Pierre19

Caravan breakdown cover

Hi all,

I'm looking for breakdown cover for the van, our car is just over 1 year old and so we have AA cover up to 3 years, so I'm looking just for the van. Can anyone recommend.

Ta

Pete 

What do you mean is it not covered under your AA cover mine is

It cover recovery if the car breaks down, we recently had a tyre blow out on the van and Land Rover Assist would attend, had to get a local garage out  ......

Posted (edited)

Mayday or Arrival will cover the caravan in the UK .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Have you tried contacting the AA to see if you could add your caravan on 

it would be cheaper than trying get full cover from someone else 

46 minutes ago, Pierre19 said:

It cover recovery if the car breaks down, we recently had a tyre blow out on the van and Land Rover Assist would attend, had to get a local garage out  ......

We encountered this problem when we had the Freelander2 and a problem developed with the van - they wouldn’t come out, but I thought they would for a tyre problem. We now have Ford Assist and I’m still not comfortable that the van is covered, so thinking of taking out Mayday through the CMC. It’s for peace of mind really, even though the car will be covered twice!

Good shout, Mike ....  I'll try them ....

4 minutes ago, Glen and Les said:

We encountered this problem when we had the Freelander2 and a problem developed with the van - they wouldn’t come out, but I thought they would for a tyre problem. We now have Ford Assist and I’m still not comfortable that the van is covered, so thinking of taking out Mayday through the CMC. It’s for peace of mind really, even though the car will be covered twice!

Hi Glen,

We are with the C & C C, and are thinking of taking Arrival .....

Pete

• Like 1

That’s the problem with car breakdown cover, it might not always cover you if it’s the caravan that has a problem whilst towing. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I too have AA cover with my new(ish) vehicle for another 12 months but decided to add the AA UK and Europe car+caravan breakdown and recovery insurance through my caravan insurer (Safeguard). It was an additional £57 if I remember.

Did discover one other insurer (Lifesure) who used to offer stand-alone caravan breakdown insurance (UK) for around £12 but now will only sell with their caravan insurance.

I thought the offerings from the major clubs very expensive by comparison.

Edited by CliveB

The title says breakdown so what is it you wish to obtain cover for?

We have cover for the car through the manufacturer but when previously looking for breakdown cover discovered that there were, at that time, only two that would guaranteed to recover the van if it was not connected to the car, one being Safeguard, who we went with, and Red Pennant-this was for Europe cover.

If you are happy that the van is covered when with the car that really leaves tyre issues, as you had, as the most likely problem.

We carry a spare and a jack so happy that we can deal if need be, and indeed have done so on a couple of occasions.

If your car cover and caravan cover are separate policies I would think it might be complicated if you needed a call out. You would be trying to use 2 separate companies to get you sorted. Imagine if the car broke down and needed taking to a garage, the car cover would not include the caravan and then you would need to try to get the caravan cover to take it somewhere, but if it had not broken down then maybe you might not get any help. Even if you could get the 2 companies to help, you usually need to accompany the vehicle and presumably you would need to do the same for the caravan so 2 people are needed.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Allan Guest said:

The title says breakdown so what is it you wish to obtain cover for?

We have cover for the car through the manufacturer but when previously looking for breakdown cover discovered that there were, at that time, only two that would guaranteed to recover the van if it was not connected to the car, one being Safeguard, who we went with, and Red Pennant-this was for Europe cover.

If you are happy that the van is covered when with the car that really leaves tyre issues, as you had, as the most likely problem.

We carry a spare and a jack so happy that we can deal if need be, and indeed have done so on a couple of occasions.

There’s also the question of the caravan being damaged in some way whilst in tow, such as hitting an object, tyre puncture causing tyre to shred and damage wheel arch, or perhaps a lighting failure where it’s not safe to continue towing. Your ‘car only’ recovery policy might not cover the caravan being recovered, some will only recover the caravan if it’s the car that’s broken down.

For the sake of a few £££ i always make sure our caravan is covered regardless of which of our two tow cars are pulling it

Edited by LeadFarmer

41 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

There’s also the question of the caravan being damaged in some way whilst in tow, such as hitting an object, tyre puncture causing tyre to shred and damage wheel arch, or perhaps a lighting failure where it’s not safe to continue towing. Your ‘car only’ recovery policy might not cover the caravan being recovered, some will only recover the caravan if it’s the car that’s broken down.

For the sake of a few £££ i always make sure our caravan is covered regardless of which of our two tow cars are pulling it

Hi, Nothing to do with the cost but a realisation that its just not as simple as having cover for the caravan in case of problems.

As said when I looked into it , and wanted written confirmation that the car AND van were covered, regardless of their respective locations,  the wide range of providers shrank to just the two.

My cars cover extends to any vehicle being towed, so the issues you mention are covered, but as with many of the policies I looked at, it is centred on the car and may not give cover if the issue was with the caravan only.

If that is what you wish to cover then my experience was that you needed to contact the provider and get them to confirm that what you want is covered.

4 hours ago, Pierre19 said:

Hi all,

I'm looking for breakdown cover for the van, our car is just over 1 year old and so we have AA cover up to 3 years, so I'm looking just for the van. Can anyone recommend.

Ta

Pete 

I may be being a bit thick but have you got insurance on the 'van for accident , fire & theft ? If so why don't you add the breakdown to the insurance.

3 hours ago, joanie said:

I may be being a bit thick but have you got insurance on the 'van for accident , fire & theft ? If so why don't you add the breakdown to the insurance.

We have our caravan insured for the above through the CMC - there is no option for breakdown cover on that policy.

So car has a breakdown on a long journey whilst towing the van, and requires recovery (as obviously so does the caravan).  With two different policies you're asking for trouble...  How do the recovery agents work together to retrieve the whole outfit?  I wouldn't fancy the car being picked up and the van still left at the side of the road... who waits with it? etc,etc,etc... I have recovery still with my car under warranty but for simplicity have Mayday so that if there is a problem when towing it's covered as one thing... Worth the pound a week it costs me...

1 hour ago, Guzzilazz said:

I have recovery still with my car under warranty but for simplicity have Mayday so that if there is a problem when towing it's covered as one thing

When I had cover with a new car purchase I did the same. Covers me or OH in either of our cars or when passenger in somebody else's and also caravan.

20 hours ago, joanie said:

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/insurance/uk-breakdown-and-recovery/

insurance, breakdown & recovery with CMC

That’s a separate breakdown policy Joanie, not something you can add to your standard caravan insurance policy. We are thinking of taking it out though, purely for peace of mind.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Id never take out a breakdown policy that comes with an insurance policy, not for caravanning anyway. 

1 hour ago, LeadFarmer said:

Id never take out a breakdown policy that comes with an insurance policy, not for caravanning anyway. 

Why not? My AA car and caravan breakdown and recovery (through insurance company) is comparable to those on offer directly from the AA (or through the club's) and less than half the cost.

The only significant difference is that they do restrict the weight, length, and width to "standard" caravans i.e. those that do not require a 3.5t towing vehicle e.g. body length (not including drawbar)  less than 7m

44 minutes ago, CliveB said:

Why not? My AA car and caravan breakdown and recovery (through insurance company) is comparable to those on offer directly from the AA (or through the club's) and less than half the cost.

The only significant difference is that they do restrict the weight, length, and width to "standard" caravans i.e. those that do not require a 3.5t towing vehicle e.g. body length (not including drawbar)  less than 7m

Because I’m sure most of these policies wouldn’t cover you if it was your caravan that needed recovering, and not your car. 

They’d probably only recover your caravan if you had a problem with your car, and just happened to be towing. 

This issue keeps cropping up with people saying that they are covered on their car breakdown, but this is often not the case when problems occur with caravan alone. I have had experience of this when my hitch damper on the van failed in the wilds of Scotland. My then breakdown provider would not contemplate recovering the caravan as there was nothing wrong with car. I had to drive 200 miles with the fault, with the van slamming into the back of car, to get to repairer. I had to stop a number of times to retighten towbar bolts on car as they kept loosening with constant tugging.

After that I use this scenario to test whether any breakdown cover would have helped. Only one that gave an unequivocal Yes was Mayday.

As this also provides other benefits such as recovery from waterlogged pitch, relief driver of required (I am only driver so gives peace of mind if I have accident), recovery driver to return unit to home if required, and more, it always gets my vote.

You have to ask if your breakdown covers all these scenarios, and get it in writing. It's in writing in the Mayday policy wording.

I know, if I'm in the situation of needing assistance, I don't want to be having semantic discussions on phone, I just want them to sort it.

You pays your money.........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CliveB said:

Your profile lists a Bailey Pegasus Rimini GT70. I thought that they were over 7m shipping length?

2 hours ago, Easy T said:

Your profile lists a Bailey Pegasus Rimini GT70. I thought that they were over 7m shipping length?

Yes, it's around 7.2m. But as I pointed out the restriction is in body length not shipping length (body+drawbar).

3 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Because I’m sure most of these policies wouldn’t cover you if it was yourk caravan that needed recovering, and not your car. 

They’d probably only recover your caravan if you had a problem with your car, and just happened to be towing. 

The fact that it covers the car AND the caravan was the reason I took out the insurance. It covers a breakdown of the caravan (e.g. a puncture or electrical fault) in isolation of the towing vehicle.

So both vehicle and caravan effectively insured separately for UK and European breakdown and recovery.