Sign in to follow this  
WispMan

Some news from Spain

I am in Spain (no caravan) as we come here to visit daughter, SIL, and 3 grandsons every October and April. Then we sometimes come again in December and February if the flights are cheap. They have their own business making motorbike body parts and have built a 3 bed bungalow for us.

We arrived on Oct 3rd for a 2.1/2 week stay and had our first ice on the car the day we left. Every day here in Spain is hot and I mean really hot. Hotter than at any time this summer in tbe UK. As I write this at 7.30 am it is  20 and it will go above 30 in the afternoon. Sleeping is not easy and the afternoons can be almost unbearable if the humidity is high. Cloudless days and nights give great views of the sky at night. And it is October.

We are in Andalucia just north of Almeria near a desert, Tabernas desert, the only desert in Europe. A lot of spaghetti westerns were filmed here and we just never see rain. My daughter has a lovely cactus garden as most normal flowers just die from the heat. You would  have to be mad to caravan here but people do, especially motorhomers. Some friends nearby are in tge throws of finishing off a small family run caravan/MH site. About 30 pitches all hardstanding with 6A EHU. The cost per night is expected to be €11. I don't understand how they can charge so little. I hope to do a review sometime when the final permissions come through.

GAS

Repsol 12.5kg bottles  cost us €12,10 at the local petrol station, €2 cheaper than a year ago. Repsol are govt run and they control the price.  Repsol bottles are orange. CEPSA  bottles are silver and red, privately owned and cost €2 more than Repsol.

These prices are much cheaper than what we pay in the UK for 4.5kg Calor gas.

You are in a hot part of Spain and it sounds as if you need aircon!

We are in our caravan on a site in the Sierras near Murcia. Lovely weather, incredible views, 18€ a night with ACSI.

We have used the aircon a couple of afternoons, the nights are cooler and last night the heating came on.

Please  post details of the site your friends are setting up as it sounds good for the winter months.

I'm just back from a 3 week driving trip to Catalonia, staying in an apartment. Only rain we had was in the last but one day driving towards Rouen. Perfect weather every day in Spain around 25 to 27 degrees. Not many visitors around Platya d'Aro with campsites we passed closing down for the end of September. Motorhomes about and parked (sited) along an open street through wasteland with tables and chairs defining their pitch.

Before we left the UK I filled the car with V-Power diesel  at £1.389 / l. In Platya d'Aro V-Power diesel €1.359 /l (£1.21 /l)  .

A very pleasant 3 week holiday on smooth and quiet (traffic and road noise) roads. Very relaxing.

John.

I have just been up to the site and it should get final permissions to be able to open in January but Spanish burocracy determines that. The views are to die for with fantastic sunsets. Got a large pool and boules area. Nearby are Sorbas caves, film studios and zoo, Almeria motorbike circuit,  hiking and biking. Their market is stopovers of 1 to 3 days as people travel south to Caba de Gata or north to Murcia. Very informal and small site. About 2kms from Almeria to Sorbas road, N340.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, WispMan said:

We are in Andalucia just north of Almeria near a desert, Tabernas desert, the only desert in Europe. A lot of spaghetti westerns were filmed here and we just never see rain.

Each winter I go to Spain and I try to take a different route when going from north to south.   In 2017 I went down the eastern side and dropped by to see the Tabernas Desert.   It really is a fascinating spot.   The first pic was taken when I went to visit one of the "Western Studios".

P1010333.JPG.2c4c29a37bc524966b77cfb9063bedb7.JPG

If you've seen any of Clint Eastwood's western films, or Exodus or Lawrence of Arabia, they were all filmed around here.   The tank battle scene in "Patton" was filmed on the flat plain at the top centre of the second pic.

P1010399.JPG.7b9d2b4395310556ea11aa4b946b5ee1.JPG

Edited by Jaydug

John - when are you off ? 

We are all waiting for the resumption of your blog............

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, John19 said:

I'm just back from a 3 week driving trip to Catalonia, staying in an apartment. Only rain we had was in the last but one day driving towards Rouen. Perfect weather every day in Spain around 25 to 27 degrees. Not many visitors around Platya d'Aro with campsites we passed closing down for the end of September. Motorhomes about and parked (sited) along an open street through wasteland with tables and chairs defining their pitch.

Before we left the UK I filled the car with V-Power diesel  at £1.389 / l. In Platya d'Aro V-Power diesel €1.359 /l (£1.21 /l)  .

A very pleasant 3 week holiday on smooth and quiet (traffic and road noise) roads. Very relaxing.

John.

Us too have just arrived home from Catalonia where we spent the month of September, I can honestly say that it was the worst weather we have experienced in 20 years of visiting the area. we had 10 days of high winds The Transmontana, I renamed it the Tramadol.as it gave me a headache !! within the 10 days we had three days of continuous rain, then great weather for a few days and then a full day of very heavy rain where the site roads were flooded, some unfortunate campers awnings were flooded out, Platja d;Aro is only 20 miles or so from where we were !!!  so you were very lucky

Edited by Les Medes

10 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

Us too have just arrived home from Catalonia where we spent the month of September, I can honestly say that it was the worst weather we have experienced in 20 years of visiting the area. we had 10 days of high winds The Transmontana, I renamed it the Tramadol.as it gave me a headache !! within the 10 days we had three days of continuous rain, then great weather for a few days and then a full day of very heavy rain where the site roads were flooded, some unfortunate campers awnings were flooded out, Platja d;Aro is only 20 miles or so from where we were !!!  so you were very lucky

Apology due to memory lapse. We did have one day of rain at Platya d'Aro. A Saturday where it never stopped all day. Our apartment was at the top of the hill close to the telecoms mast, so the rain which fell on us quickly drained away! Must have erased such bad weather from my immediate memory.

Brilliant weather every other day.

John.

Good to hear that the weather is nice and warm in that part of the world. We're on our way to our favourite campsite in Aguilas on the Andalucia/Murcia border at the moment. Should get there the day after tomorrow. Looking forward to it, especially as we have heard that it hasn't stopped raining back home since we left on Monday.

Hi Lutz

If you have time (and a powerful car) try a few nights at Camping Sierra Espuñas.

We have been here for a week, its one of the best campsites we have been on. About 70 gravel pitches, many with water and drainage. Fantastic views and its next to the pretty village El Berro.

Only downside is the access road, about 15k of poor surface and a couple of 20% gradients and tight hairpins. Having said that our CRV pulled the 8m 1800kg caravan without problems.

2 hours ago, WispMan said:

John - when are you off ? 

We are all waiting for the resumption of your blog............

There might not even be a blog this year because my sailing was booked for 16 days time but I had to postpone because of spending a week in hospital six weeks ago with stomach bleeding.      I returned to hospital this morning for an endoscopy but they decided they couldn't do it when I said that I was on anti-coagulants.  It was the hospital that prescribed them!    Apparently a surgeon has to be present under those circumstances - and they only had endoscopists working today.   So now more delay whilst I wait for another appointment.    It's all very depressing.

One extra comment on Spanish gas. The push on connector with hose costs about €14 new and Repsol cylinders are available 2nd hand off forums regularly for about €10  so still a saving to be made for a longish visit. Like Calor in the UK it is illegal to sell but people still do it.

I got my repsol cylinder for free from a garage, only paid €13 for the gas.

Ian

On 09/10/2019 at 20:21, bubble2015 said:

Hi Lutz

If you have time (and a powerful car) try a few nights at Camping Sierra Espuñas.

We have been here for a week, its one of the best campsites we have been on. About 70 gravel pitches, many with water and drainage. Fantastic views and its next to the pretty village El Berro.

Only downside is the access road, about 15k of poor surface and a couple of 20% gradients and tight hairpins. Having said that our CRV pulled the 8m 1800kg caravan without problems.

Looks nice judging by the pictures on their website, but it does seem a bit off the beaten track for us who like to be as close as possible to the beaches and the opportunity to do daily shopping for the widest possible selection of food produce, as we are both keen cooks who try to cook something out of the ordinary every day, even when touring with the caravan. In Aguilas we have two big supermarkets Mercadona and Carrefour, not to mention Lidl and Aldi, and it also has quite a big market on Saturdays, so we are well served in that respect.

Edited by Lutz
  • Like 1
  • +1 1

23 hours ago, Jaydug said:

There might not even be a blog this year because my sailing was booked for 16 days time but I had to postpone because of spending a week in hospital six weeks ago with stomach bleeding.      I returned to hospital this morning for an endoscopy but they decided they couldn't do it when I said that I was on anti-coagulants.  It was the hospital that prescribed them!    Apparently a surgeon has to be present under those circumstances - and they only had endoscopists working today.   So now more delay whilst I wait for another appointment.    It's all very depressing.

Get well soon . I enjoy reading your blogs .

• Thanks 1
  • +1 3

On 09/10/2019 at 20:20, Jaydug said:

There must be something about this year. I booked our ferry for the same date as John as I really wanted to meet the man who inspired us to try Spain for the first time two years ago. Sadly my husband is suffering from vertigo and the doctor doesn't think the ferry is a good idea so we are not going either. I am so disappointed as I was really looking forward to going to Portugal for the first time and meeting John.

No vertigo in the tunnel and from Calais it's 3 -4 days towing a van to southern Spain.

2 hours ago, AndersG said:

No vertigo in the tunnel and from Calais it's 3 -4 days towing a van to southern Spain.

Yes!    I know.    And twenty-five years ago I used to do the journey in a similar time, but for some of us, the process of getting there is a not-to-be-hurried adventure which often turns out to be even more enjoyable than the final destination.    If the weather permits, I like to spread the journey over a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Wishing you well Jaydug and hope you eventually get on your journey to Spain albeit a little late.  I love reading your blog and am sure we’ll all be reading this year’s chapters soon.  

Bergamo

• Thanks 1

Maggie & I hope are well soon, enjoy your time in Spain.

• Thanks 1

Sympathise with you JD ,  I’ve had stomach problems all year , had CT scans for pancreas , spleen , all sorts of tests & finally ended up with an endoscopy a couple of weeks ago  , turns out that it was a problem with my oesophagus , very inflamed with cuts in it from acid reflux , it’s certainly better than the problem I suspected , hope you have a similar positive outcome . 

4 hours ago, stevew1 said:

Sympathise with you JD ,  I’ve had stomach problems all year ,

Thank you Steve.   So I guess you're another one popping the Omeprazole?   I've made a little bit of progress since I lasted posted.  I've got my next endoscopy confirmed for the 22nd of the month.     So I'm still hopeful that I might make my re-scheduled booking.

I hope that JD and Steve have not suffered too much as it can be very unpleasant as I know personally. I used to suffer with stomach ulcers and well recall sitting in a chair with some demon pushing a red hot poker through my esophagus and finally falling asleep sometime after 2 am only to be awoken at 3 am by my neighbour saying that my Lab and German shepherd were barking to come in! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jaydug said:

Thank you Steve.   So I guess you're another one popping the Omeprazole?   I've made a little bit of progress since I lasted posted.  I've got my next endoscopy confirmed for the 22nd of the month.     So I'm still hopeful that I might make my re-scheduled booking.

👍👍👍

80 mg per day Pantoprazole at the moment , cutting down to 40mg next week & then 20 a day after another two weeks , haven’t had any alcohol since July 😟😟.

good luck for the ,22nd .

Edited by stevew1

2 hours ago, Easy T said:

I hope that JD and Steve have not suffered too much as it can be very unpleasant as I know personally. I used to suffer with stomach ulcers and well recall sitting in a chair with some demon pushing a red hot poker through my esophagus and finally falling asleep sometime after 2 am only to be awoken at 3 am by my neighbour saying that my Lab and German shepherd were barking to come in! 

Hope you are ok now ,  I managed to master the art of sleeping sitting up in bed this Summer , if I laid flat the acid would just run into my throat & I would be awake coughing for about 4 hours , delightful !😡😡