Sign in to follow this  
StuJag

Fridge & Mover problems

I wonder whether you can help me with a problem that has arisen with my Lunar Stellar caravan (2017 model)

I purchase this model following a visit to the Caravan Show in October 2016. It came complete with a Powrtouch Classic Motor Mover.

Everything was alright until the summer of 2018 when I tried to use the mover to leave the site we had just spent four days on.  On arrival at the site it worked perfectly.

Thinking it was a problem with the mover I contacted Powrtouch and they fitted a new ECB.  Owing to a family bereavement we did not go away until early 2019 when we had difficulty both arriving and leaving the site.

It was suggested that the car was not charging the caravan battery when the fridge was switched to 12v whilst towing.

The next two trips I did not turn the fridge on whilst travelling and the mover worked perfectly.

I am at a total loss as to where we go from here and would be grateful if you could shed any light on the matter.

You seem to be suggesting that after using your van at a site there have been occasions when the battery is flat and the mover won't work. I can't see how this can be attributed to the towcar as the van will have been plugged into an EHU during the stay and the caravan's 12V charger should've had the battery well up to the line.

As far as the fridge is concerned, this should be fed by the car's alternator when it's being driven, though some towbar wiring systems don't have that direct connection and you should check your set up and see if that's the case. I also understand that some modern car's prioritise charging their own battery, rather than peripherals, like caravan batteries and fridges which can cause problems.  

Posted (edited)

:welcome: to Caravan Talk StuJag.

Q1 - what sort of problems did you have?

Q2 - did you use EHU when on site, and was the charger switched on?

Q3 - how old is the battery?

Q4 - have you tried new batteries in the handset?

John

Edited by Johnaldo

This suggests a voltage drop issue. Was the tug wired with the manufacturer kit or was it done by a third party? An under counter fridge draws about 10A but a tall fridge pulls 15A.

It would be a good idea to check the battery voltage with the van disconnected from thecar, then with the van connected but without the engine running, then with the engine running, then with the engine running and the fridge switched on.  Report back your findings and we will be able to give much more help.

16 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

:welcome: to Caravan Talk StuJag.

Q1 - what sort of problems did you have?

Q2 - did you use EHU when on site, and was the charger switched on?

Q3 - how old is the battery?

Q4 - have you tried new batteries in the handset?

John

BATTERIES IN THE HANDSET! This is one that caught me out TWICE ( does one ever learn!) The first time I switched the caravan battery and even tried using two batteries THEN IT DAWNED ! Doh!! 
Second time it didn't take that long but it was after I'd got the multi-meter out and checked the caravan battery voltage THEN checked the handset battery :)

(And I'm electrically qualified!)

Might actually be an earth problem somewhere so allows voltage but when subjected to a higher current goes HR?

Cheers