Sign in to follow this  
Devon Dancer

DTV Antenna Finder App

Apologies if this has been covered before but whilst whiling away my time I came across a great app which I think is a must for TV addict caravanners!

It's called DTV Antennas and it searches out and displays the terrestrial TV transmitters nearest to where your location is. It gives direction arrows for them all (listed in distance from your location) and you can tap the nearest / most convenient one and it's displayed on a map from your location. Also displays the channels available on that particular mast. Means you can line your aerial up quickly and easily (also tells you if it's Vertical or Horizontal)

It's free to download but usual ad-free one available for £3.49.

No links with the developer just struck me as a very useful addition to a smart phone.

Freepoint UK is also good if you use CMC or C&CC sites and CLs/CSs. If you have GPS turned on it will show you which way to point the aerial from your exact position and for good luck it throws in the direction for a satellite dish as well!

DD, looked for “DTV Antennas” in Apple Store but couldn’t find it ... have you got a link please?

John

I use caravan buddy, works well for finding the right mast to point at and also loads of other useful stuff, also loads of other functions I don’t use

Posted (edited)

for those with satalite tv,  select the location of your caravan and position of sat dish, select the satalite you want to point at. Even shows if a building/ tree is in the line of sight and distance hight

Dishpointer

dishpointer.jpg

Edited by Organman
new image uploaded

13 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

DD, looked for “DTV Antennas” in Apple Store but couldn’t find it ... have you got a link please?

John

Not sure it'll be in Apple Store, I got it on Android

I have the UK Aerial Alignment app on my Blackberry Android.

It works well and shows which way to point your aerial.

It allows you to choose the transmitter and tells you whether it is Horizontal or Vertical and will also show you a map

Appstore

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Organman said:

those with tv,  select the location of your caravan and position of sat dish, select the you want to point at. Even shows if a building/ tree is in the line of sight and distance

dishpointer.jpg

Where within Dishpointer can you determine the "height"  of obstructions such as trees and buildings in the line of sight? Plus, what would you really usefully do with that info even if it is there in Dishpointer?

______________________________________________________________________________________________

There is a very simple "rule of thumb" to determine if these are high enough to be an issue. 

If the tree or building is more than twice its height away from you it is not going to be a problem; a  pretty easy judgement to make in most cases.

Edited by JTQ