Sign in to follow this  
RustyNail1976

Electrical question

Hi. 

Just wondering if anyone knows what this thing is next to the fuse box in my hobby 2005 caravan? I'm referring to the rectangular looking box. I'm clueless with electrics. However, this thing has started making "popping sounds" when I switch on my generator. (Not currently on EHU).

Thanks. 

2019-10-02 18.55.46.png

Looks as though it might be a junction box for tv aerial.

Posted (edited)

Can you turn the kettle off and take another photo? :)  Or clean yer glasses!

Edited by kelper

I see a distinctly non-standard set up including an aerial booster and a worryingly taped up consumer unit incorporating MCBs and RCD. I also see a large unidentified box which I would not dare touch until the consumer unit has been checked out by a competent electrician!

It's a TV aerial amplifier. You can see the coax input, out and 12v supply (the thin black cable)

14 minutes ago, matelodave said:

It's a TV aerial amplifier. You can see the coax input, out and 12v supply (the thin black cable)

Can't imagine a 12v Status aerial amplifier (top left device) making 'popping sounds' when a generator is running.  I could see it passing into the permanency of amplifier afterlife with a little puff of smoke and not much else.

I had the impression that it was the rectangular box mounted portrait style to the right of the badly taped up consumer unit.   Presumably the EHU cable could be disconnected for a look inside to identify its purpose - 'popping sounds' may be a relay making and breaking but who knows.  

• Thanks 1

The box with Status written on it is the TV aerial booster.

The box directly below that is the main incoming distribution box with RCD and MCB's.

The oblong box next to that is the 12v transformer unit, made by Dometic and is standard fit on Hobby vans.

The worrying thing is the gaffer tape on the main incoming distribution box.

Be aware that if your generator has fried the 12v transformer box they are around the £400 mark to replace which is why it is not advised to run caravan electrics on any generator,.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ReggiePerrin said:

Can't imagine a 12v Status aerial amplifier (top left device) making 'popping sounds' when a generator is running.  I could see it passing into the permanency of amplifier afterlife with a little puff of smoke and not much else.

I had the impression that it was the rectangular box mounted portrait style to the right of the badly taped up consumer unit.   Presumably the EHU cable could be disconnected for a look inside to identify its purpose - 'popping sounds' may be a relay making and breaking but who knows.  

That where a decent photo and more specific info is required otherwise we are all guessing what the OP is asking

2 minutes ago, matelodave said:

That where a decent photo and more specific info is required otherwise we are all guessing what the OP is asking

Nothing wrong with the photo if you own a Hobby,,,,,,,,,it is the standard setup in them.

People who have never owned a Hobby are the only confused ones.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Brecon said:

Nothing wrong with the photo if you own a Hobby,,,,,,,,,it is the standard setup in them.

I sincerely hope that the sticky tape is not standard!

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Brecon said:

Cant say I'm everso impressed at their standard of workmanship - gaffer tape on the MCB box and dangling wiring for the antenna :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, ReggiePerrin said:

Hi Reggie, 

Yes, that was the box I was referring to. The taped up part was done before we got the van as it was there at the time. I'm getting an electrician to have a look at it in the morning. 

1 hour ago, matelodave said:

Cant say I'm everso impressed at their standard of workmanship - gaffer tape on the MCB box and dangling wiring for the antenna :rolleyes:

The tape was done before we got the van, it's always been there. Had van about 18 months.

2 hours ago, kelper said:

Can you turn the kettle off and take another photo? :)  Or clean yer glasses!

Photo is bad due to a shoddy camera on phone 😉

1 hour ago, matelodave said:

The tape was done before we got the van, it's always been there. Had van about 18 months.

14 minutes ago, RustyNail1976 said:

Hi Reggie, 

Yes, that was the box I was referring to. The taped up part was done before we got the van as it was there at the time. I'm getting an electrician to have a look at it in the morning. 

Good move with the electrician... fingers crossed for an effective but not overly expensive fix.

The gaffer tape holds the clear plastic cover on I reckon.

13 minutes ago, BOAC said:

The gaffer tape holds the clear plastic cover on I reckon.

You could be right, but I would not advise anyone to stake their life on it!

8 hours ago, Brecon said:

I can't make out anything on that photo so can't comment.

2 hours ago, xtrailman said:

I can't make out anything on that photo so can't comment.

Same here, others must have better eyesight than us.

Should have gone to Specsavers

9 hours ago, RustyNail1976 said:

Photo is bad due to a shoddy camera on phone 😉

Have you tried cleaning the lens?