Sign in to follow this  
Fenester

Changing a wheel

1 minute ago, Fenester said:

The tyres will go in the car and be taken down to Micheldever without the caravan. Do you think the obvious perishing of the valves makes the tyres suspect?

Suspect? Yes but not necessarily unusable if there is no obvious sign of cracking or other damage. Without seeing them, my advice would be to ask the experts when you visit the tyre outlet. 

Posted (edited)
On 06/10/2019 at 16:09, Gordon said:

Suspect? Yes but not necessarily unusable if there is no obvious sign of cracking or other damage. Without seeing them, my advice would be to ask the experts when you visit the tyre outlet. 

Thanks for your help......I am waiting for the rain to stop before removing the wheel; guess it will be later in the week now dreary day here today.

Edited by Fenester

Update: 

The cost of fitting two new valves to tyres that will have to be changed anyway within 24 months added up to £28. Two new tyres fitted were £126 all in.

The labour of fitting a value is around 30% of the cost of fitting these relatively cost effective simple caravan tyres. I suspect with more expensive car tyres, low profiles and wider ones,  the proportion would be less. 

The tyres were OK  according to Micheldever Tyres but: new tyres were purchased as this was, in my mind,the best solution both for peace of mind and financially. I kept one tyre to replace the spare which I will go back and  get done another day.

They did remark that tyres have a shelf life of 5 years which fits in with recommendations  (CMC etc.) elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Fenester said:

Update: 

The cost of fitting two new valves to tyres that will have to be changed anyway within 24 months added up to £28. Two new tyres fitted were £126 all in.

I have only once had the valve stem on a vehicle.  Happened when I was checking tyre pressure and it went with a band and a loud whoosh.  Poor dogs nearly pooped themselves.  Cost was £90 as it had the TPMS sensor as part of the stem.

Thanks for the update Fenester :)