Sign in to follow this  
John W

Made the switch, motorhome on the drive

Been toying with the idea a long time. 

Finally made the plunge, spent a fortune and now have a lovely motorhome on the drive. Caravan has sadly moved down south to new owners. 

Hope I haven’t made an expensive mistake, signs are good so far though. Used it for a night we wouldn’t have bothered with caravan and a day trip for a run over Cannock Chase. 

Will miss the Alde heating though and the masses of space. Won’t miss it being in storage though, the motorhome fits on the drive. 

Will still be here lurking and contributing though. 

• Like 1

We too will probably take on the in-laws Phoenix Motorhome and move to the dark side of the force in the next year or so.

Anyone want to buy a 2 tonne Tabbert? 

I would love one, but the overheating gutless performance of the S Max over Alpine passes with a mere 1550KG on the back made my mind up to go van instead of caravan. 😜

They do make getting away quick and easy . We keep clothes in ours and it only needs transfer the fridge products from home to motorhome  and turn of the Ign key and away .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Noticed that already too, it’s packed ready to go. 

It will be warm on arrival too. 

After 10 years of caravanning, also seriously thinking about changing to a Motorhome. Like you John, I’m towing with an S Max which to be fair has never let me down but it can be hard work to drive and do worry about burning the clutch (it does smell when in uphill traffic or reversing up gradients). It won’t happen for a while but Mrs C does like the rear U shaped center washroom models. I look the look of the Bailey Autograph 69-2 and will check it out at the NEC in a few weeks. Like you John, I don’t want to make an expensive mistake and am cautious as to whether I would miss the freedom of having my car with me. That being said, best of luck and enjoy your new toy 

• Like 1

We were minutes away from signing for a £60K motorhome. Decided to go for lunch before doing the deal, then we decided to go home and discuss it again. After much thought we have now decided not to go for a motorhome. We have agreed to stay with a caravan permanently. At least for the moment. :lol:

The problem I have is that I like to get about a bit when away and think there will be too  many constraints in this regard. We have ebikes but SWMBO doesn't like cycling on roads so that does limit us somewhat.

• +1 1

Once my house move is complete I will be going to the dark side, but keeping my caravan as well.

I want the option of both and may even tow it with the motorhome so family can come on breaks as well.

It may be that the motorhome doesn't stay around long and is sold after we have done a few planned trips that are just easier or more sensible in a motorhome.

when we first started touring we ordered a motor home and long story but we cancelled it Mooching around one Sunday in a caravan dealer and bought a new caravan and haven't looked back. We have thought about changing over the years but when we do a for and against list , the caravan always comes out on top.

Good luck to you though. :) 

• +1 1

Swapping to a motorhome from a caravan brings it's own delights. Notably the sounds from the kitchen area when travelling. There are two easily managed solutions though. 1- Carefully wrap everything in towels etc. OR 2 - buy a couple of sets of ear plugs.  :lol:

We did it the other way round. Sold our Motorhome bought the Clubman and put 28K back in the bank.

The space we have now is near double. No VED or Insurance. No MOTs or servicing. Proper heating (Alde) . No car worries when we arrive where we’re going. I used to tow a Toyota IQ but the legality in Europe now is questionable. Fixed bed instead of the malarkey of making up. 

The list goes on and on. We’ve done both and honestly we both prefer our caravan. Would never go back . 

• Like 3

One of the hidden advantages of motorhomes is the number of places both at home and abroad where you can spend the night for free. Many pubs now offer this so long as you go and buy something in the pub. Many times its cheaper to have a meal and a pint each than spend the night on a CMC or C&CC club site.  Also being able to troll along at a sedate 60mph watching the scenery rather than having to worry about how the thing behind is behaving. No worries when overtaking at that speed either. France has it aires (NOT the motorway ones I hasten to add), either free, or just a few euros a night.

We have a fixed bed in the motorhome, it drops down from the ceiling at night. Absolutely superb. In the daytime we have a large lounge area.

Servicing every 2 years, 5 years warranty on the cab and chassis, and a dream of an torque converter auto box.

Wife's mobility scooter and two electric bikes live in the garage.

What's not to like?

1 hour ago, thebriars said:

One of the hidden advantages of motorhomes is the number of places both at home and abroad where you can spend the night for free. Many pubs now offer this so long as you go and buy something in the pub. Many times its cheaper to have a meal and a pint each than spend the night on a CMC or C&CC club site.  Also being able to troll along at a sedate 60mph watching the scenery rather than having to worry about how the thing behind is behaving. No worries when overtaking at that speed either. France has it aires (NOT the motorway ones I hasten to add), either free, or just a few euros a night.

We have a fixed bed in the motorhome, it drops down from the ceiling at night. Absolutely superb. In the daytime we have a large lounge area.

Servicing every 2 years, 5 years warranty on the cab and chassis, and a dream of an torque converter auto box.

Wife's mobility scooter and two electric bikes live in the garage.

What's not to like?

The base vehicle should be serviced every year. This is ultra important come sale time. 

Aires are fine but we avoided them as they are very basic and very crowded. We worked on the basis why spend 50K then be parked up like sardines. We used good sites. 

It is very few pubs that allow Motorhomes to be parked up. Those that do accept caravans as well.

My wife due to an industrial accident has disabilities. So we need a car when away. Due to prohibitive laws in Europe towing a wee car behind a motor home is no longer viable. 

Whats not to like ?? Well nothing except the cost.

2 hours ago, Charliefarlie said:

The base vehicle should be serviced every year. This is ultra important come sale time. 

Aires are fine but we avoided them as they are very basic and very crowded. We worked on the basis why spend 50K then be parked up like sardines. We used good sites. 

It is very few pubs that allow Motorhomes to be parked up. Those that do accept caravans as well.

Why get the base vehicle serviced every year?????

Service interval is 20,000miles or 2 years. Don't forget there is 5 years manufacturer's warranty on those terms, so it shouldn't have the slightest bearing on sale time.

Plenty of aires in France that are not crowded. Simply keep away from beach areas.

As for pubs that allow motorhome parking, there must be at least 1000 in the UK.  If that counts as very few, so be it!

Best of luck with your  Motor  home, hope your best friend is a Caravanner !

Edited by lunarloopy
Spelling correction
  • Like 1

You only need to look at search for sites that give loads of pubs motorhomes can stop over night with mutual arrangements which is usually a meal or drinks .

https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/webapp.php

My MH calls for a service every 2 years and a annual habitation service .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Over the past 30 years we have oscillated between motorhomes (5) , caravans (4) and VW camper+caravan (2).

Advantages and disadvantages of all permutations have been discussed. Perhaps one day we will come to a conclusion, but I doubt it.

Already looking to trade in our Caravelle for a California or Reimo Citivan next year (keeping the caravan), but don't tell the wife.

I'm considering getting an older motorhome, around 2000, to use on the touring trips while still keeping the caravan for the trips where we stay in one place - it's extra VED and insurance as well as extra depreciation but better than making the switch and not liking it.

If we liked motorhoming, we'd sell both and buy something newer - are there any that stay within the 3500kg gross limit for BE drivers but also have a 3500kg towing limit? That would allow me to put the Touareg on a trailer for days out :lol:

Sign in to follow this