Sign in to follow this  
Solderjoint

Side lights car fuse blowing

Posted (edited)

Hi All,

Thank you for your comments, I am rather limited at the moment due to the weather. 

I have however put my multi meter on the 12N earth pin 3 and positive probe onto the caravan aframe.... I am getting continuity.... which correct me if I am wrong but I should be getting continuity. 

Edited by Solderjoint
Wrong text

10 minutes ago, Solderjoint said:

Hi All,

Thank you for your comments, I am rather limited at the moment due to the weather. 

I have however put my multi meter on the 12N earth pin 3 and positive probe onto the caravan aframe.... I am getting continuity.... which correct me if I am wrong but I should be getting continuity. 

Continuity between earth pin in the plug and caravan chassis is not strictly needed but should do no harm.

21 hours ago, Solderjoint said:

Hi All,

If there is not a definite connection between the 12N earth and the chassis then this might suggest the 12N cable insulation has worn through and is touching the chassis. This is a possibility for the lighting positive 12 volt wires causing the fuses to blow and it could be the continuity you are seeing is via the positive wires touching the chassis, through the bulbs. If you have a handbook see if it has a wiring diagram that shows a connection between the earth and chassis - a connection is not shown on my wiring diagram.

If there is a definite connection between the earth and chassis it is not possible to check the lighting wiring with a meter for a short to the chassis unless the bulbs are removed. In this case the best way is to check all the wiring physically including the full length of the 12 N cable and the wires under the caravan that go to the lights. The lighting wiring might be clipped to the chassis in ducting that could be damaged and the wiring insulation worn away.

Hi All,

Well finally sorted it, I unclipped the 12N cable from the chassis and found the issue. The cable had been clamped between the motor mover bracket and the chassis, a securing bolt had gone through the cable..... low and behold my short circuit.

Cut through cable, soldered and jointed cables back together, job done.

So it just leaves me to say thank you to all that offered up advice and tips. Have a great time carravaning.

Many thanks

Chris

• Like 2

:Thankyou: for letting us know how you resolved the problem, it may help someone else in the future. :)