Just had a letter from my caravan storage site they are  putting up the price again !! Supposed to be to bring the rental in line with market forces. In the last 12 months it’s gone from £500 to £605 and now they say it will go up 10% per annum. Is this right,  it seems a big increase to me. 
The site is in the manchester,  its a fenced area and security on after Buisness hours. 

I know I can leave but was thinking what everyone else thought, is this a fair price and also I’m  not happy about the annual increase  as well. 

I think that it's  dear, but do you have another place to go to , as if the owner hasn't got any competition that he  / she can charge what ever folk are willing to pay. 

Cheap compared to the Club site at Abbey Wood (London) - I left about 8 years ago when it reached £850.00 per annum!

Ours goes up by 10% every year. It is however a good secure place and there are few alternatives so I just pay up.

If there’s a glut of secure storage, it’s not going to work, everyone will go elsewhere. My guess is there’s a shortage of storage and the site owner knows he can pretty much charge what he wants. 

1 hour ago, Mike89000 said:

Just had a letter from my caravan storage site they are  putting up the price again !! Supposed to be to bring the rental in line with market forces. In the last 12 months it’s gone from £500 to £605 and now they say it will go up 10% per annum. Is this right,  it seems a big increase to me. 
The site is in the manchester,  its a fenced area and security on after Buisness hours. 

I know I can leave but was thinking what everyone else thought, is this a fair price and also I’m  not happy about the annual increase  as well. 

when you ask "is it right" what are you asking?

10% each year, wow see how that mounts up, not including the pennies

605 becomes 660  year 2020

660 becomes 726 year 2021

726 becomes 798 year 2022

I cant see it going up 10% each year, think what the storage costs will be in a few years time. It may go up 10% for a few years then level out. I hope so for your sake.

Alas there are people willing to pay that price and so for everyone else they either pay or find an alternative.

best of luck

macafee2

I have my caravan in storage in the East Riding of Yorkshire. At a Gold CASSOA site I currently pay £275 and have the option to pay about the same at another Gold CASSOA site 10 miles away.

All price variations in different areas have simply got to be down to market forces.

John.

Many storage sites have a waiting list, why should they care about losing a few existing customers following a price rise?

Each year at our CaSSOA gold site, the price rises and the standard falls.

No option though, nowhere else close by and a growing waiting list to get on.

In my area at least two storage sites have closed, so I'm told. The sites were sold for redevelopment. The site I'm on is enlarging it's storage capacity with more hardstanding.  At present they charge £600 per year.

John

Up to 2016 we used Wingates Leisure in Bolton to store our caravan, then it was £650 a year for a large caravan. The site was gold CASSOA with good security and we never had a problem in 16 years. When we moved house we went to The Elms at Torksey, the annual fee goes up a bit each year and last time was £420, £6 more than last year, security is good but they are not CASSOA registered. As a result our insurance has gone up but not by as much as the reduced storage cost compared to the CASSOA site.

2 hours ago, johntog said:

In my area at least two storage sites have closed, so I'm told. The sites were sold for redevelopment. The site I'm on is enlarging it's storage capacity with more hardstanding.  At present they charge £600 per year.

John

Unfortunately Johntog we were at one of the storages sites that are about to close. We were lucky we found another fairly quickly. There is definitely more people wanting spaces in our south east corner than there are available spaces. Found that the charges were anything from £400 to £1000 and they were all full. We are paying just under £500 for a well hidden storage site with the owners living on site and am quite happy..

5 hours ago, John19 said:

currently pay £275 and have the option to pay about the same at another Gold CASSOA site 10 miles away.

John.

£275, I wish!!..

Mine goes up £10 every year. the farmer do not want the increase but the bean counter do.

Posted (edited)

I pay £350.  Been so for a few years, was £300 before that the Farmer was very apologetic but blamed the VAT which he must have been avoiding prior to this.  It is secure with 8 foot fences, only entry is between buildings with CCTV.  However, a couple of months ago he had two stolen.  They came all the way from the Kent area and had sussed it out on Google Earth.  It meant going over a couple of rough fields and a rickety bridge over a ditch.  No one would have expected that.  The police got to them quickly.  

Farmer has secured the weakness and is installing more CCTV on a high mast but he first has to install power.

I wonder if the expense might up the rent.

About 20 years ago for about 4 years, I stored in a local RAF Nissan hut.  My own key, but better than that an armed guard on the gat plus armed patrols. All that for £25 per year.

John

Edited by JCloughie

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:35, TedNewman said:

Cheap compared to the Club site at Abbey Wood (London) - I left about 8 years ago when it reached £850.00 per annum!

that's my local storage facility.

its £970 a year now and has a 2year waiting list.

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 17:14, Jacko1 said:

Unfortunately Johntog we were at one of the storages sites that are about to close. We were lucky we found another fairly quickly. There is definitely more people wanting spaces in our south east corner than there are available spaces. Found that the charges were anything from £400 to £1000 and they were all full. We are paying just under £500 for a well hidden storage site with the owners living on site and am quite happy..

£275, I wish!!..

storage in Kent is a nightmare. before we bought our caravan we looked at storage facilities local to us and they were all full and looking at £750+.

luckily the people I bought my van from have their own compound and I have just renewed for £300 although the let me keep the van on their site so we can use it whenever we want without having to tow it backwards and forwards.

Hi dando, I've had a little look at your past post's and kingswood storage you state have started at £500 then £400 and now £300 , we many year ago stored owe caravan with them very narrow lane to site had a row with a boy racer who wanted me to reverse 400 metres just because he didn't want too , also hedges at rear of stored caravan where never cut and this caused damp to owe rear window ,  security was only a scaffold pole dragged across two posts with an alarm with I set off a few times and nobody came to investigate so wasn't to happy that's why we moved to Staplehurst storage , hope things have improved but it was probably 20 years ago , pete

On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 20:20, dustypete said:

Hi dando, I've had a little look at your past post's and kingswood storage you state have started at £500 then £400 and now £300 , we many year ago stored owe caravan with them very narrow lane to site had a row with a boy racer who wanted me to reverse 400 metres just because he didn't want too , also hedges at rear of stored caravan where never cut and this caused damp to owe rear window ,  security was only a scaffold pole dragged across two posts with an alarm with I set off a few times and nobody came to investigate so wasn't to happy that's why we moved to Staplehurst storage , hope things have improved but it was probably 20 years ago , pete

I don't keep my van there - I leave it on their site round the corner so we can use it whenever we want but the security is a lot better than when you were there.

Dando , just had another quick look at your post' s and your storage fee quotes seemed to have disappeared , Pete