MPG

Forced Tow Car Change

Having had the Touareg stolen last week and the insurance paid up I am now on an urgent search for a replacement tow car. 

I have narrowed it down to a Jeep Grand Cherokee (ideally a 2016 face lifted model) or a similar aged Audi A6 allroad (which appears to tick the boxes but I have yet to test drive). 

I would be interested in any real world advice or experiences of towing with either cars - especially a twin axle van. 

Thanks in advance.

Mike  

3 minutes ago, MPG said:

Having had the Touareg stolen last week and the insurance paid up I am now on an urgent search for a replacement tow car. 

I have narrowed it down to a Jeep Grand Cherokee (ideally a 2016 face lifted model) or a similar aged Audi A6 allroad (which appears to tick the boxes but I have yet to test drive). 

I would be interested in any real world advice or experiences of towing with either cars - especially a twin axle van. 

Thanks in advance.

Mike  

We tow our Buccaneer 2000kg MTPLM with a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit 3.0CRD which has a full Jeep service history.  This model has air suspension and is self levelling.  Towing at 58mph we get about 23mpg using normal branded diesel.  If i push it, this drops down to about 20-21mpg.  Solo getting about 35mpg on the motorway.  It gives a very stable tow.

In summer the seats which are leather are also air cooled so a small bonus on hot days.  In the 2016 I think the Satnav is based on the TomTom format.  if buying a Jeep make sure that it has air suspension and has a full Jeep service history.  The Overland or Summit versions are the preferred models as they have a few extra toys. 

Another very happy Grand Cherokee owner here. Mine’s a 2017 Overland. I pretty much echo Durbanites comments, except I haven’t a clue about fuel consumption, it’s not something I think about. 

The Overland/Summit on their air suspension makes an amazing towcar, our caravan is only around 1500kg, but I’ve towed plant trailers very close to 3500kg with no dramas at all. Very capable off-road too, if that’s relevant to you. I looked long and hard at the Touareg myself, but they’re nearly all R Line, and I found the ride intolerable, if I’d been able to find one on air, I’d have considered it. 

I couldn't  be more pleased with my Jeep, and they’re good value for money for what you get IMO. 

• +1 1

5 hours ago, MPG said:

Thanks in advance.

Mike  

Get another Touareg - you'll regret it if you don't.

15 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

Become a supplier of Tourags to thieves?  :D

On 02/10/2019 at 18:58, Black Grouse said:

You might be right, but after insurance can’t really stretch to a Treg of the age / mileage we want and having driven a GC with the air suspension it’s much better than the Rline we had with springs! 

Just about to purchase a Touareg R line! Should I be worried about it going missing?? 

5 minutes ago, Voobu said:

Just about to purchase a Touareg R line! Should I be worried about it going missing?? 

You have simply no way of knowing I am afraid. These sort of high end vehicles are usually stolen to order, mainly for the parts as they are easy to shift, and for all intents and purposes, parts are untraceable.

If not for parts then the entire vehicle will be out of the country (Eastern block being favourite, little law enforcement!) before the owners knows they are gone (the wonders of modern containerised shipping I am afraid)

Andy

11 minutes ago, Voobu said:

I've not heard of any issues like that.

Never towed with a Jeep but hired several in the US.

To me they epitomise the lack of quality one finds with most things American. Like their houses, all flash and glitz but built with cardboard and clapboard.

I'd buy a decent European brand car every time over American garbage.

Having said that we have a Sorento and that's also extremely well built and arguably better value than the VWs and Audi's.

• +1 2

check out the SsangYong Rexton W

superb 3500Kg tow car.

• Like 1

Go Audi the  Yanks cant make decent cars

Audi will go forever and the all wheel is very good at towing #would go with 5000miles of a Rexton, with its Merc Donk

• Confused 1
  • +1 1

7 hours ago, Relick said:

Go Audi the  Yanks cant make decent cars

Audi will go forever and the all wheel is very good at towing #would go with 5000miles of a Rexton, with its Merc Donk

Rextons haven't used Mercedes engines since 2013.They do use their autoboxes though. 

• Like 1

I changed recently and had set my heart on an Audi Allroad but once I had seen it I changed my mind. In the end I bought a BMW 530d m-sport touring which fits the bill with towing the twin axle. It does 28 whilst towing so not so very bad. But when your not towing its a hell of a lot of fun with lots of gadgets and gizmos to satisfy anyone that has an interest in cars. Before we had a Galaxy which did the job but needed a bit more go in it when entering motorways and dual carriageways to join already fast traffic. This the BMW does without a sweat, I thoroughly recommend them.  

Having driven a fair few of the SUV & 4x4 type vehicles over the years I have to say that a Jeep, in any guise, would be a long way down the list of vehicles I would want as my own. As has been said by others the build quality just doesn’t seem to be present, and they seem to be totally devoid of any rewarding  “driving experience”  Oh and they are incredibly UGLY as well.

That is, of course, only my personal view. I am not, and probably never will be, in the market for a large tow car. There are just the two of us, we have (what we consider) a fairly large caravan for 2 (Bailey Phoenix) that grosses at 1450kg . My car of choice is a very comfortable top of the range Mazda 6 estate, it is diesel, has a huge amount of torque, and it can tow up to 1600kg so is more than capable. If driven solo it turns in around 50mpg and about 27 when towing. Towing probably accounts for about 20% of my annual mileage at the most. Therefore I can see no reason to give up the comfort and excellent driving dynamics of a car for a 4x4 for 80% of the my mileage that doesn’t involve towing.  Couple that with the fact that it would use much more fuel whether towing or not and the decision, to me, isn’t difficult to make. 

If the need ever arose to get a big tug then my ultimate would (probably)  be a Touareg, or a BMW X5, but certainly NOT Jeep! 

Andy

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Having driven a fair few of the SUV & 4x4 type vehicles over the years I have to say that a Jeep, in any guise, would be a long way down the list of vehicles I would want as my own. As has been said by others the build quality just doesn’t seem to be present, and they seem to be totally devoid of any rewarding  “driving experience”  Oh and they are incredibly UGLY as well.

An interesting comparison can be made between the Jeep brand and European cars by looking at the FIAT 500X and the Jeep Renegade. The two cars are built on the same floorpan, to the same concept, on the same production line, addressed at two different markets.

The differences in style and feel are huge!

I seriously looked at both and while I very much liked the FIAT (Pity it is not, in my view, man enough for towing my choice of van) the Jeep seemed just tacky.

I was hoping that someday, FIAT who own both FIAT and Chrysler would produce a truly FIAT version of the Jeep Cherokee. I doubt that will happen and I will end up keeping my Vauxhall for the foreseeable future. 

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

That is, of course, only my personal view. I am not, and probably never will be, in the market for a large tow car. There are just the two of us, we have (what we consider) a fairly large caravan for 2 (Bailey Phoenix) that grosses at 1450kg . My car of choice is a very comfortable top of the range Mazda 6 estate, it is diesel, has a huge amount of torque, and it can tow up to 1600kg so is more than capable. If driven solo it turns in around 50mpg and about 27 when towing. Towing probably accounts for about 20% of my annual mileage at the most. Therefore I can see no reason to give up the comfort and excellent driving dynamics of a car for a 4x4 for 80% of the my mileage that doesn’t involve towing.  Couple that with the fact that it would use much more fuel whether towing or not and the decision, to me, isn’t difficult to make. 

If the need ever arose to get a big tug then my ultimate would (probably)  be a Touareg, or a BMW X5, but certainly NOT Jeep! 

Andy

Agree with all of that - if I ever wanted a truck it wouldn’t be a Jeep (or a Ssangyong for that matter!) but I can’t honestly see me wanting a SUV - much rather an A6 Avant, E-klasse estate, V90 et-al

12 hours ago, PandR said:

Never towed with a Jeep but hired several in the US.

To me they epitomise the lack of quality one finds with most things American. Like their houses, all flash and glitz but built with cardboard and clapboard.

I'd buy a decent European brand car every time over American garbage.

Having said that we have a Sorento and that's also extremely well built and arguably better value than the VWs and Audi's.

Considering the Jeep is built in Europe with the CRD using an engine built in Italy, I am not sure how American that is.  We are on our second Jeep GC in 6 years.  Our first was a 2005 which had the Merc 350ML drive train and was very reliable.  We sold it last year with 120 miles on the clock and the engine and gearbox never faltered.  Our current 2012 Jeep GC had 45k on the clock when we purchased it and we are very happy with it as quality is on par with many EU manufactured luxury 4x4 cars except at a lower price.  However we all have freedom of choice at the moment to decide what is best for us.  Now if we were to discuss Landrover that would be way down the bottom of our list.  Only other 4x4 we would look at would be a Landcruiser, but they are out of our price range for the equivalent year.  :D 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

) but I can’t honestly see me wanting a SUV - much rather an A6 Avant, E-klasse estate, V90 et-al

My son has just bought himself a V90  “Ocean Sailing” derivative. 

Now THAT is a very nice bit of kit indeed!! Apart from the rather costly VED because the list price is £40K+ 

I would certainly like one myself, but the price puts it out of my range.

Andy

So many Jeep haters 😟😟

If you are talking about the earlier generation Grand Cherokee, I entirely agree, the interior styling and materials left an awful lot to be desired. The current one is a quantum leap better and holds its own in the big 4x4 sector, especially considering the Jeeps cost. A Discovery is definitely nicer, but there’s big price difference, and there’s nothing else that comes close in terms of off-road ability and ride quality. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

You have simply no way of knowing I am afraid. These sort of high end vehicles are usually stolen to order, mainly for the parts as they are easy to shift, and for all intents and purposes, parts are untraceable.

If not for parts then the entire vehicle will be out of the country (Eastern block being favourite, little law enforcement!) before the owners knows they are gone (the wonders of modern containerised shipping I am afraid)

Andy

I know any car could potentially be stolen. Just wondered if the Touareg (R-line being keyless) was a magnet to car thieves. I will be purchasing a steering wheel lock just in case. 

Thanks  for the reply’s 

I bought a steering lock for the 530 touring under sufferance, it just seems that we are going back to the seventies. Id rather have a key and a steering lock. I keep my keys in a tin over night as well....ridiculous.

3 hours ago, Fireman Iain said:

A Discovery is definitely nicer, but there’s big price difference, and there’s nothing else that comes close in terms of off-road ability and ride quality. 

I don’t think I have ever come across a caravan owner who needed THAT much “Off road ability” A bit of wet grass/loose gravel perhaps, but not a lot more ;)

No-one mention LR (lack of) reliability please! 

Andy

I have seen XC90's, Q7's X5's and various other 4x4 all stopped by wet grass with the caravan on the back but so far have always been able to get off the field with the Disco, may just have been lucky but never missed a ferry yet:)

5 minutes ago, deputytl said:

I have seen XC90's, Q7's X5's and various other 4x4 all stopped by wet grass with the caravan on the back but so far have always been able to get off the field with the Disco, may just have been lucky but never missed a ferry yet:)

I could say the same for my Antara, but the truth is that it is often down to the driver and the precise route chosen.

Too much right foot on wet grass with mud underneath can get any 4x4 bogged down! Big chunky tyres also make a difference, they dig deeper holes quicker!