We buy any car?

Dobloseven

We got a quote for a car online and arranged appointment and when we arrived the quote dropped a thousand pound while sat in the office without even looking at the car .

Infact I got more money letting the dealer I was buying my new car off sell it in the trade .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

This thread caught my eye and seeing some posts brought back memories of experience with WBAC and Evans Halshaw.

First thing was that having had my 4 year old Audi Q5 serviced at my local dealer from new asked them for a price.

Their response was that the mileage was too high but if it had not been they would have offered the same as WBAC.

I said that I was dissapointed that my 'loyalty' in using them counted for nothing and got a got shrugging of shoulders.

As we were picking up the new car from Milton Keynes I did a search and found EH. Got a price online and arrived to do the deal. After quite a wait I was approached by a guy who asked if I had come for a valuation, I said I had one already and he said he would need to take the car for a test drive.

On his return he said he was not interested in the car as it as there was a problem with the engine. When I asked what it was he said that it stalled at junctions and as I was about to respond a thought struck me.

'You do know it has stop start don't you' I asked and it was clear from his face he didnt so I took the keys out of his hand and left.

Another search brought up Car Shop and the difference was like chalk and cheese so did the deal there and got the money in three days.

I have recently done a price chck on my current car and WBAC came out with a better price than Car Shop so , as ever, it always pays to check.

37 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Maybe the new car being bought is over-priced, allowing the dealer more margin - clearly WBAC's value is variable but can't be dismissed out of hand as it costs nothing to find out.

You’re right, it shouldn’t be dismissed but by the same token it’s not all sweetness and light either

12 minutes ago, Allan Guest said:

This thread caught my eye and seeing some posts brought back memories of experience with WBAC and Evans Halshaw.

First thing was that having had my 4 year old Audi Q5 serviced at my local dealer from new asked them for a price.

Their response was that the mileage was too high but if it had not been they would have offered the same as WBAC.

I said that I was dissapointed that my 'loyalty' in using them counted for nothing and got a got shrugging of shoulders.

As we were picking up the new car from Milton Keynes I did a search and found EH. Got a price online and arrived to do the deal. After quite a wait I was approached by a guy who asked if I had come for a valuation, I said I had one already and he said he would need to take the car for a test drive.

On his return he said he was not interested in the car as it as there was a problem with the engine. When I asked what it was he said that it stalled at junctions and as I was about to respond a thought struck me.

'You do know it has stop start don't you' I asked and it was clear from his face he didnt so I took the keys out of his hand and left.

Another search brought up Car Shop and the difference was like chalk and cheese so did the deal there and got the money in three days.

I have recently done a price chck on my current car and WBAC came out with a better price than Car Shop so , as ever, it always pays to check.

Despite their advert, EH couldn't/wouldn't match what WBAC offered me after inspection.

In reality, all outfits that buy cars in or accept trade-ins are commercial organisations all trying to maximise their profits by buying low and selling high.

One thing I did notice is that SUVs don't depreciate evenly through the year - values rise slightly in autumn and then plummet in spring - presumably demand increases during bad weather.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

I started this thread originally because I was surprised at the difference in the price of the car which I eventually bought and the WBAC valuation. The car isn't perfect cosmetically, though I've seen worse at bigger dealers that were  more money. It's going to be used mainly as a load carrier, so will soon get scruffy anyway. Did think about making an appointment at WBAC, we've one very nearby, just out of interest, but probably a bit pointless. I'm sure they'd soon realise I was a timewaster. As an aside, last year one of my sons partner sold a diesel Smart car with a dodgy autobox to Evans Halshaw for what I thought was a ridiculously high price.