Jump to content
MPG

Forced Tow Car Change

Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

 

Town & Country - that's a term I haven't heard in a long while - not sure what the modern equivalent is, All-Season or All Terrain (AT) presumably.


Jaguar call them All Season tyres - I am just old fashioned 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, kelper said:

Do you fit winter tyres?  Or all-seasons?  I ask because my Defender was useless in snow - because it had unsuitable tyres.

You were driving it wrongly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

 

The VM Motori 3.0 V6 diesel was a joint development between VM Motori and GM, intended to be used in Cadillacs - GM pulled out when they declared bankrupcy in the Global Banking Crisis leaving VM Motori with sole rights to the engine - GM sold their half share in VM Motori to Fiat who already owned the other half.

 

I don't see where there's any Mercedes involvement in that engine.


Indeed. I know Jeep owners like the ‘its really a Mercedes underneath without the price tag’ line but those days are long gone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FrankBullet said:


Indeed. I know Jeep owners like the ‘its really a Mercedes underneath without the price tag’ line but those days are long gone!

I think they still use the Merc floor pan and don't they still use the Quadra transmission ?

 

Fiat share a number of vehicles their pickup is Mitsibishi L200 and the Fiat 500 is a Ford KA The Ducato van shares the Pug Boxer and Traffic for example .

Edited by CommanderDave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

 

 

Fiat share a number of vehicles their pickup is Mitsibishi L200 and the Fiat 500 is a Ford KA The Ducato van shares the Pug Boxer and Traffic for example .

Since FIAT use the platform for both 500 and Panda, it can be said that the KA is really a FIAT! At that, it goes up in my estimation!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CommanderDave said:

I think they still use the Merc floor pan and don't they still use the Quadra transmission ?

 

Fiat share a number of vehicles their pickup is Mitsibishi L200 and the Fiat 500 is a Ford KA The Ducato van shares the Pug Boxer and Traffic for example .


Very little in the car industry is unique, years ago CAR magazine mapped the manufacturers and their joint ventures and partnerships, it would be useful to see that again. The Pug Boxer and Trafic are not related, it’s the Ducato/ CITROEN Relay and Boxer that are related; the Trafic is also the Vauxhall (Movano?) and Nissan (Primstar I think it’s called?)

 

I’ve no doubt somewhere in a Jeep product there is Mercedes Benz bits even if it’s just the ashtray mechanism!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you dig a little deeper some Focus and Fiesta Models, MINI , BMW 1 & 2 all share PSA/Ford engines. Volvo 30 series has Focus underpinnings. Citröen C1, Pug 107, Toyo Aygo  share Toyota floorpans and running gear. Mercedes are using Renault diesels, their X Class is a Navara, the list goes on. Some are marriages made in heaven...........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Tuningdrew said:

If you dig a little deeper some Focus and Fiesta Models, MINI , BMW 1 & 2 all share PSA/Ford engines. Volvo 30 series has Focus underpinnings. Citröen C1, Pug 107, Toyo Aygo  share Toyota floorpans and running gear. Mercedes are using Renault diesels, their X Class is a Navara, the list goes on. Some are marriages made in heaven...........

 

I think yo'll find that the Focus/Volvo relationship died over ten years ago..., but in principle you are right, there are many, many  "relationships"... Back in the day the big Ford petrol engines were Yamaha, Volvo 2.8 V6 was a Peugeot/Renault Volvo JV... Apparently my Kuga engine is Peugeot...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Guzzilazz said:

 

I think yo'll find that the Focus/Volvo relationship died over ten years ago..., but in principle you are right, there are many, many  "relationships"... Back in the day the big Ford petrol engines were Yamaha, Volvo 2.8 V6 was a Peugeot/Renault Volvo JV... Apparently my Kuga engine is Peugeot...

 

Volvo ended their use of the Ford C1 platform in 2013 when the C30 and C70 ended production.

 

My VW Touareg uses the Porsche Cayenne platform with the Audi V6 TDi, built by Skoda!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...