joanie

sites with privacy hedges

We set up on a site with privacy hedges, stopped for lunch before putting up the awning  and found it very claustrophobic , so we  packed up and moved to another pitch, more open with a lovely view.  I have noticed that a lot of sites advertise with privacy pitches as  being a selling point.  I know some folk like a bit of privacy , for whatever reason, but I for one don't.  I can understand having a 3 foot hedge as a  way of marking the pitches, but to have a 6 foot hedge that closes you off from everything is not my idea of caravanning.

• Like 1

Stayed at one with high hedges in France.

It had rained a lot in the previous weeks and the sun wasn't able to dry the ground out because of the hedges. It was a quagmire.

Got moved to a large field where we were the only van - plenty of privacy!

I agree with the op. Tall hedges make it claustrophobic, especially when the pitches are small. Its not so bad if there is segregation by natural shrubbery or landscaping (scenery) but a blank wall of green is like parking in a garage.

Not just claustrophobic,  those hedges are a serious fire hazard.  

I am on a site at the moment that has three foot hedges and also areas of 6 ft hedges that give secluded pitches and areas but you have a choice . 

The site has about 50 pitches and It does break up the regimented line of white boxes in a field and also shields awnings from winds .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave
  • +1 2

I can understand giving the people the choice and also as a shelter from the winds, it's just that where people in the past saw  caravanning as a social activity, folk seem to be shutting themselves away more now.   People must be liking the idea of tall hedges as sites are advertising them as good points for the sites. It reminds me of  when I used to live in a large city where you never knew your neighbour, however I have since lived in  a village and now a market town where folk are much more friendly. 

5 minutes ago, joanie said:

People must be liking the idea of tall hedges as sites are advertising them as good points for the sites.

Not something that I generally like. I suppose we are all different. 

24 minutes ago, joanie said:

I can understand giving the people the choice and also as a shelter from the winds, it's just that where people in the past saw  caravanning as a social activity, folk seem to be shutting themselves away more now.   People must be liking the idea of tall hedges as sites are advertising them as good points for the sites. It reminds me of  when I used to live in a large city where you never knew your neighbour, however I have since lived in  a village and now a market town where folk are much more friendly. 

Maybe the pitches with tall hedges are for city dwellers!  I don't mind pitches with low hedges, it cuts out the problem of ignorant folk who walk through other peoples pitches when they can't be bothered to walk round.  Lots of French sites have hedges of all different sizes.  I wouldn't go seeking a pitch with tall hedges.  The social aspect of caravanning is fine in moderation - now I suppose some will now see me as antisocial, we're all different!   :D

John.

• Like 1
  • +1 2

I like a bit of segregation like John. 

Having people trying squeeze between the caravan and the car and stepping over the aquaroll/waste container just takes ignorance to the next level (note for the bloke who did it to us last week at Bladon Chains).

I do try and get a pitch with the back of the van up against the tree/hedge line in the hope that it deters those who want to take a shortcut or exercise/toilet their dogs but I like an open aspect to the front and sides. A a short hedge or bit of shrubbery, each side of the pitch does help to break up the lines or regimented vans and hopefully deters the lazy and idle from taking a short cut across my pitch.

• Like 1
  • +1 1

Whilst we are always polite, part of our reasoning for going away is to get away from folk and have time for us.

So we like individual pitches with some form of border or hedge, do agree tho’ anything over say 1m would be a bit cage like.

We've booked a large, fully serviced  pitch for 3 weeks next year. It has a tallish hedge at the back  and is separated by 3-4 foot hedges between pitches. We like the bit of privacy this gives us and our German Shepherd. I'll also add, my dog poos and wees on command and has never messed on pitch. She always waits to be taken to the designated area to do her business. ;) The hedges also may help people either side of us, who may not be dog lovers, to feel less intimidated by a large GSD. 

John

• Like 1

On 30/09/2019 at 08:03, joanie said:

We set up on a site with privacy hedges, stopped for lunch before putting up the awning  and found it very claustrophobic , so we  packed up and moved to another pitch,

It's just as well that we don't all like the same thing and there are pitches to suite all tastes out there in caravan land.

Personally I like a small hedge around a pitch, especially on a windy site. Many sites abroad adopt this layout and even with high border foliage I cannot say I've ever found it to be claustrophobic, just a little more private.

We've just returned from three weeks on a site in Cornwall where there was a certain amount of hedging but generally it was between rows of pitches but not between individual pitches thus it could be seen as an acceptable compromise for some, by blocking the wind while retaining a view???

Gordon

I don't mind the low hedges that you can see over but when all you can see from your 'van is hedges and a road at the front is just not for me, but like as been said, we  are all different in our wants and needs. 

Rose campsite in Devon has hedges separating a number of pitches however the hedge between pitches is kept at about 3' high.

I don't mind either way.  I've had it all.  Tall, short and no hedging.  The tall hedging is good for the benefit of any sites in exposed places, so its good as a windbreak.  I've been to Clover Fields in Buxton, they have high beech hedging at the sides only.  Front and back are open so you get the views and not looking into any other caravans at the sides.  In France, went onto the site just outside of St Omer (near the German blockhouse), and they had 3ft high rose hedges on some of their pitches.  The scent in late June, was gorgeous

On 30/09/2019 at 13:12, matelodave said:

Having people trying squeeze between the caravan and the car and stepping over the aquaroll/waste container just takes ignorance to the next level (note for the bloke who did it to us last week at Bladon Chains).

Why do people do this?

At Tewksbury CMC site this year there were notices asking people not to do this.

At Clumber park, we were sitting out side the van and this chap opposite just walked straight past my feet with his dirty Cadac plate to the pot wash. He then proceeded to do the same to the van behind. Wouldnt mind but it would have taken him only a minute to walk around.

He was parked on the edge next to the tree line, but I did think about talking the dog for a walk around the back of his van but the wife objected:ph34r:

53 minutes ago, Benny65 said:

Why do people do this?

At Tewksbury CMC site this year there were notices asking people not to do this.

At Clumber park, we were sitting out side the van and this chap opposite just walked straight past my feet with his dirty Cadac plate to the pot wash. He then proceeded to do the same to the van behind. Wouldnt mind but it would have taken him only a minute to walk around.

He was parked on the edge next to the tree line, but I did think about talking the dog for a walk around the back of his van but the wife objected:ph34r:

Yes, my wife takes exception if I suggest doing the same back to them:(.

Although that said, the couple in the van next to us at Littlehampton stopped doing it to us when I retaliated and walked the length of their van to take a shortcut. Fortunately my wife didn't notice my misdemeanour but did comment on the fact that our next door neighbours has suddenly become a bit more polite:rolleyes:

the best one we had recently was the chap opposite , each time he moved his car he would  back it up onto our pitch before moving forward,  (as we didn't have the  awning up), so my OH moved the car around to the other side of the 'van to stop him doing it. No hedge , no matter how high would have stopped him.

It’s an annoying habit of some lazy people. We always try and get a pitch near a fence or hedge, preferably in a quiet corner as one of our dogs is quite reactive (noisy) when people walk past. 

When we have experienced it, I always try and return the favour, I tend to stop and have a good stare in through one of the windows on my way past😆😆😆.

Which led to an interesting conversation last year with a chap who’s wife had been passing between our car and van  numerous times en route to the shower/toilet. I think she had sent him out to ‘have a word’ after I had a good look in at what she was cooking for tea. Poor bloke must have been 30 years older than me, a foot shorter and six or seven stone lighter. I’m a big unit.  He was clearly bricking himself, but I could see her stood watching from a distance. 

Fortunately, I’m a nice guy. We had a pleasant chat, he saw my point of view, and she made a point of avoiding us until they moved on some days later. 

The first photo shows a site I have been visiting since 2004 when it was a CL

The second photo shows the same pitch 14 years later in 2018 when the site had been operating as an Affiliated site of the cc for a number of years.

The hedge provides a wild life haven with a nesting and roost for a variety of birds. The hedge also protects the small birds from raptors such as Buzzards and Sparrow hawks which frequently over fly the site.

The hedge provides a sound and wind barrier The pitch is not overlooked and does not provide a shortcut for man nor beast to encroach. Any neighbours who do not wish to fraternise with me do not need to and likewise if anyone wants chat with me they can do.

When I book to stay at the site I often find on arrival that it has been reserved for me.

7DSCF1449.jpg

7DSCF3690.jpg

42 minutes ago, DeeTee said:

The first photo shows a site I have been visiting since 2004 when it was a CL

The second photo shows the same pitch 14 years later in 2018 when the site had been operating as an Affiliated site of the cc for a number of years.

The hedge provides a wild life haven with a nesting and roost for a variety of birds. The hedge also protects the small birds from raptors such as Buzzards and Sparrow hawks which frequently over fly the site.

The hedge provides a sound and wind barrier The pitch is not overlooked and does not provide a shortcut for man nor beast to encroach. Any neighbours who do not wish to fraternise with me do not need to and likewise if anyone wants chat with me they can do.

When I book to stay at the site I often find on arrival that it has been reserved for me.

7DSCF1449.jpg

7DSCF3690.jpg

Think that looks like Harbury Fields?  If it is I agree nice size pitches, they have really thought of most things there, all service pitches (gravel) and grass area to sit, space for awnings and cars.  Planting on the new area was only just starting to grow last year when we there.  Note to myself must visit again soon.

45 minutes ago, Wonkydonkey said:

Think that looks like Harbury Fields?  If it is I agree nice size pitches, they have really thought of most things there, all service pitches (gravel) and grass area to sit, space for awnings and cars.  Planting on the new area was only just starting to grow last year when we there.  Note to myself must visit again soon.

It was like this in 2015.

7DSCF8478.jpg

FWIW ....

Ditto am also not fond of high hedges, bit of privacy or a demarkation low hedge is just fine.

Equally am really not a fan of sites with overhanging trees just everywhere - Coniston CMC for one - so dismal and dark in leaf (drip drip). Why aren't site trees regularly trimmed, crowned or cut back ?? Does Grenville have a large overgrown high hedge & trees outside his executive office window(s), blocking his view & light at East Grinstead ??

Sadly a busy site we regularly frequented has now become much quieter, probably due to being now  dominated by un-tended & over dominant large trees and hedges- will not return. 

Rant over ...

M

Like so many other things it’s all down to personal preference. Some people like Marmite (me) and other hate the stuff!

Same with hedges on campsites, each to his own, live and let live.,

Andy

• +1 1