JanP Norway

Long caravan on English roads

2 hours ago, Lutz said:

I agree that the law has no provisions for exceptions to be made for foreign visitors, but I am sure that if anyone arrived at the docks with a long caravan and was turned away, thus ruining their holiday plans, there would surely have been an uproar in one of the forums. After all, such a restriction is not something that a foreign visitor would normally reckon with.

Size is not an issue majority of our travelling community tow hobby caravans of that size with no issues on our roads everyday .

Dave

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, thebriars said:

Frankly, a much better solution in my opinion.  You are going for a holiday, you want to enjoy  it and have a stress free experience.  A motor home will allow you to stop on route more easily and explore.

:goodpost: He gives you good advice Jan

• +1 1

Hi Jan,  Come to Cornwall.  

IMG_0843.JPG

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

Size is not an issue majority of our travelling community tow hobby caravans of that size with no issues on our roads everyday .

Dave

Often with a tow vehicle over 3500kg, MAM, but if they don't, it is still illegal and I would rather give advice on what the law actually is rather than what you think someone may get away with.😉

• Like 2

19 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

European visitors with caravans over 7 m are tolerated on our roads

Are they? The reason I didn't buy a bigger caravan (European Twin Axle) is precisely because of the UK's 7m max body length rule. I wanted to be 'legal' when visiting the UK.

I can't see European visitors being 'tolerated' post-Brexit.

19 hours ago, JanP Norway said:

Me and my wife are thinking about to take a trip to England in 2020, or 2021. WE have  never been driving on roads with left side driving. With a car I think we'll feel pretty safe after 2-3 hours on smaller roads. But our challenge is the Caravan. The length of the caravan is 9,5 meters (nearly 32 feet). Together with the car the total lenght is about 48 feet.

Our plan is to visit the south of England, ending up in south west. My wife has been talking about The Isles of Scilly, after she met a nice lady from that place in a summer holiday some years ago.

I'm a bit worried to take out on British rods with a huge caravan. So I'm interested in hearing from other caravanist whom can give some good advise. We are also thinking about renting a motorhome in europe, and take the trip without the caravan.

So if anyone have time to help us with some advise we'll be very happy.

Jan and family

Sognefjell_1.jpg

No problem with the length of the caravan on British roads as you would be legal as your vehicle is not registered in Britain. 

Our caravan is 8.16m in length and 2.5m wide.  Just check with Google earth any roads that you might encounter along your trip and if too narrow then avoid.  Most caravan sites will accept a caravan of that length but you will need to check with the site before booking in.  In the UK most sites need you to make bookings in advance and a small deposit upfront. 

Obviously you cannot take the car, caravan or motorhome onto the Isles of Scilly but could leave the caravan on the mainland and do a day trip or maybe even stay overnight.

Edited by Durbanite
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Durbanite said:

No problem with the length of the caravan on British roads as you would be legal as your vehicle is not registered in Britain. 

Our caravan is 8.16m in length and 2.5m wide.  Just check with Google earth any roads that you might encounter along your trip and if too narrow then avoid.  Most caravan sites will accept a caravan of that length but you will need to check with the site before booking in.  In the UK most sites need you to make bookings in advance and a small deposit upfront. 

Obviously you cannot take the car, caravan or motorhome onto the Isles of Scilly but could leave the caravan on the mainland and do a day trip or maybe even stay overnight.

8.16m including the A frame?

The maximum limit in the UK is 7m excluding the A frame when towed by a vehicle with a MAM not exceeding 3500kg.  Read the link to the Govt. website earlier in the thread. In addition, there is no exemption to laws for foreign visitors in any country. If there was you wouldn't need marker boards in Spain!

Edited by Legal Eagle
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Legal Eagle said:

8.16m including the A frame?

The maximum limit in the UK is 7m excluding the A frame when towed by a vehicle with a MAM not exceeding 3500kg.  Read the link to the Govt. website earlier in the thread. In addition, there is no exemption to laws for foreign visitors in any country. If there was you wouldn't need marker boards in Spain!

The Vienna Convention on the temporary import of vehicles is designed to allow vehicles which are legal in their own country to visit other countries without penalty.

21 hours ago, moorgate said:

Hi Jan,  Come to Cornwall.  

IMG_0843.JPG

Thank you. This is an challenge I like. But not because I will end up in such a road.

Due to the input for u all I see that for an good summer holiday we have to plan the route. Which mainroads to take, and plan a route with campsites we can enter, before we leave from Norway.

When u go to an totally unknown country u must be prepared to meet challenges u never had been thinking of. Smallcommunities like the picture is game over. After many years on the roads I know that for an trip to Cornwall area I have to do my homework months before leaving.

And a great thing here is that u all will help us to get an holiday without too big challenges. Often we plan the ending place, but make an holiday on the road and stop some places we want to see more of. And in our country there is nature experiences everwhere. We often stop nearby rivers, in the mountain ares around here. In summertime it's daylight at midnight  up here in the middle of Norway (Trondheim). The sun goes down at 2330, and is up again at 3 o'clock.

The caravan has 320 solar panels with 30A MPPT controller, 200Ah LifePo4 battery, 2000W sinus Inverter, Optima Yellow 75Ah extra battery for the  Truma XT4 Mover. The heating is Alde 3020, and the caravan is well insulated with XPS. So we don't need electricity . But for our trip to Cornwall we will go for campsites.

Here is an picture from last summer, taken at midnight. The place is at "Dovre", if anyone has been in the area.

Hjerkinn.jpg

Edited by JanP Norway
Some text placed wrong, moved for correct place

59 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

The Vienna Convention on the temporary import of vehicles is designed to allow vehicles which are legal in their own country to visit other countries without penalty.

Annexe 1, paragraph 1 of the Convention clearly states that countries can refuse entry to visiting foreign motor vehicles and trailers if their mass or dimensions exceed those permitted by the domestic legislation of the country being visited.

All motor vehicles and trailers must comply with the Technical Conditions laid down in Annexe 5 of the Convention.

Edited by Legal Eagle

Legal Eagle: I'll try to check out this. I'm member of a Norwegian Caravan Club, and also a organisation like the german ADAC.  And they know what are legal or not when taking a long caravan abroud. I'll tell you what the result is, of course. But keep on giving me advices. I will never forget to listen to the locals. To go out on unknown roads in an (for me) unknown country is not an topic. Good planning will please my wife, also. And a happy wife is much better partner on holidays!:)

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, JanP Norway said:

Good planning will please my wife, also. And a happy wife is much better partner on holidays!:)

Wise words JanP, happy wife = happy life.

If you do take your Giant Dethleffs to the UK the ferry might be easier than the tunnel. My car & caravan are around 13m  In length and my caravan is also 2.5m wide, there’s only a few cm’s either side of the tyres inside the train and it is several hundred meters in length, access onto the ferry is easier. For a more relaxing journey I’d recommend the Rotterdam-Hull crossing.

• Like 1

I saw that the Danish caravanist I mentioned had a 230cm wide caravan.  And the Ferry Rotterdam Hull will be noticed, sounds great!

Train was never an option. Ferry is our choice, if #Legal Eagle let us in to Cornwall!!:)

23 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

Dave

Towed by pickup trucks > 3500kg so therefore legal.

Pick ups (Ford Ranger, Mitsubishi L200 etc) all have GVW’s of less than 3500 Kg so are therefore not allowed to tow caravans with a body length in excess of 7m in the UK.

My Shogun can tow 3500 Kg but it may not tow JanP’s TA Dethleffs legally in the UK. The fact that it’s German registered is irrelevant, hence I didn’t by a German TA caravan.

There are some motorhomes that are very long, so some sites may be able to accommodate your caravan.  Best to check first though.

There are no car ferries to the Isles.  Also, check if you are going to any other islands, eg, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands, who do not allow caravans at all, only tents or trailer tents and folding campers.  Also beware of very narrow lanes in Cornwall.  I've been down some lanes with car only, and both sides of the road have had bushes scraping down the sides, and you only have inches before hitting dry stone walling, which the bushes do hide, especially in summertime when the foliage is thick.  Same applies in Kent.

As some have said, hire a motorhome instead

Jan, it is not a good idea to bring your caravan to the U.K.  Hiring a motorhome makes more sense.

There is definitely no car ferry to the Isles of Scilly.

On 10/10/2019 at 03:49, JanP Norway said:

Me and my wife are thinking about to take a trip to England in 2020, or 2021. WE have  never been driving on roads with left side driving. With a car I think we'll feel pretty safe after 2-3 hours on smaller roads. But our challenge is the Caravan. The length of the caravan is 9,5 meters (nearly 32 feet). Together with the car the total lenght is about 48 feet.

Our plan is to visit the south of England, ending up in south west. My wife has been talking about The Isles of Scilly, after she met a nice lady from that place in a summer holiday some years ago.

I'm a bit worried to take out on British rods with a huge caravan. So I'm interested in hearing from other caravanist whom can give some good advise. We are also thinking about renting a motorhome in europe, and take the trip without the caravan.

So if anyone have time to help us with some advise we'll be very happy.

Jan and family

Sognefjell_1.jpg

Mate, I doubt you would be taking the caravan to the Isles of Scilly in any case ,as all vehicles have to be cleaned on and off the boat.  Whilst the main roads down into Cornwall are fine, once off those you really need to choose your routes carefully. That outfit of yours would struggle on even some of the major roads.

As #Legal Eagle" says, 7 meters is max. And he is probably right. From this side on the www:  https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/weight-and-width-limits   I can reed this:

"Width and length

The maximum trailer width for any towing vehicle is 2.55 metres.

The maximum length for a trailer towed by a vehicle weighing up to 3,500kg is 7 metres. This length does not include the A-frame."

So the caravan must be placed  outside England. Plans are to be changed. Will continue to see what to do. But  still along time before we leave for England. I'll ceheck the A-frame, but I don't think its's 2.5 meter. :blink:

On 12/10/2019 at 10:23, Towtug said:

Mate, I doubt you would be taking the caravan to the Isles of Scilly in any case ,as all vehicles have to be cleaned on and off the boat.  Whilst the main roads down into Cornwall are fine, once off those you really need to choose your routes carefully. That outfit of yours would struggle on even some of the major roads.

No, I know it's not possible to take  a ferry to the Island of Cilly. And I also remember from years back when checking more about the Islands that the only way to get there is without a car.

On 12/10/2019 at 10:23, Towtug said:

When we went to the Scilly Isles, we took our caravan across the Channel to England, drove to a campsite near St Agnes in Cornwall and left it there for our flight from Newquay to the islands.

As it happened, I left my binoculars in the gardens at Tresco, but they were found and flown by helicopter for free to Plymouth where I was able to pick them up. Great service!

Edited by Lutz

We love Scilly, especially St Agnes, but camping there is only for the hardy.

IMG_0844.JPG

Edited by moorgate

I've visited Scilly three times by sailing boat, and had a fantastic time and never been to St Mary's!  Love Bryher, St Agnes and St Martin, and walked at equinoctial low tide from Bryher across to Tresco, then along the beach and crossed to Samson... Bit of a wade on the way back though!

Thx to all of you. We'll go to the Scillys, but not as planned. We'll check out for renting an motorhome in Holland I think, so everyone can relax. Never will u see this caravan on British roads. But I will keep on being on this forum, and maybe we'll meet some of you on our trip. In 2020 or 21.

Here is in inside pic showing why we love this size. A lot of room, and high quality finish. And we are travelling about 8-9000 km every year, from early spring to late autumn. But summer is shorter nere up in north, so not much on the roads in winther.

Dethelffs_ny2.jpg

Dethleffs_ny1.jpg

Dethleffs_ny3.jpg