DrBob

Al-Ko ATC doesn’t initialise/self test on hitchup

2017 Bailey Unicorn 3 Pamplona, Annual Service only 3 weeks ago when hitching to a 2017 Volvo XC60 towcar, factory fit towbar/electrics, serviced last week. Also tried with 2013 Audi A5 Sportback with factory towbar/electrics.

Everything working fine when I arrived back from a trip and parked on drive last Sunday. Hitched up to take to storage compound this afternoon and no “initialisation” noises, no LED light of any colour. Same with both tow cars. 13 pin plug been kept under the hitch cover, all dry. All road lighting works perfectly,  habitation relay working (awning light goes out when car started).

I’m baffled. Is there a “reset button” or something? Any fuses? Anything I should try before giving up and taking to dealer to fix (still under warranty)

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

DrBob

Is it possible that the van’s 13 pin plug needs realigning with the little green plug tool? It’s worth trying. Also, is there a fuse for the ATC - I don’t know the answer, sorry.

As it is under warranty let your dealer sort it out or you may void the warranty on any part you interfere with.

• Like 1

We have had the same problem,the cause was the 25amp fuse located near the car battery.Replaced the fuse and problem solved.

John.

Good thought, but plug is in perfect alignment when fitted to both tow cars. Fits correctly and all road lights and habitation relay work correctly. Still baffled.  

I believe there may be fuses in the van for both + and - lines for both ignition and non ignition switched lines but I haven’t been able to find them yet.

This was a fuse solely for the ATC and it was obvious because it was a single wire.I’m not saying that yours is the same but you just have to keep hunting for it. 

John.

You are looking for the fuse for pin 9 in the car.

However as both tow cars seem to have the same problem the solution might be a lose wire in the plug.

Either pin 9 or pin 13.

Volvo XC60 (and probably other Volvos) turn off the “permanent live” after a couple of minutes parked. I found that opening the drivers door seems to wake it up. This maybe what your experiencing 

This is a WAG, but...

Check your  plug and associated wiring. 

Pin 13 to earth and pin 9 +ve feed to battery.

The charging sense voltage - effectively the fridge supply - has its own earth connection.

The road lighting has its own earth too.

So the road lights work. The awning light going out as the car engine runs indicates that the fridge circuit is good as the habitation relay operates. 

Neither proves the "permanent" 12 volt feed and associated earth is good - and it's this that operates the ATC.

22 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

Volvo XC60 (and probably other Volvos) turn off the “permanent live” after a couple of minutes parked. I found that opening the drivers door seems to wake it up. This maybe what your experiencing 

I wondered about this but after running the engine to prove the road lights and the ignition switched power/ habitation relay, then switching off and immediately disconnecting/reconnecting the 13 pin plug I would have thought it would still remain“woken up”.  I don’t think the Audi disconnects the permanent live and, as described above, the AlKo doesn’t initialise with that car either.

Still baffled. Unfortunately the supplying dealer is 250 miles away (we moved after purchasing the van) so I need to cajole our local Bailey dealer (6 miles away) to  undertake some warranty investigations/repairs.  Rumour has it that non-supplying dealers are reluctant to do warranty work.

Have you checked the vans fuses where the 13 pin cable enters the van. Usually on the front bulkhead under the seats

It sounds like the permanent 12 volts isn't getting to the ATC unit, as it's the same on both cars it's not likely to be the fuse (unless the fault has blown both) and was working ok before, I would look at the wiring from the van plug back to the ATC control unit.

Dave

• +1 1

Check at the caravans PDU and find the incoming 13 core cable, make sure its getting a supply, if no supply check both wires for the permanent supply inside the 13 pin plug on the caravan.

Thanks for all your advice guys, being still in warranty I’ve given up with this one and managed to book it into Chipping Sodbury caravans to look at it tomorrow.  Will post their diagnosis and hopefully, fix when it’s resolved. They did say they have had one or two new vans delivered straight from the factory with this problem and it turned out to be “a multi plug had come loose on the ECU board” so I’m hoping it turns out to be that simple.

I’ve looked for the incoming supply fuses but haven’t been able to locate them so far, but the van is in storage 21 miles away so haven’t had chance to do a really thorough search. I’ve seen a photo in another posting that shows a block of 4 (2 x12v+  for Perm12v and Fridge and 2 x -ve earths, all 25A IIRC) screwed to the floor in another U3 version, so can only surmise that mine must be on the floor behind the central drawer unit. If so,  unless they can be reached by removing one or both of the ventilation grilles in the back of the bottom compartment then the whole of the drawer unit will have to come out.  Best left to CS caravans!

The 13 pin plug was replaced a year ago at the first annual service by the supplying dealer with a much better quality version,  I’m reasonably confident that will be OK.  (Replaced because the lugs holding the body together on the cheap OEM  Bailey one were not fully engaging and it was always coming apart). All the other electrical connections are working fine.

Have bought a “trailer light test” gadget and it shows both Volvo and Audi permanent 12v+ supplies are live as well as all the other lights.  Unfortunately, on the caravan side, although it tests all the road lighting circuits, it doesn’t do the 12v+ and fridge supplies!

Keeping fingers crossed.

DrBob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good luck with the ATC Dr.Bob.

Im only a bout 6 miles from Chipping Sodbury caravans and have bought vans from them and the occasional problem sorted out.

All the team there are very friendly and helpful so hopefully you should be up and running soon

On 06/10/2019 at 19:16, DrBob said:

Good thought, but plug is in perfect alignment when fitted to both tow cars. Fits correctly and all road lights and habitation relay work correctly. Still baffled.  

I believe there may be fuses in the van for both + and - lines for both ignition and non ignition switched lines but I haven’t been able to find them yet.

Nope. Only the positive line is fused. 

Best of luck with Chipping Sodbury.  I won't be visiting them again anytime soon.

21 minutes ago, Trek said:

Best of luck with Chipping Sodbury.  I won't be visiting them again anytime soon.

That is a bit damming! Should you really be posting such on here!

Always had fantastic service from them!

Edited by PR1
Punctuation!

3 minutes ago, PR1 said:

That is a bit damming! Should you really be posting such on here!

Always had fantastic service from them!

It’s a personal opinion and I am ok with that, 2 posts in support and one unhappy camper so it’s 2-1 in the dealers favour.

Dealer satisfaction aside did you resolve your issue-always good to have faults/reasons logged in the old grey matter just in case we experience issues?

• +1 1