Sign in to follow this  
Tony Blakey

Roof leak

Hi, my second hand caravan (swift challenger 570) had previously had a roof mounted satellite system mounted on the roof, when I purchased it 6 years ago I didn’t realise, I covered the screw holes with non setting compound and silicone sealant to stop water ingress. Now some years later I have a small damp patch in the bedroom due to water getting in.

I wanted to know if using eternabond adhesive tape will create a permanent repair ?, the roof does hold water (puddles) around the area of the leak, will eternabond be ok under water ?

thanks all

Tony

I can't see adhesive tape making a lasting job.   If it were mine I would go to Screwfix and get a tube of Soudal fix-all high tack adhesive and sealant.    Also find a disc of plastic or alloy that will more than cover all the fixing holes.   Clean up the roof then apply the sealer to the disc.   Fix the disc to the roof so that there's a slight thickness between disc and roof.   Clean up the joint and allow it to cure.

21 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

I can't see adhesive tape making a lasting job.   If it were mine I would go to Screwfix and get a tube of Soudal fix-all high tack adhesive and sealant.    Also find a disc of plastic or alloy that will more than cover all the fixing holes.   Clean up the roof then apply the sealer to the disc.   Fix the disc to the roof so that there's a slight thickness between disc and roof.   Clean up the joint and allow it to cure.

Agree a covering piece of material sealed with soudal fix all or sikaflex 221 .

Dave

Try sikaflex 512 it will hold the water on the roof , wait for a dry day to apply, clean and dry the holes first .

Thank you all for your help, I will give Sikaflex a try, I’ve also been told Soudal fix all sealant and adhesive is also good, any comments would be much appreciated. Thanks