Sign in to follow this  
Coastline

Folding caravans

We are setting up home in Portugal in a Static home, we would like days out in a caravan possibly a week or so, storage is a problem or the lack of funds to pay for it but we do have room in our garden to store a folding caravan. We have looked at trailer tents and folding caravans one make we like is the Gobur with toilet and shower has anyone had dealings with this type of caravan?

It's a few years old but you may find this introduction video interesting.

See also Gobur's website.

I do not know what the situation is in Portugal regarding caravans and trailers - do they need to be registered? 

On 07/10/2019 at 08:17, Gordon said:

I do not know what the situation is in Portugal regarding caravans and trailers - do they need to be registered? 

Yes they do need to be registered (matriculated) with a separate number plate.

2 hours ago, Coastline said:

Unless the caravan's MIRO is 750 kg or less: in which case it adopts the car's registration and does not require a test. Without checking, I suspect a Gobur comes into this category

We had one for decades, it was an excellent bit of kit. I have very serious doubts its MIRO falls below Flying Grandad's 750 kgs.

What they are not, is flimsy build like the continental ones tended towards.

The Gobur Slimline 600kgs to Gobur Clubman 810kgs the Pennine Pathfinder is 1000kgs. The Pathfinder is also good contender.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Flying Grandad said:

Unless the caravan's MIRO is 750 kg or less: in which case it adopts the car's registration and does not require a test. 

17 hours ago, Coastline said:

The Gobur Slimline 600kgs to Gobur Clubman 810kgs the Pennine Pathfinder is 1000kgs. The Pathfinder is also good contender.

That's useful information. Thank you both.

On 07/10/2019 at 09:35, Coastline said:

Haven't heard that word "matriculated" for many years.  In South Africa, "matriculation" (usually shortened to "matric") is a term commonly used to refer to the final year of high school and the qualification received on graduating from high school (now officially the National Senior Certificate or NSC). Strictly speaking "matriculation" refers to the minimum university entrance requirements (usually called a matric exemption as it provides an exemption from writing entrance exams when applying for University entrance). 

Just a bit of useless knowledge.  LOL!

1 minute ago, Durbanite said:

Haven't heard that word "matriculated" for many years...

Nor me, Durbanite ... ... 50-odd years ago I got my O-levels and A-levels through the NUJMB ... the Northern Universities Joint Matriculation Board.

John

Matriculation is a everyday term in Portugal for non Portuguese to register Cars, caravans, trailers and Farm machinery etc with Portuguese number plates.

We looked for a while at the idea of Gobur, 2nd hand, but found even used ones above our budget. Presumably that's a comment on their quality that they keep their price up so well.

We didn't get as far as actually visiting one, though wondered if they have enough windows to be light inside?

Friends of ours have a tiny  1990's Rapido folder, which they dearly love. It's very basic - nice double bed, option for 2 little bunks at t'other end, tiny kitchen inc. fridge & cooker, but  no loo or washing facilities.  The car barely notices it being there, apparently.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this