Log burner

Gav22

Message added by CT Advertising,

What kw stove would be good for a static? It’s interesting to hear someone Talk about what a pain a stove was and that they’ve gone for paraffin instead, food for thought. Nothing like watching flames though...

did OP go with a stove in the end?

Edited by AliceW

Seek advice from a reputable supplier of wood burner.

I knew a chap who was in the line of business a few years ago. Reckoned most of his business was replacing high output stoves installed by others will lower output ones! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

21 minutes ago, AliceW said:

What kw stove would be good for a static? It’s interesting to hear someone Talk about what a pain a stove was and that they’ve gone for paraffin instead, food for thought. Nothing like watching flames though...

did OP go with a stove in the end?

The OP lasted about 10 days Not been back since October '19

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

All types of heating have plus and minus points, but if thinking about paraffin fire (or free standing calor gas fire) bear in mind that they throw out a tremendous amount of moisture, which is not a good thing in any home, let alone a static.

When researching what to have, it is worth while looking for forums/blogs etc for people living in houseboats and narrowboats - many of the problems and solutions apply equally well to mobile homes.

Attached a commercial link which may help give an idea of what is needed for a wood burner - somewhere to start.

https://www.homebuilding.co.uk/advice/how-to-choose-a-woodburning-stove

16 minutes ago, 2seaside said:

if thinking about paraffin fire (or free standing calor gas fire) bear in mind that they throw out a tremendous amount of moisture,

Plus an amount of carbon monoxide.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

14 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Seek advice from a reputable supplier of wood burner.

I knew a chap who was in the line of business a few years ago. Reckoned most of his business was replacing high output stoves installed by others will lower output ones! 

Users of woodburning stoves have a tendancy to buy stoves much bigger than their requirements.

As an indication of the heat output of these stoves the Carron Ironworks

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carron_Company

produced a flat pack stove for the migrants heading west in their covered waggons?.

I saw one of these stoves in a visit to their museum 30 years ago the stove was tiny -less than 1 cubic foot in size.

15 hours ago, JanandJay said:

The OP lasted about 10 days Not been back since October '19

Yeah that’s why I was asking if they’d decided to get one and how they were getting on if they did

1 hour ago, 2seaside said:

All types of heating have plus and minus points, but if thinking about paraffin fire (or free standing calor gas fire) bear in mind that they throw out a tremendous amount of moisture, which is not a good thing in any home, let alone a static.

When researching what to have, it is worth while looking for forums/blogs etc for people living in houseboats and narrowboats - many of the problems and solutions apply equally well to mobile homes.

Attached a commercial link which may help give an idea of what is needed for a wood burner - somewhere to start.

https://www.homebuilding.co.uk/advice/how-to-choose-a-woodburning-stove

Nice advice. Thanks.

Unless you buy kiln-dried logs, be prepared to split logs as soon as you cut the living wood. It will help with seasoning and with burning; the more surface area you have, the better the burn. The French (and maybe others) know this as a look at a wood pile in rural France will show.

My daughter-in-law got me one of these for Christmas; a fine piece of kit and much less dangerous than me having to swing an axe about.

hawkaye :beardy:

2 hours ago, hawkaye said:

Unless you buy kiln-dried logs, be prepared to split logs as soon as you cut the living wood. It will help with seasoning and with burning; the more surface area you have, the better the burn. The French (and maybe others) know this as a look at a wood pile in rural France will show.

My daughter-in-law got me one of these for Christmas; a fine piece of kit and much less dangerous than me having to swing an axe about.

That's interesting.  I did not know that.  We have a wood burning stove and although the load of logs come ready for burning we notice that the bigger round logs don't seem to burn so well as the split ones.   I will now have a look at wood splitters.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/10/2019 at 08:01, Gav22 said:

Thanks all for the help and advice. There are a few things that have made me think about the best way to go about this.

I did have concerns about carbon monoxide and even though I’ve fitted 6 vents to the main living area, I know that it can still build up.

I am going to go ahead with the log burner, but if it is causing any issues, I’ll stop using it and look into the paraffin heater. I can always reuse the log burner in the living space above the garage I’m building.

Thanks again.

I'd be really interested in hearing your experience Gav22 as we are doing a similar thing re living in a static on our land while doing a barn conversion.  Did you make the right decision with the log burner? Do you have any tips you could share please? thanks very much.

Just now, Rachel Packer said:

I'd be really interested in hearing your experience Gav22 as we are doing a similar thing re living in a static on our land while doing a barn conversion.  Did you make the right decision with the log burner? Do you have any tips you could share please? thanks very much.

I'm afraid  Gav22 hasn't been back since October 19, so I doubt you'll get any feedback from them

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

16 minutes ago, JanandJay said:

I'm afraid  Gav22 hasn't been back since October 19, so I doubt you'll get any feedback from them

Ha  ha - good point! Does anyone else have tips/advice on installing a log burner in their static?  Thanks

• 1 year later...

Hi there we’re looking to find a stove for our static but we need one that sits closely to combustibles anyone know of anything? Thanks.

I very much doubt there is such a thig as a wood burner that does not need a non-combustible surround.

But....

Before you go down this route, if you are on a park ask your park owner if log burners are allowed - and also where and how you may store the wood.

Then - regardless of whether or not you are on a park - ask your insurance company; some will not entertain the idea of a log burner, others have very strict stipulations about the installation process and HETAS regulations (and I doubt that any will accept a DIY route).

Then start googling the regulations (there are, I believe, new ones this year)- wood burners have a lot of regulations about the type of stove, the installation of the stove, and the type of wood to be burnt.

Be prepared for your neighbours to protest. Wood burners are not pollution free, even with proper use and wood they can still stink out nearby properties.