CPDavis

Unicorn 3 awning rail insert.

Was wondering if anyone can recommend any product that can clean the black staining on the white rubber seal that is inserted through the complete length of the awning rail on both sides of the van?

Also the flimsy white gasket that inserts around panels on both front and rear of van could do with a good clean. Thanks.

If you mean the aftermarket drip strip I have used ....funnily enough black streak cleaner.

The rail insert, Herzim strip, from my experience does degrade over a period of time so what you might be seeing is this rather a staining which can be removed.

On my last caravan which had maroon Herzim, in places where it was south facing, it went from maroon to almost grey and the surface became rough to the touch.

I replaced mine twice within 10 years.

White Herzim might be different.

Posted (edited)

No, its the white seal that is part of the rail itself. The staining is black blobs that seem impossible to clean.

(reply to charlieboy)

Edited by CPDavis

I use a tooth brush and some bleach but once the stains have set it they are nigh on impossible to remove.

I did try replacing the panel gaskets on my U3 but it wasn't easy to get it to fit and TBH they dont look much better after a year or so on - I don't know what its made of but it seems to absorb or grow it's own stains. I now just accept it's there and ignore it

Does it look like this on Fiamma Drip Stop which I put over some of the locker doors on my previous caravan?

It is a similar material to Herzim and after a few years developed this black staining which I could not get rid off no mater what I tried.

20191009_080739.thumb.png.396f02e87df99457029b79ce0ace4e58.png

Posted (edited)

no, it's rubber insert fitted between the aluminium extrusion (ALUtech) and the body panel. The insert  is white and seems to stain with a black stain (probably internal mould). The same with the gaskets between some of the front & rear body panels - they seem to be made of a hard rubber compound which has a lip onto the edge of the panel with a web to fill the gap.

Again it seems to absorb the stains. It's not easy to replace (I've still got some) even with warming it with hot water or a hairdryer.

Ideally it needs some better edging strip to fill the panel gaps on the front and rear or the van although there's nowt you can do with the stuff around the ALUtech extrusions which hold the van together.

You need to look at a U3 ALUtech to see how its made rather than guessing

Edited by matelodave