Sign in to follow this  
LeadFarmer

Sargent EC600 Power Unit Settings?

Posted (edited)

What are the correct settings when towing and in storage?

Towing - I have  mine turned on (black button in) when towing, with the green charger button & amber heating button turned off.

On site - After connecting the EHU cable and filling Aquaroll I turn charger & heating buttons on

Storage - I understand the black button can be left on as I have a solar panel, but it may eventually drain the battery so  for long periods its best turned off.

When in storage for just a couple of weeks or so I intend to leave the black button turned on so the Swift Command app on my phone to see various caravan information, but to power it off completely for longer periods.

EC600.jpg

Edited by LeadFarmer

I have a similar PSU, but don’t have a solar panel or Swift Command.

I never turn the charger button off because there’s no need ... and I’d forget to turn it on and find I had a flat battery after a few days!

I turn the water heater on and off as required  ... unlike others I never leave it on permanently, and never overnight or when away for the day.

In cold weather I leave the heater switch on permanently, then use the main heater control to switch it on by selected the heat output and setting the thermostat.

I never leave the main switch on whe the van’s in storage.

John

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

I never turn the charger button off because there’s no need ... and I’d forget to turn it on and find I had a flat battery after a few days!

I'm told that the charger button should be switched off when connecting mains power to the caravan, to prevent any possible damage. Not sure if thats true?

Edited by LeadFarmer

I’ve never heard that advice, and I’ve been leaving it permanently switched on for the last 15 years with 3 vans without any repercussions.

John

I also never touch those buttons.. everything is left on, I've never had any issues, having said that I plug the caravan in that home so no need to ever switch anything off

If you contact Sargent they will give you a definitive answer. They have one of the best customer service attitudes I have ever encountered. They are REALLY good at it. 

Andy

All mine switched on permanently, except when in storage, the system is powered down by the black button

1 hour ago, PandR said:

All mine switched on permanently, except when in storage, the system is powered down by the black button

Hopefully “all” doesn’t include the water heater?

John

All means all. What's the issue?

I leave all mine on,  I may turn the black button off in storage but only if I remember.

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnaldo said:

55 minutes ago, PandR said:

All means all. What's the issue?

46 minutes ago, JCloughie said:

I leave all mine on,  I may turn the black button off in storage but only if I remember.

Well chaps, I must assume you have different water systems to mine (Ultrastore?)

When I set up on-site it’s legs down ... then EHU connection ... water from a bottle into the kettle ... cup of tea.

If I left all my switches permanently on, then I’d pretty soon have a burnt-out heater.

John.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

John

On my van there isn't a separate water heater button on the EC600, just a heating button. Water heater is turned on either with the Truma display unit, or the Swift Command unit, but the heater button on the EC600 needs to be on.

Edited by LeadFarmer

10 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

If I left all my switches permanently on, then I’d pretty soon have a burnt-out heater.

Why, it’s thermostatically controlled and automatically regulated.  My system is Alde, but the same principle applies.

John

1 hour ago, JCloughie said:

Why, it’s thermostatically controlled and automatically regulated.  My system is Alde, but the same principle applies.

John

The Truma heater uses an immersion heater in the hot water tank.  If the tank has been drained and the heater element is switched on it can overheat before the water thermostat gets hot enough to switch it off.  The Alde system heats the water indirectly and the primary circuit is normally kept full.

1 hour ago, DACS said:

The Truma heater uses an immersion heater in the hot water tank.  If the tank has been drained and the heater element is switched on it can overheat before the water thermostat gets hot enough to switch it off.  The Alde system heats the water indirectly and the primary circuit is normally kept full.

They are very good points.  But we have used Truma systems for years with no problem.

John

• +1 1

8 hours ago, JCloughie said:

They are very good points.  But we have used Truma systems for years with no problem.

... But have you ever turned it on when the tank is dry? My mate was a terror for doing this, and on the third occasion it didn’t re-set and required a new (and rather expensive) element ☹️.

John

With Alde and EC 500.

Towing - I dont turn anything off, the EC 500 sorts itself out.

On site - I plug in the ehu cable, dont touch the EC 500.

Storage - I turn off the black button.

I've done the above for 4 years.

Solar panels keep the battery charged for the Phantom alarm.

I was advised by mobile engineer to turn off the solar panels when on ehu, so I do but dont really see the point.

On sites with 4 amp supply I turn off the battery charger and use the solar panels. 

Hope this helps.

I think the problem with turning the black button off is you can’t then use the Swift Command app to monitor certain things such as battery level and solar panel input.  Although the battery level can still be seen via the Tracker part of the app, but not the solar panel. 

So long as the battery is OK, do you need to know what the panel is doing?

I just like to know from Phantom that the battery is OK.

I forgot to turn off the black button. Just over three weeks latter the battery was down to 2v. (Yes 2v) Luckily it has recovered, but I expect it’s down on capacity. 

Nowdays I have the phantom tracker. The app lets me see the battery voltage. About every 6 weeks it drops to just over 12v. I then remove and recharge.   

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

I forgot to turn off the black button. Just over three weeks latter the battery was down to 2v. (Yes 2v) Luckily it has recovered, but I expect it’s down on capacity. 

Nowdays I have the phantom tracker. The app lets me see the battery voltage. About every 6 weeks it drops to just over 12v. I then remove and recharge.   

I take it you don't have a solar panel fitted?

Do you have to inform the tracker company that you are going to disconnect the battery?

1 hour ago, bubble2015 said:

So long as the battery is OK, do you need to know what the panel is doing?

I just like to know from Phantom that the battery is OK.

True, but I guess it makes all the other features of the app redundant also, such as temperature, history etc?

Edited by LeadFarmer

2 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

I take it you don't have a solar panel fitted?

Do you have to inform the tracker company that you are going to disconnect the battery?

I do have a solar panel, but store inside so no solar power. 

The phantom app allows you to put the tracker into service mode, which disables alerts for pre set time window ( you can also cancel service mode)