BOAC

It pays to ask.

I telephoned the owner of a campsite in Wales to ask the price per night for a week long stay for next July. She heard my sharp intake of breath when she quoted £24 per night. I then pointed out that we would not be using the shower block or loo's so would she consider a lower price since there are only two of us. When asked what price I had in mind I told her that £15 plus electric would be nice. She accepted it. 

Has anyone else ever asked for a reduction or am I the exception?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BOAC said:

I telephoned the owner of a campsite in Wales to ask the price per night for a week long stay for next July. She heard my sharp intake of breath when she quoted £24 per night. I then pointed out that we would not be using the shower block or loo's so would she consider a lower price since there are only two of us. When asked what price I had in mind I told her that £15 plus electric would be nice. She accepted it. 

I tried it once in a shop not related to caravans and got a reduction but I felt embarrassed afterwards.  Apparently, most businesses will let you haggle if they are privately run.   Obviously, the check-out person at Tesco does not have that discretion.  You see it all the time on TV programs like Antiques Roadshow.  I just wish  sellers would ask a fair price and buyers would accept it.  If we all start haggling, sellers will have to post higher 'ticket' prices.

Haggling is normal in many cultures but I don't like it here.

3 minutes ago, kelper said:

I just wish  sellers would ask a fair price and buyers would accept it.

I did not consider that owner was asking a fair price because not fifteen miles away there is another site with the same facilities for £15 per night plus EHU. Taking that into consideration was she asking a fair price I wonder?

Same scenario  sort of. A friend was quoted £85 for a replacement glow plug and when he went to collect his car the bill presented was for £135. When he queried this the reply was, "Oh. Okay. £85 is fine". No quibble at all.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, BOAC said:

That's what I pay for my 'local to me site'  £15 inc electric...  if I want to leave until the caravan until the  following week it £3 a night ON SITE storage, no need to take the awning down just lift the ground sheet.

Edited by Organman

On 04/10/2019 at 10:28, BOAC said:

I did not consider that owner was asking a fair price because not fifteen miles away there is another site with the same facilities for £15 per night plus EHU. Taking that into consideration was she asking a fair price I wonder?

Same scenario  sort of. A friend was quoted £85 for a replacement glow plug and when he went to collect his car the bill presented was for £135. When he queried this the reply was, "Oh. Okay. £85 is fine". No quibble at all.

May I ask, if they hadn't accepted the offer then would you have gone down the road instead? 

• +1 1

8 hours ago, scotsstag said:

May I ask, if they hadn't accepted the offer then would you have gone down the road instead? 

Yes, we would have done just that

• +1 1

Don't be too shocked if close to the time you lose the pitch.

Someone will probably try to book and be happy to pay the full price, if all other pitches are booked you will probably be getting a phone call letting you know they now cant fit you in.  

I wouldn’t dream of haggling for a caravan pitch. I’m either happy to pay the price, or not, in which case we go elsewhere. 

Same applies to most things. I’ll pay whatever I think is a fair price for anything, if I don’t think it’s reasonable, I shop around, or go without. 

If I’m spending thousands on a big ticket item, such as a car/caravan, or a nice watch, then I’ll try and negotiate a better deal, but for lower price items, it wouldn’t enter my head. 

• Like 2
  • +1 1

Haggling is a very complex part of our British culture, most of the time, we just don't do it!

It is perfectly acceptable when buying antiques or houses, but most people feel uneasy about offering a lower price in most other circumstances, particularly face to face.

We will often shop around, and let the seller know we are intending to shop around, or ask for a discount but will seldom blatantly  offer less than the asking price.

Occasionally we will ask for a price match, but seldom will the prospective buyer name the price.

Other cultures do it differently, in some haggling is normal, in others there seems to be a custom, particularly for high price items of writing down bids and prices rather than speaking them aloud (perhaps to avoid being seen to haggle!).

It is OK for a seller to offer a reduction if the buyer seems reluctant, but not the other way round.

As to whether we should, that is a different question altogether!

Probably the same here Ian. One exception was about 15 years ago when I was looking to spend 4 or 5 nights in Southport chilling out and doing some shopping. Could have got B&B for around £30 at the time but I saw advert for some nice apartments complete with repro furniture. I phoned the owner who had one 2 bedroom apartment which was coming free on the day I wanted to arrive. Can't remember price but probably about £75. I said that it was more than I wanted to pay but if he preferred a bird in the hand I would happily pay £40. He accepted and was a great guy. Fresh batches in bread bin, some nice ham and some lancashire cheese, tea coffee and fresh milk. 

Did return a couple of years later and took a one bedroom apartment with OH and so it brought more trade 

• Like 2

We did the same in Wales for a fully serviced pitch in August.  We wanted to book for two weeks, but the price was horrendous.  About 5 minutes after putting down the phone got a much lower price almost half price.

On arrival no one to greet us as the owners had gone away on holiday and just left a note on the door.  A couple of days later a converted Ford Transit van arrived on site with 18 dogs in it.  They were all pugs.  We were very concerned.  In any event the owners took them in batches off site every day and we never heard a peep from any of them.  Apparently they were all show dogs.

However as it rained every day for the first week by day 10 we decided to cut our losses and move to a site in the Cotswolds about 30 miles from our home.  Lovely sunny hot weather for the remainder of our holiday.  :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dannyp said:

Don't be too shocked if close to the time you lose the pitch.

Someone will probably try to book and be happy to pay the full price, if all other pitches are booked you will probably be getting a phone call letting you know they now cant fit you in.  

Well, if that does happen its no problem really but I doubt it as I booked two pitches, one for me and the other for my Petals brother and his wife who need a shower block which, of course, we do not.

6 hours ago, Easy T said:

Probably the same here Ian. One exception was about 15 years ago when I was looking to spend 4 or 5 nights in Southport chilling out and doing some shopping. Could have got B&B for around £30 at the time but I saw advert for some nice apartments complete with repro furniture. I phoned the owner who had one 2 bedroom apartment which was coming free on the day I wanted to arrive. Can't remember price but probably about £75. I said that it was more than I wanted to pay but if he preferred a bird in the hand I would happily pay £40. He accepted and was a great guy. Fresh batches in bread bin, some nice ham and some lancashire cheese, tea coffee and fresh milk. 

Did return a couple of years later and took a one bedroom apartment with OH and so it brought more trade 

Have you been since? Southport has sadly gone downhill rapidly. 

I'm a great believer in "striking a deal" when buying goods and services.  You would be surprised at how often  I get a discount.  The secret is, if the other party won't do a deal .... Walk away. 

• Like 1

I have an I.T. business in my local town, I always try to be competitive but rarely build to a price, my aim is always quality. A customer came in the shop for a specific PC he wanted building and I quoted him a price for his specification - £535. A couple of days later he came in the shop and asked me to build it for £515 because another shop in town had quoted that price and he really wanted to buy it from us. I refused to move on price and asked why did he want to buy from us, he said because I've heard good things about you and you've always been helpful when I've come in to the store. In my view that is worth £20, I didn't reduce my price and he went to the other shop. The other shop bought it's components from our trade side so we still got part of the sale. 10 days later the same guy was back saying he'd ordered the PC and paid for it in the other shop and they'd gone bankrupt, he'd lost everything.  
Later I called in one of the chip shops in town who should the owner be, you guessed it, the guy that wanted to buy a PC. When he handed me my haddock and chips I asked for discount, the expression on his face was priceless. I did ask him why is it different me offering him 5% less, that's what he tried to do to me.

I quote my best price first time around, I dont move either, when I've sold cars if someone tries to lower my price i will offer a very slight reduction but then when they counter offer my price starts to rise again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, bessacarr425 said:

I'm a great believer in "striking a deal" when buying goods and services.  You would be surprised at how often  I get a discount.  The secret is, if the other party won't do a deal .... Walk away. 

Not a good idea if the sticker price was already the best deal available!

(And by "best deal" I do not necessarily mean lowest  price).

On 10/10/2019 at 16:38, Dave Capiro owner said:

Have you been since? Southport has sadly gone downhill rapidly. 

Not since last December ;)

usually have 3 tours between early/mid April and the end of September when we stay on sites for 5 nights and move on. Usually 120 nights and around 22 or more sites spread over the three trips. 

In December we don't tour but use the CMC site at Southport for a 2 week stay from from mid December and return just before new year. we have done for the last 10 years and really just to break up winter, see some friends and do some walking on a daily basis. I agree that the town itself has gone down hill but I have noticed some recent improvement. One thing that I do notice however is that there was a far higher prevalence of the Lancashire dialect 15 years ago whereas more frequently Merseyside accents have become the norm.

I actually do ask for something, whether it's money off or free delivery or fitting or whatever, but I have never even thought of asking on for a money off a pitch, good idea though. 

I bought  a rather expensive sound bar for our TV.

"Is that the best price you can do ? " I asked.

£125 off straight away.

Ian

Wow!

My TV at home cost less than that and the new sound bar from PC World (excellent quality) was only £25.

• Haha 1

On 12/10/2019 at 09:42, Easy T said:

. One thing that I do notice however is that there was a far higher prevalence of the Lancashire dialect 15 years ago whereas more frequently Merseyside accents have become the norm.

And what’s that supposed to mean?

35 minutes ago, MalH said:

And what’s that supposed to mean?

Exactly what it says. No more and no less.

I note it purely because I like to hear the lancashire accent and I am sad at its demise in the area. Is it supposed to mean anything else other than there is an apparent change in the populus?

If you think that I am getting at Merseyside folk you are wrong as I have many friends from that area

Edited by Easy T
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Easy T said:

Exactly what it says. No more and no less.

I note it purely because I like to hear the lancashire accent and I am sad at its demise in the area. Is it supposed to mean anything else other than there is an apparent change in the populus?

If you think that I am getting at Merseyside folk you are wrong as I have many friends from that area

Southport has been part of Merseyside since 1974. It has a  train service to and from Liverpool every 15 minutes but is not as well connected with the rest of the County Paletine of Lancashire. People from Liverpool have long visited in great numbers. It's nothing new, hence my original question.

• Confused 1

I proudly carry my Defence Discount Card, similar to a Blue Light Card available to members of the emergency services. The discounts provided by many well-known companies and some not so well known are often generous. Anyway, to my point. ..... I recently agreed on a new pair of specs with my local optician, a small to medium sized regional company. When I asked if they accepted my Defence Discount in order to obtain a discount, I was politely advised that they didn't.  My specs BTW were going to cost £600. Yes.... they are bi-focal, transitional, non-scratch coated lenses so expensive. I then advised the member of staff that I wouldn't  finalise my purchase until I had been to Vision Express in an adjacent town. She asked my why?  I simply stated that Vision Express along with some other UK wide opticians provide a 10% discount on production of my Defence Discount Card.  My optician saved me a journey by knocking £60 off the price. It was worth asking.

Always worth asking! Only place that I can never get a discount is John Lewis!