Sign in to follow this  
Jimmyboy

caravan roof

Hi any advice on resealing skylights. The smaller  ones cant be reached  from inside so is it safe to stand on roof. I am average weight and any advice much appreciated .

You do not say what caravan you have some are a lot more solid than others,personally what i would do is get a strong board like a scaffold plank and lay it across the roof side to side making sure it overlaps the sides so the weight is on the awning rail.Then work off that.

Hi I had thought about that.Its a 2004 lunar clubman. you only have the depth of awning rail so not much give for it to take weight but will give it thought..thanks.

8 minutes ago, Jimmyboy said:

Hi I had thought about that.Its a 2004 lunar clubman. you only have the depth of awning rail so not much give for it to take weight but will give it thought..thanks.

No! Lunar's of that age used a loose-skinned roof which has virtually no strength at all so don't put any body weight on it.

57 minutes ago, Jimmyboy said:

Hi any advice on resealing skylights. The smaller  ones cant be reached  from inside so is it safe to stand on roof. I am average weight and any advice much appreciated .

First bit of advice:

If by "resealing" you mean applying a bead of mastic around the fitted rooflight, forget it !!

It will not work and is a waste of time and money.

The only way to deal with resealing is to remove the rooflight and clean all the old mastic from both rooflight and caravan, then apply new mastic and refit the rooflight.

• Thanks 1
  • +1 2

Agree.

I have refitted a 400mm x 400mm rooflight from the inside of a caravan. Provided it is the pop-up type, you remove the four screws holding the lift up part and lower it into the caravan at an angle. I had to stand on a step with my head and one arm through the opening and using a chef's palette knife go around the frame to break the seal of the existing mastic, being careful not to damage the roof. If your light is already leaking the frame may be easier to remove than you expect. Clean all the existing mastic away and refit the frame with new mastic. I used W4 mastic sealing tape for convenience.

John.

I have done the same as John on my 2005 Lunar Lexon DS - large front skylight removed and cleaned with white spirits to degrease etc and reseal with Soudal Fix All.

Also recently done the small skylight over rear lunge - same technique and so far both still fine!