which I hope I don't need to! Having said that if all you want is a 230v mains television the LG mentioned up thread would probably give you excellent service and picture. 

David

On 10/10/2019 at 06:37, Tuningdrew said:

Sounds a better bet than the Avtex  Mrs. TD got suckered into at the NEC last year. 😡 

Nothing wrong with Avtex, apart from the price, we have two, one came free with a new van, we were so impressed we bought another for the kitchen

FWIW

We just have 2 modest size budget low cost (under £100 each) Freeview TV's with a DVD player on board mainly because of the high risk of theft, transit damage, damage getting them in & out of stowage, high excess on Insurance (if we even claim) etc etc. They work just fine.

Given most technology is out of date when you get home we prefer to just lag behind.

M

For the OP's £200 budget they can  get a 22/24" TV with built in DVD player. Our Alba TV/DVD with Freeview was about £140 from Argos. I also bought a stand alone bluray player from Argos for £50.

Edited by LeadFarmer