Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dobloseven

We buy any car?

Recommended Posts

Been looking at getting a Vauxhall Zafira Tourer to replace my defunct Renault Kangoo MPV as a predominantly work vehicle. Spotted a potential purchase on Autotrader. 1.4 turbo petrol poverty spec, 66reg 23k miles ex motability.Seller is a semi retired trader in his seventies selling a few cars, mainly late Vauxhalls, from home. Seems a nice enough motor, still some warranty left, FSH, and is the later facelifted model which I prefer. He's happy to take 8500 for it which is a bit lower than main dealer prices. Out of curiosity I put the details into WBAC who came back with a valuation of 9000.Was expecting about 6000 so as it could be auctioned for a bit more and still leave some profit for the buyer to make. Seems a bit odd, I know WBAC would find some faults to reduce the pricea bit, but surely not that much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes WBAC does come out on top. Take your car and see what they offer you, you can walk away if the nit pick and reduce the price to much.

 

Also as an alternative have a look at local garages as some will also buy any car, I know evens halshaw will if there is one near you. It all.comes down to how much running around you want to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter wanted to out her year old RR Evoque and upgrade to a RR Sport.  WBAC offered more than the dealer's trade in price.  Deal done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dealers often adjust their trade in offer based on how many similar cars they already have on their forecourt. WBAC look at a wider customer base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we bought an ex mobility car once and found that you have to get in touch with the DVLA to change the mobility class before you can tax it in a Post Office.  I expect all that can be done on line now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, joanie said:

we bought an ex mobility car once and found that you have to get in touch with the DVLA to change the mobility class before you can tax it in a Post Office.  I expect all that can be done on line now. 

 

Changing the class to Disabled (VED exempt) ) still has to be done at a Post Office, we have just had it to do for our new car.

 

Changing it back from VED exempt is the same process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The model is based on getting the customer through the door and hammering them.

 

Your part time trader probably buys well at the auctions or takes part exchanges from a local dealer who, for whatever reason, wouldn’t sell that car and then flips it with minimal work - no warranty other than what’s left (by the way any trader is required to offer 3 months as a minimum) - his cost is a few hours making sure it’s fine and any consumables.

 

I think a sale with WBAC would end up being around £7k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

The model is based on getting the customer through the door and hammering them.

 

Your part time trader probably buys well at the auctions or takes part exchanges from a local dealer who, for whatever reason, wouldn’t sell that car and then flips it with minimal work - no warranty other than what’s left (by the way any trader is required to offer 3 months as a minimum) - his cost is a few hours making sure it’s fine and any consumables.

 

I think a sale with WBAC would end up being around £7k

 

Have actually got got a quote from them, or any experience at all with dealing with them?

 

When you say the model is based on getting the customer through the door and hammering them, is that when they buy your car, or when they sell one?

 

A trader can offer you as little or as much warranty as they like, but under the CRA if it develops a fault in the first 6 months , it is assumed the fault was present at the point of sale and they have to fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your caravan has a MTPLM of 1680kgs. Will a 1.4 Zafira tow it?

Fred Drift

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

 

Have actually got got a quote from them, or any experience at all with dealing with them?

 

When you say the model is based on getting the customer through the door and hammering them, is that when they buy your car, or when they sell one?


When selling to them - WBAC buy from the public and sell to the trade.

 

Yes I do, a colleague wanted help selling her dads car - she ended up going to a local dealer as the ‘price’ offered on-line for an honest description dropped by 20% when she turned up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Evans Halshaw do a similar on line valuation.

in my experience, they offer more than WBAC, but they, like WBAC will find niggling things to knock down the price.

I've sold 2 cars with them, the difference in valuation to payment was a couple of hundred pounds.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AlwynMike said:

Evans Halshaw do a similar on line valuation.

in my experience, they offer more than WBAC, but they, like WBAC will find niggling things to knock down the price.

I've sold 2 cars with them, the difference in valuation to payment was a couple of hundred pounds.

 


I have experience of EH - got an on-line valuation on our old DS4 of £8,200 so took it to my local dealer and told them about this, trade sales guy turns up (having not been told I have an on-line price) goes through the car (‘It’s a fantastic looking car’ he said), checked the books etc and advised they’d offer £7,600 - I mentioned this is slightly different to the £8,200 and bold as brass his response was ‘Well that is just to get you through the door’ so I just got up and walked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used WBAC on several occasions and find them really good. Yes they do normally knock a bit of their on line valuation but in my experience never enough to stop the sale, they also pay promptly. For me it’s my first stop when selling, normally more than P ex prices and no faffing around advertising and attracting cheap tyre kickers..

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ve used WBAC to get rid of a couple. I’ve found that if you describe it honestly, every knock, scuff and scratch they give exactly the price they quote online. I think most folk are overly optimistic and don’t disclose damage, which is why the prices get knocked down. 

 

Fast and hassle free way to sell a car.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • +1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ended up buying the Zafira. So far so good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/09/2019 at 08:04, FrankBullet said:

The model is based on getting the customer through the door and hammering them.

 

Your part time trader probably buys well at the auctions or takes part exchanges from a local dealer who, for whatever reason, wouldn’t sell that car and then flips it with minimal work - no warranty other than what’s left (by the way any trader is required to offer 3 months as a minimum) - his cost is a few hours making sure it’s fine and any consumables.

 

I think a sale with WBAC would end up being around £7k

 

I got an internet price from WBAC for my Hyundai Santa Fe which I thought was reasonable - my new car was delayed so I let the offer lapse - when I got another price 3 weeks later it had gone up slightly - on inspection, I got their internet price as the car had been valeted and was showroom-ready.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've enquired about several cars. Once they've got the details they send regular updates. I've had five since Monday. They say the valuation has gone down, but they'll honour the original offer. Told the trader about it tonight when he brought the car round. He was a bit surprised but said like we do, they'd find reasons to reduce the price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sold my last car to a trader through autotrader and got around £1500 more than WBAC offer, other sites also offered more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a quote from WBAC and now just keep getting junk mail from them despite unsubscribing/telling them I have sold the car. I went trade the car in and the initial offer was £800 below Autotrader,  the salesman went away/came back and then knocked £800 off the new car to balance the figures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used WBAC - filled in their on-line form ''honestly'' and got an offer which they honoured when taking the car (KIA Sorento) to their depot and best bit was money in bank in a couple of days plus it was higher than the trade-in offered by the dealer for a brand new  Discovery 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TedNewman said:

I used WBAC - filled in their on-line form ''honestly'' and got an offer which they honoured when taking the car (KIA Sorento) to their depot and best bit was money in bank in a couple of days plus it was higher than the trade-in offered by the dealer for a brand new  Discovery 4.

 

It's human nature to view one's own car through rose-tinted glasses and then be miffed when the WBAC buyer spots the minor issues - like you, I found that an honest description produced an offer with no deductions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TedNewman said:

I used WBAC - filled in their on-line form ''honestly'' and got an offer which they honoured when taking the car (KIA Sorento) to their depot and best bit was money in bank in a couple of days plus it was higher than the trade-in offered by the dealer for a brand new  Discovery 4.

 

Sorry but if I was dealing with them I want the money then and there. I sold my caravan to a caravan equivalent of WBAC, (which I have posted about previously)  once the valuation had been agreed in person by the assessor who came to  tow the van away, the money transfer was made then and there, by virtue of online banking via my smartphone I saw the money was in my bank BEFORE the van was towed away. with today's technology I would not expect anything less, no need for "trust" let the facts speak for themselves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

 

It's human nature to view one's own car through rose-tinted glasses and then be miffed when the WBAC buyer spots the minor issues - like you, I found that an honest description produced an offer with no deductions.


No, when you get part exchange values and the WBAC tyre kicker offers 10-15% less when you turn up that’s absolutely nothing to do with thinking your car is worth more than it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/09/2019 at 06:08, Danuk said:

Sometimes WBAC does come out on top. Take your car and see what they offer you, you can walk away if the nit pick and reduce the price to much.

 

Also as an alternative have a look at local garages as some will also buy any car, I know evens halshaw will if there is one near you. It all.comes down to how much running around you want to do.

May be I have miss understood the OP. 

I thought that he was going to buy the Vauxhall Zafira Tourer  and contacted WBAC to check if the price asked/agreed was good. I don't understand why he should be going to local garages to see if they want to buy it. 

As I say unless I have miss understood the OP.

Also you say 'take your car and see what they offer' when I looked into it a awhile ago you went onto their website put in the details of the car you wanted to sell - they came back with an offer - if you accepted they came to you to check out the car. May be things have changed!

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FrankBullet said:


No, when you get part exchange values and the WBAC tyre kicker offers 10-15% less when you turn up that’s absolutely nothing to do with thinking your car is worth more than it is.

 

Maybe the new car being bought is over-priced, allowing the dealer more margin - clearly WBAC's value is variable but can't be dismissed out of hand as it costs nothing to find out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...