MPG

Forced Tow Car Change

51 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Town & Country - that's a term I haven't heard in a long while - not sure what the modern equivalent is, All-Season or All Terrain (AT) presumably.

Jaguar call them All Season tyres - I am just old fashioned 😂

16 hours ago, kelper said:

Do you fit winter tyres?  Or all-seasons?  I ask because my Defender was useless in snow - because it had unsuitable tyres.

You were driving it wrongly. 

9 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

The VM Motori 3.0 V6 diesel was a joint development between VM Motori and GM, intended to be used in Cadillacs - GM pulled out when they declared bankrupcy in the Global Banking Crisis leaving VM Motori with sole rights to the engine - GM sold their half share in VM Motori to Fiat who already owned the other half.

I don't see where there's any Mercedes involvement in that engine.

Indeed. I know Jeep owners like the ‘its really a Mercedes underneath without the price tag’ line but those days are long gone!

3 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

Indeed. I know Jeep owners like the ‘its really a Mercedes underneath without the price tag’ line but those days are long gone!

I think they still use the Merc floor pan and don't they still use the Quadra transmission ?

Fiat share a number of vehicles their pickup is Mitsibishi L200 and the Fiat 500 is a Ford KA The Ducato van shares the Pug Boxer and Traffic for example .

Edited by CommanderDave

42 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Fiat share a number of vehicles their pickup is Mitsibishi L200 and the Fiat 500 is a Ford KA The Ducato van shares the Pug Boxer and Traffic for example .

Since FIAT use the platform for both 500 and Panda, it can be said that the KA is really a FIAT! At that, it goes up in my estimation!

1 hour ago, CommanderDave said:

I think they still use the Merc floor pan and don't they still use the Quadra transmission ?

Very little in the car industry is unique, years ago CAR magazine mapped the manufacturers and their joint ventures and partnerships, it would be useful to see that again. The Pug Boxer and Trafic are not related, it’s the Ducato/ CITROEN Relay and Boxer that are related; the Trafic is also the Vauxhall (Movano?) and Nissan (Primstar I think it’s called?)

I’ve no doubt somewhere in a Jeep product there is Mercedes Benz bits even if it’s just the ashtray mechanism!

If you dig a little deeper some Focus and Fiesta Models, MINI , BMW 1 & 2 all share PSA/Ford engines. Volvo 30 series has Focus underpinnings. Citröen C1, Pug 107, Toyo Aygo  share Toyota floorpans and running gear. Mercedes are using Renault diesels, their X Class is a Navara, the list goes on. Some are marriages made in heaven...........

19 hours ago, Tuningdrew said:

If you dig a little deeper some Focus and Fiesta Models, MINI , BMW 1 & 2 all share PSA/Ford engines. Volvo 30 series has Focus underpinnings. Citröen C1, Pug 107, Toyo Aygo  share Toyota floorpans and running gear. Mercedes are using Renault diesels, their X Class is a Navara, the list goes on. Some are marriages made in heaven...........

I think yo'll find that the Focus/Volvo relationship died over ten years ago..., but in principle you are right, there are many, many  "relationships"... Back in the day the big Ford petrol engines were Yamaha, Volvo 2.8 V6 was a Peugeot/Renault Volvo JV... Apparently my Kuga engine is Peugeot...

5 hours ago, Guzzilazz said:

I think yo'll find that the Focus/Volvo relationship died over ten years ago..., but in principle you are right, there are many, many  "relationships"... Back in the day the big Ford petrol engines were Yamaha, Volvo 2.8 V6 was a Peugeot/Renault Volvo JV... Apparently my Kuga engine is Peugeot...

Volvo ended their use of the Ford C1 platform in 2013 when the C30 and C70 ended production.

My VW Touareg uses the Porsche Cayenne platform with the Audi V6 TDi, built by Skoda!