New to the touring scene

SteveT73

Hi all,

Recently bought my fist caravan, went away and towed for the the first time last week. We loved it! I have been asked to go to a site with no EHU which wont be a problem. But I can not find the isolator vales to turn the gas on for my fridge, water heater and fire :). I have a 2002 Abbey aventua 316. Can anyone direct me to them. Tnx in advance

Steve

15 minutes ago, SteveT73 said:

Hi all,

Recently bought my fist caravan, went away and towed for the the first time last week. We loved it! I have been asked to go to a site with no EHU which wont be a problem. But I can not find the isolator vales to turn the gas on for my fridge, water heater and fire :). I have a 2002 Abbey aventua 316. Can anyone direct me to them. Tnx in advance

Steve

:welcome: to Caravan Talk, Steve.

Not sure about your Abbey, but in all my vans the manifold has been in the kitchen cupboards down at ground level.

Try following the pipe from the gas bottle down and under the van, and it should pop up somewhere in the cooker/fridge area.

John

We have never touched those valves in any used van we have owned. They were always left on.

Trace the gas lines and they should be in a visible position.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Almost certainly there's a manifold with isolator knobs in the 'pan cupboard' under the cooker.  They are colour coded - see p32 of the manual. 

I turn off the unused gas lines.  Confuses the heck out of the service guys ;)

It can take quite some time to purge the air out of the gas lines via the small pilot flame jets of the appliances you mention.  Much longer than is needed for the gas hob burners.

Edited by Rodders53

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

21 hours ago, SteveT73 said:

Hi all,

Steve

As the caravan is about 17years old and you have bought it with the isolator taps closed, you would be wise in my opinion to get the caravan gas system checked by an AWS service engineer. AWS = Accredited Workshop Scheme and you will find details  on the NCC (National Caravan Council) web site. The engineers are often mobile and probably in your area so the guy will come to you at home or wherever and do a gas pressure test. 

This is a much safer way to go than switching it on and hoping for the best, and it will be money well spent.

Ern

26 minutes ago, Ern said:

As the caravan is about 17years old and you have bought it with the isolator taps closed, you would be wise in my opinion to get the caravan gas system checked by an AWS service engineer. AWS = Accredited Workshop Scheme and you will find details  on the NCC (National Caravan Council) web site. The engineers are often mobile and probably in your area so the guy will come to you at home or wherever and do a gas pressure test. 

This is a much safer way to go than switching it on and hoping for the best, and it will be money well spent.

Assuming, that is, that when you find them they are turned off!

In any case, unless you are sure that it has recently been serviced, getting one done should be a high priority.