Scooby1

What is the yearly cost of the upkeep, storage, insurance, service,

Hi All,

I’m in a big dilemma and I’m hoping to get some advice here.

We have two young children 1 and 3 years old, and money isn’t as it used to be with nursery fees mortgage etc. we was mortgage free and child free for a few years, children came then a bigger house and a mortgage.

I know my children will love caravanning and I also know you don’t have to travel 100s of miles to make them happy.

My question is.

What is the yearly cost of the upkeep, storage, insurance, service, I will need to put my caravan in storage.

The cost of up-keep depends  partially on age and value.

If new, servicing is compulsory for warranties so expect c. £250- 300 per year for that outside of warranty you can choose the level of work required and some do it themselves. 

Insurance varies on value eg. mine is 14 years old and costs about £110 per year on a value of 6k  A 20K new van is going to be £350 plus, others will help you with a more precise estimate.

You will probably need a  breakdown cover policy designed for caravanning as the existing one may not provide the right recovery options for you. 

Don't under-estimate spending on gadgets and replacement bits as stuff frequently breaks or wears out.

I keep mine on the drive so I can't assist with storage costs.

Storage costs vary enormously depending on location and quality, according to other recent threads, anything from £ 250 to £800 per year.

Any idea yet what your budget might be and whether single or twin axle preference?

Posted (edited)

Scooby , Good answers alteady.   Add in the cost of buying a caravan, finance charges if you are borrowing, depreciation every year,  plus  site fees when you go out ....and none of my own children your age and in your situation would buy a caravan . It's not cost effective for them these days, nor do they have the time to make full use of one. They rent a static on a good site for one holiday a year .

Edited by moorgate

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, moorgate said:

Scooby , Good answers alteady.  

The answer to most of these questions is 'how long is a piece of string'. Insurance cost depends heavily on where you live or, more correctly, where the storage address is, and the level of cover wanted. I am in a CHester postcode and pay £250 to cover a £25,000 caravan including mover new for old with the caravan club. I don't cover contents. Best way to get an idea is to go to an insurers website and fill in a dummy application online.

My neighbour paid £170 to get his caravan serviced by a mobile chap which is a cheaper option than most dealers if there is somewhere for the work to be done - often not possible in storage. You can phone any dealer or workshop and ask for prices in your area. As far as I am aware (and in my experience) the caravan insurer requires that the caravan is regularly serviced and may well request evidence in the event of a claim. 

Storage varies greatly on price across the country. I store at home but around me about £400 to £500. 

Edited by Easy T

Just as a guide for my 2019 Bailey Vigo insurance £376, storage £360, I expect the service will be around £200 - £250

19 minutes ago, oldboy said:

Just as a guide for my 2019 Bailey Vigo insurance £376, storage £360, I expect the service will be around £200 - £250

The above is about were I’m at on my 2017 Elddis Affinity- insurance with caravan club £404 storage £400 and service at main dealer £225.

Service - £280pa

Insurance - £180pa

Storage - £500pa (it is undercover so can be cheaper if you are outside)

Breakdown cover - £135 for one annual trip to France, the rest of the time my Nationwide breakdown cover is all I need.

So that’s about £1100 before it has turned a wheel.

Storage : £260

Insurance  : None  {old but dry van }

Servicing   : So far zero as I do all my own apart from Gas. So far no issues on the gas side due no unforseen fluctuations in flow or colour change in gas . (replaced one RDC )

GAS ...  

Posted (edited)

To get an idea of site fees when on holiday have a look at the Caravan and Motorhome Club sites and the Camping and Caravanning Club sites but it will be around £30 to £40 a night for a family but smaller certified locations can be a lot less. The secret to getting the cost per holiday down is to go away often then the overhead costs of storage, insurance, servicing are less per holiday. If you only go away for 1 or 2 weeks a year then there are cheaper alternatives to a caravan.

For us storage is £420 a year, insurance £300 a year, Green Flag Mayday breakdown cover £134 a year for 2 of us, service about £200 to £250 depending on whether anything is broken but there are sometimes things like tyres, battery that need replacing. Gas use depends on whether you use sites with electric hook up and how much cooking is done.

Edited by Paul1957

5 hours ago, Grumpy Auld Smeesh said:

Storage : £260

Insurance  : None  {old but dry van }

Servicing   : So far zero as I do all my own apart from Gas. So far no issues on the gas side due no unforseen fluctuations in flow or colour change in gas . (replaced one RDC )

GAS ...  

The 2 storage sites I have used wanted to know our insurance details, probably so they knew we had third party cover in case we/our caravan caused damage. Then the insurer wants it to be serviced once a year but that does not mean you have to pay for that if doing yourself. If not in storage you could get away without insurance and servicing although not servicing is not to be recommended.

2 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

The 2 storage sites I have used wanted to know our insurance details, probably so they knew we had third party cover in case we/our caravan caused damage. Then the insurer wants it to be serviced once a year but that does not mean you have to pay for that if doing yourself. If not in storage you could get away without insurance and servicing although not servicing is not to be recommended.

Been in the same Storage for the last 25 years including a 2 year break. Never once asked for insurance details. Storage is double locked and only open between 0700am and 0700pm entering vis a security numbered electric heavy duty gate. Have had my vans insured in the past but being I think a  (2008 Elddis Avanti cannie mind )  and only getting out 3 or 4 times a year didny bother. Sadly only been out once this year so far .....:(

GAS ...:unsure:

Storage  :    £0

Insurance :  £0

Servicing :   £0 (apart from any replacement parts needed)

22 minutes ago, Bolingbroke said:

Storage  :    £0

Insurance :  £0

Servicing :   £0 (apart from any replacement parts needed)

Storage - !

Insurance - you can afford to stand the cost of buying a replacement caravan if it gets written off?

Servicing - You take your caravan on public roads, to public caravan sites, and you stay in it without ensuring it is road worthy, or electrically or gas safe?

Not saying you are the only one that does this, but so far the only one to admit to it.

I have my caravan fully insured old for new on the premise that if I can’t afford £400 a year to insure it as there is no way I can afford to find £26,000 to replace it.

It is serviced annually by my local engineer,  including brake strip and check/adjustment, gas and electrics are tested, and a damp check, so I know my caravan is not unsafe or a risk to others.

We are fortunate to have enough room for it to be stored on a hard standing next to the house.

Slightly different for me not living in the UK but here's how my annual costs add up (not including buying the thing in the first place or having to buy a tractor to pull it)

Insurance: 560€ (it would cost me 40,000€ to replace, I could just have 3rd Party for 20€ but it's not worth the risk)

Storage: Nothing, I keep it at work. (local storage is 720€)

Servicing: It gets a TUV (MOT) damp and gas safe check every 2 years. There's not that much to service, it's a tin box on an axle. Costs around 100€ I think.

Site Fees, Fuel, Road Tolls, Ferries, Camping paraphernalia etc: An absolute fortune!!!!! 

On 09/10/2019 at 08:57, Scooby1 said:

My question is    What is the yearly cost?

My van is a well-looked after nineteen year oldie which when I bought it eight years ago, I paid £5000.   I guess it's still worth around £1500, so

Depreciation is around £400 per year.

Insurance costs less than £100.

Under-cover storage is at home, so £0

Maintenance is DIY.   Replacement parts this year has been £60 for a new pump, a thermocouple and an energy meter.

So if you want to include depreciation, a total of £560 for the year.

I've spent 140 night in the van.

122 nights in Spain cost £1170

8 nights in Stratford £140

10 nights in Norfolk £170

So a total of £1480 giving an average of around £10 per night.

Good sites can be found in popular areas at the height of summer for less than £20.   During August of last year I stayed at a CL with electricity and toilets & showers (although the shower was on a coin meter) which was only a mile from a lovely Devonshire beach.   The site fee was £15 per night.   Excellent value even for me on my own.   But what a bonus for  dad, mum and two kids who were next door to me!

2 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Storage - !

Insurance - you can afford to stand the cost of buying a replacement caravan if it gets written off?

Servicing - You take your caravan on public roads, to public caravan sites, and you stay in it without ensuring it is road worthy, or electrically or gas safe?

Not saying you are the only one that does this, but so far the only one to admit to it.

I store it on my drive.

If it got written off or stolen, I'd either replace it or do without it - I'll decide at the time.  I don't think a 20 yo caravan is very likely to be stolen anyway.

I didn't say it was not serviced, I said that I paid nothing because I service it myself (I left a clue in adding that any replacement parts cost me). Plenty of others here have said they do the same.  I'm not "admitting" it, I take a pride in being capable of it, and doing a better job than most professionals would. I can say that as I have have had a career in engineering, which included a period as a foreman in a car dealer's workshop, experiences which have not left me with as much admiration and confidence in car/caravan professionals as some other people seem to have.

I service and repair my own car too.

Edited by Bolingbroke
  • Like 1

From Jaydug's post, it looks as if insurance for a 20 year old caravan would be less than £100. If this gives cover to third parties it would be worth considering.

If I had room at home I would service our caravan. I have always serviced our cars apart from  things I have been unable to do or when covered by a warranty but even then I have serviced the brakes since that is not part of a dealer service. I understand the respect mentioned about dealer servicing and always check after.

Edited by Paul1957

If you're on a tight budget, what's wrong with camping?  No servicing, no insurance, no storage fees, no breakdown (only car).  And you can go anywhere.  That's how me and hubby started off, and worked our way up.  No problem.  And you don't have to up your car if its too light to tow anything.  We covered most of western Europe, except Spain/Portugal and most northly countries, eg, Denmark, Sweden. etc

• +1 1

3 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

From Jaydug's post, it looks as if insurance for a 20 year old caravan would be less than £100. If this gives cover to third parties it would be worth considering.

That's right!   This years Caravan Club Standard premium was £97.50 with a £100 excess.   But the premium includes some deductions for several years no claim, etc.   However the value I put on the van was £4000.   That needs reducing next year.

21 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

I have always serviced our cars apart from  things I have been unable to do or when covered by a warranty but even then I have serviced the brakes since that is not part of a dealer service. I understand the respect mentioned about dealer servicing and always check after.

A favourite item for time-pressed professionals to skip on car services is inspecting parking brake shoes (eg in combined rear disc/drum designs), because they get little wear. They are in the service schedule though. My car was 7 years old when I bought it with service history including recent by a well-known company.  But I found the rear disc/drums were rusted onto the hubs, possibly never been off in their life.  I had to remove both rear half-shafts complete with all the brake gear and handbrake cables (removing interior carpets and consoles)  to get them into the workshop for torching and sledge-hammering to get the disc/drums free.  The professionals had saved themselves a few minutes, causing two days hard work for me.

Three weeks after I bought, it all the engine oil blew out over the motorway because the same garage had not fitted the filter seal properly, but that's another story.  I should have done a full service myself as soon as I had bought it.

My car is fairly uncommon, main dealers few and far between, and pigs to work on (I've worked on many different cars). According to our owners forum even some of those dealers refuse to work on them other than basic servicing. The few dozen on our forum are 50-50 amateur and professional, and we help each other; between us we probably know more about those cars than anyone else in the UK :)

9 hours ago, Bolingbroke said:

My car is fairly uncommon, main dealers few and far between, and pigs to work on (I've worked on many different cars). According to our owners forum even some of those dealers refuse to work on them other than basic servicing. The few dozen on our forum are 50-50 amateur and professional, and we help each other; between us we probably know more about those cars than anyone else in the UK :)

Based on my car ownership, there's far more knowledge on a model-specific car forum than franchised dealer workshops.

• +1 2

19 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

Based on my car ownership, there's far more knowledge on a model-specific car forum than franchised dealer workshops.

Completely agree!!!! Many years ago (20) I had a Kawasaki GTR 1000 motorcycle.  The model had been blighted by a bad review from the press and no more than about 50 per year were imported into the UK.  However, there was a mailing group (remember them?) in the States that saved me a fortune!  I had pulsing in the clutch, which a dealer said was £450 quid... I eventually replaced a back lash spring (£6 + £40 for tools) without even draining the oil thanks to the Mail group

On 11/10/2019 at 10:30, Bolingbroke said:

But I found the rear disc/drums were rusted onto the hubs, possibly never been off in their life.  I had to remove both rear half-shafts complete with all the brake gear and handbrake cables (removing interior carpets and consoles)  to get them into the workshop for torching and sledge-hammering to get the disc/drums free. 

I think I would have used an angle grinder to cut the drums/discs off whilst still on the car.