Jump to content
tim

France. Temporary Holiday Sites?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

We are thinking of going to France next year for the first time in our caravan, probably May/June.

Most of our holidays here we mainly use the Camping and Caravan club “temporary holiday sites” or the Caravan and Motorhome club rallies, with no facilities and prices generally around £10 a night.

Are there equivalent places like this in France at all?

Or are there the equivalent of CL or CS sites at all?

Someone mentioned the ACSI card which gives you discounts off season at campsites, but we are really looking for something the same as we use in the Uk, not staying in camp sites.

Any help or ideas much appreciated.

 

Tim.

Edited by tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm not aware of a similar arrangement in France - not staying on campsites.  Municipal sites in France are usually good value, so it could be worth searching those.

   http://www.camping-municipal.org                  John.

Edited by Leedslad
  • +1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, tim said:

We are thinking of going to France next year for the first time in our caravan, probably May/June.

Most of our holidays here we mainly use the Camping and Caravan club “temporary holiday sites” or the Caravan and Motorhome club rallies, with no facilities and prices generally around £10 a night.

Are there equivalent places like this in France at all?

Or are there the equivalent of CL or CS sites at all?

Someone mentioned the ACSI card which gives you discounts off season at campsites, but we are really looking for something the same as we use in the Uk, not staying in camp sites.

Any help or ideas much appreciated.

 

Tim.

 

Hi Tim,

 

There are quite a lot of small camping rural sites in France, max 6 pitches, we advertise our 6 pitch site in Normandie http://www.labucaille.com/ with UKCS for our UK based visitors.  What area of France are you thinking of visiting?

 

Kindest Regards

 

Mark

Edited by MDM
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can get hold or buy the FFFC guide there are lots of small CL type sites at the back, a great publication but it's in French, we managed to use it for years  without speaking the lingo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tim, with respect, please don't go abroad looking for campsites to be the same as they are at home - explore and  enjoy the differences. 

  • Like 1
  • +1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aren't Camping a al ferme more basic?

A word about language. A proper commercial site is more likely to have staff who speak English than a small off-grid site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what its worth ....

Just a thought.

Some of the local UK Districts & Associations (?) and regions (?) of the CCC & CMC do often also have organised 'open to all members' Holiday type Rallies abroad. They are usually very poorly publicised, with hard to find details, especially with the CMC. Back part of the CCC mag usually has UK & EU event listings in the very small print !

It may be too early to find advance info now.

As a member of the clubs (assumed) you can attend any area's event.

I also do think that in the ACSI card & site guide you may find some sites offering some discount in late spring. Lots of other resources around to search out sites as well. Enjoy the research & trip !

M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t dismiss ACSI Camping Card  it’s a brilliant system.

 

The most you will pay for a night is €20 and many are only €14, so actually LESS than many CL/CS type sites in the U.K. (and the price includes EHU hot water, toilets showers etc) Out of season many French campsites are very quiet anyway!!

 

As others have have said I have never come across  CL/CS type sites in France either.The French tend to want to be a little more “organised” if that makes sense? 

France is brilliant for camping, once you sample it you will be HIGHLY critical of U.K. camping! 

 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And don't dismiss municipal sites too. They can be as empty as this one was at the very end of June - with full facilities-  and the prices are reasonable and usually stay the same into July and August

IMG_0402.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I note you have avoided giving any details of the above Municipal site! 

 

Cant think why.

 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

I note you have avoided giving any details of the above Municipal site! 

 

Cant think why.

 

Andy

 

No secret Andy.  It's Camping du Motten near Auray in Brittany.   They need more customers or they will close like so many municipal sites .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, moorgate said:

 

No secret Andy.  It's Camping du Motten near Auray in Brittany.   They need more customers or they will close like so many municipal sites .


I stayed near Orleans on a municipal site and talking to the manager she said British visitors have been markedly down this year. 
 

She said brexit or not, Brits would always be welcome. 

Edited by SteveMilner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

 

Many thanks for all replies and links.

It has certainly given us a lot to go on. Even thought the answer to my main question was if France had simular things to our rallies/holiday sites, the answer being no, there does seem to be plenty of places to stay that aren't too expensive, and smaller sites.

The quieter the place the better for us.

i did manage to find some rallies in the Uk clubs, but they tend to use large commercial sites.

Not exactly sure on the area, but guess down the west somewhere, not too far from the coast and probably no more then 4 or five hours drive from Cherbourg.

We will certainly give it a go next year.

The next thing would be to sort out the best option on ferry travel, we live in Southampton so guess it would be Poole or Portsmouth.

 

Thanks again,

 

Tim 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tim

 

I have sent you a pm you might find useful! So be sure to check your in box.

 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brittany ferries go to St Malo from Portsmouth.  There is a 4* site 30 minutes drive from St Malo called Les Hallerais.  It has excellent facilities and from there you can walk to Dinan Port along the riverbank or into Dinan itself.  The site has a pool, English speaking staff and excellent toilets/showers.  There is lots to see in the area and the fabulous beaches of Brittany can be reached in 30 minutes.  It does get booked up in advance so you would need to reserve.  Google to find the site info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Grizelda Wizzle said:

Brittany ferries go to St Malo from Portsmouth.  There is a 4* site 30 minutes drive from St Malo called Les Hallerais.  It has excellent facilities and from there you can walk to Dinan Port along the riverbank or into Dinan itself.  The site has a pool, English speaking staff and excellent toilets/showers.  There is lots to see in the area and the fabulous beaches of Brittany can be reached in 30 minutes.  It does get booked up in advance so you would need to reserve.  Google to find the site info.

That take me back to 1969, it was our first ever venture to France in a Marechal Chalet 4, Frame tent, lovely memories, the site was brilliant then and Dinan a lovely place to wander around

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Tim, we don't use small sites much as one of our requirements is a decent pool.

Re ferries if you are a caravan club member there are some decent deals available if you buy the ferry and book sites or site vouchers. We use BF from Plymouth to Roscoff , car & van, and buying 4 vouchers/ferry, called an ITX fare, this year saved us £400.

I think Portsmouth to Caen is even cheaper but the St Malo route is usually much dearer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...