BradleyWiggins

Thinking of buying Honda 10i Generator

Just sold my Kipor IG2600 as it was big and heavy and had been hardly used since we got a 120 watt solar panel on the roof of the caravan. We have used a cheap inverter with the hairdryer and only in the mornings when there is plenty of time for the sun to charge the battery.

Last October we spent a week away and the solar panel just about kept the battery in good condition for a week in pretty bright weather for the time of year. Fearing worse weather this year I am thinking of the Honda 10i as a way to top up the leisure battery. Being compact and light the 10i fits the bill as it also very quiet in comparison to it's rivals.

I figure it will produce more than enough power to keep the battery topped up. 

Does anyone who owns one have anything to add? All opinions welcome and just to add we camp in fairly remote locations with just a few other vanners (who also run gennys) so limited day time use is not going to upset anyone.

I think you've made an exceptional choice.

• Like 1
  • +1 1

Posted (edited)

I can't think of a better generator - we used Honda generators when I was at work and they were totally reliable

Edited by matelodave

Only used one once, I was 5m away and at idle, I couldn’t tell if it was running. 

• Like 1

If you can, have a listen at one on full load and then maybe consider the EU20i. The Honda gennys are very quiet on partial load but as you  reach maximum load the noise level increases dramatically. Maybe you wont get to that load level ? If youre wanting to run a microwave, definitely the 20i, the 10i is unlikely to handle it.

• +1 1

Posted (edited)

Thumbs up for the Honda if money's no object. I have three generators, a Hyundai 2600w, Briggs & Stratton 1700w (rated quieter than EU10 or 20 Honda) and an old Clarke 600w suitcase generator that is the quietest, lightest and smallest of the three.

I didn't buy the Clarke having inherited it from my late father-in-law, and would never have considered it capable,  but it runs the Sharp 800w microwave just fine which is really peculiar because I'd expect the startup load to be double. It's not a pure sine generator like the other two but is easily the most silent when under load. I don't know the price of them new but they are an absolute bargain (Machine Mart's own brand).

I used a phone app to measure which might not be calibrated but gave an excellent comparison of the three. I also took videos which I might edit together and post if anyone is seriously interested).

The first screenshot is taken with the microphone a few inches away from the exhaust and the second from 5 metres away. Both are taken while under max load.

I tried a Belle cement mixer with the Clarke and it stalled it during startup unless I helped out by spinning the drum.

Clarke 600w generator under load 0m.jpg

Clarke 600w under 800w load 5m.jpg

Edited by limecc

Thanks for the replies. The microwave is the one sacrifice in all this but we know we can live with that.

Next question is to buy new or second hand?

would it not be better to get an extra freestanding solar panel or two?

I really don't see the point of these little generators. The whole point of a generator is that you can run stuff on high draw, if your using it to the charge the batteries then as the light gets worse add more solar panels to catch more.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, anthdci said:

I really don't see the point of these little generators. The whole point of a generator is that you can run stuff on high draw, if your using it to the charge the batteries then as the light gets worse add more solar panels to catch more.

When you need power then a genny will provide it instantly and with a lot less fiddling compared to solar panels in which electrical supply cannot be guaranteed.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BradleyWiggins said:

Honda 10i

Does anyone who owns one have anything to add? All opinions welcome and just to add we camp in fairly remote locations with just a few other vanners (who also run gennys) so limited day time use is not going to upset anyone.

In my opinion respectful use of a small portable  generator should not be an issue. Unfortunately some members of society take exception to them even when used considerately but the 10i from Honda is one of the quietest portable generators available, and in my opinion is an excellent choice for occasional use. I use mine regularly to run various portable power tools such as a hedge trimmer.  It has always started first pull and has given reliable service now for many years.

I carried out some noise tests with ours a couple of years ago and below are the results.

31dB Sitting in front of the PC in a quiet study (1 metre).

43dB Same PC fan motor (4 inches).

45dB My back garden, quiet bird song, light breeze, no other obvious background noises.

47dB My suitcase generator with the weather cover placed over it, off load (approx 20 feet away).

48dB Pedestrians talking quietly as they pass the house (approx 20 feet away).

52dB My suitcase generator, stood on the lawn, no cover, off load (approx 20 feet away).

56dB Passing car (approx 30 feet away).

57dB My suitcase generator with the weather cover placed over it, 1KW load (approx 20 feet away).

67dB Light aircraft (Piper Cherokee overhead at approx 1500 feet).

67dB Council bin wagon engine (approx 30 feet away).

79dB Passing motorbike (approx 30 feet away).

85dB Council bin wagon loading bins (approx 30 feet away).

96dB Passing 'Boy Racer' with car windows open and boom box at full chat! (approx 30 feet away).

5 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

If you're wanting to run a microwave, definitely the 20i, the 10i is unlikely to handle it.

The 20i would definitely work but I can confirm from personal experience that the 10i will also run a low wattage microwave as we used ours to power ours in the awning over several years, before passing the microwave on to my MiL when we sold the caravan.

16 minutes ago, BOAC said:

When you need power then a genny will provide it instantly and with a lot less fiddling compared to solar panels in which electrical supply cannot be guaranteed.

Agreed. Pull the start chord, and plug in appliance / caravan (and it works without sunshine).

BUT there are exhaust emissions and discontented neighbours to contend with. 

• Like 1
  • +1 1

29 minutes ago, Gordon said:

BUT there are exhaust emissions and discontented neighbours to contend with. 

The exhaust emissions, pollution and noise from discontented neighbours is far worse than a quiet genny IMO.

A quick look suggests a generator will cost about £700, would a spare battery be another option ?

6 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

A quick look suggests a generator will cost about £700, would a spare battery be another option ?

How would you charge it without EHU? Just asking !!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, anthdci said:

I have 400w of solar on the roof and it wouldn't be enough in winter. For high power devices I don't use the 2kw inverter for more than a couple of minutes at a time to avoid shortening battery life due to plate heating and using up too much battery charge (240ah) which couldn't be replaced each day. A quiet generator running for a few minutes when using the vacuum cleaner, hairdryer and microwave is perfect way to be self-sustainable power wise for the duration of the holiday.

I just purchased (for £120) an all-in-one 8kw (red diesel or paraffin) Webasto suitcase type air heater for the awning, will use it elsewhere when not on holiday. I've yet to take delivery and can't comment on it yet.

Edited by limecc

3 hours ago, BOAC said:

How would you charge it without EHU? Just asking !!

When one battery is flat, fit the spare fully charged battery to get you to the end of the holiday. If this is enough to last will depend on how long you are away.

3 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

When one battery is flat, fit the spare fully charged battery to get you to the end of the holiday. If this is enough to last will depend on how long you are away.

Not a very relaxing holiday worrying about battery usage and having to shut off the tv early. Nice to balance the books each day, a generator allows flexibility.

• +1 1

Hopefully it won't get agreat deal of use but it will be good to have in reserve if necessary. Next trip is last week of October and the EU10i is arriving soon, so will report back in November!

A good short hairdo obviates the need for a dryer.  Point out how your partner would look uber-sexy with a nice bob.  Or is it you that needs a dryer?

• Haha 2

I don't need a hair dryer other than to dry the hair growing out of my ears!

• Haha 1
  • +1 1

We used to use the Honda 2.0i at work for the local DNO. If a consumer's power went off and we couldn't restore within the 3 hours demanded by the Electricity Regulator we would fit one of these if possible to get lights, fridge tv etc working and to avoid the financial penalty. They were 100% reliable, sometimes left to run for a couple of days continuously, just needing refilling. Trouble was we could never get through to people not to use the kettle as well.

Glad we have the little Honda with us on this trip as we have used it every evening. Seems a faulty water pump may have knackered our battery as it struggles with lights and telly on for just over an hour. Looking at the possibilities of a lithium battery.

11 hours ago, BradleyWiggins said:

Glad we have the little Honda with us on this trip as we have used it every evening. Seems a faulty water pump may have knackered our battery as it struggles with lights and telly on for just over an hour. Looking at the possibilities of a lithium battery.

Be really interested in your findings about the lithium battery... The prices are plummeting but still nearer £1000 than £100...

Apparently a 50 amp/hr lithium is equivalent to 100 amp/hr lead acid.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, BradleyWiggins said:

Apparently a 50 amp/hr lithium is equivalent to 100 amp/hr lead acid.

True to a point because youre not supposed to discharge lead acid below 50% or thereabouts. Lithium batteries however are better not fully discharged, I generally aim for 20 to 30% as my cut off point to help prolong the life.