Sign in to follow this  
NickCuz

New Static Owner

Hi all

Hope we are well:rolleyes:

We have just purchased our first static caravan, with so much to learn just wondered if somebody could give me some advice or point me in the right direction 

1, Any recomendations on what products to use to clean upholstery and the carpets

2, Any tips for the winter do people take TVs and appliances home with them or will they be ok

Thank you all in advance, and nice to meet you all

Nick

If not kept warm in winter you will need to drain down the water systems to avoid damage from freezing. If you have central heating that ought to have anti freeze in. When not there it is sensible to remove things of value or put them out of sight but it depends on the site security whether theft is a high risk.

If you wet clean the carpets, do not use a lot of water since this could damage the chipboard floor boards.

It is perhaps the wrong time of the year to begin extensive interior cleaning of a caravan due to the moist and chilly air around at the moment.  Any wettening of the carpets and upholstery will likely take an age to dry properly, risking  mould and other problems that will be a much bigger problem to cure.  Ideally, you need several warm breezy days with the caravan windows and doors open to ensure thorough drying.  A wet and dry type vacuum cleaner might be of help.  For upholstery, after very thorough vacuuming,  I've succesfully used the aerosol type foaming cleaner designed for car upholstery - spray it on generously, leave for a few minutes, then scrub vigorously with a damp sponge rinsed often.  Repeat as needed, covering a small area each time.  Quite hard work, but good results I found.  I think I picked some up in a £store,  just as an experiment and was quite pleased with it and one can covered a large area.

Electrical items may be placed out of sight but do bear in mind they too can be affected by cold moist air in a caravan left unattended, so may be best taken home.

When you leave the van over winter I would advise that electrical items be taken home, particularly the TV.

To winterise, all seat cushions should be pulled away from outside walls, as already stated the central heating should have antifreeze in it , this will have been added at the time of manufacture and the system should not be drained down.

Turn off the mains water supply

The water system should be drained down using the drain taps under the van, there maybe more than one pair (hot and cold are usually side by side.) 

Flush the toilet(s) to empty the cistern(s), then add either antifreeze or concentrated windscreen washer fluid to the the bowl(s), also do the same for the sinks and shower U bends ,the shower U bend is usually outside,underneath the shower tray and is prone the freexing in cold weather.

Leave all taps open, take off the shower hose and put in the  in the shower tray, it is also advisable to take off the showerthermostatic valve as the cassette inside does not drain completely if left in situ, this is quite easy to remove, usually the 2 large retaining nuts are  behind the thermostatic valve.

Leave fridge /freezer door open  and also the oven grill doors

Hope this helps

Edited by terve