Sign in to follow this  
meone

Towing with Land Rover Evoque - Thoughts please

Thinking of changing our towcar and would like your thoughts on the Land Rover Evoke.  We currently have a Mazda CX 5 and have been happy with it but would like a change.

Thanks 

Thought of one when we changed our Freelander 2! 

Decided it wasn’t for us, as although it is a great tow car, the rear seats headroom is not good, and it has not much luggage capacity .

Went for a Discovery Sport instead!

Plenty of head room and luggage capacity!

Tows like a dream as well!

I have just one comment to make.

Look the reliability levels of both manufacturers and think VERY carefully before coming to a decision.

Andy 

• I do not understand 1

We tow with a Range Rover Evoque 2.0 ingenium diesel engine.

Find it tows better than the Freelander 2 it replaced and the auto box copes perfectly 

well with our Bailey Unicorn Cadiz.

Agree there is less room than the Disco sport in the back but not a problem for us.

Both the Disco sport and the Ewok can suffer from oil dilution with the new euro 6 engine so if the tow car is only used for short runs when not towing that could be an issue.

Cheers

Tom

15 minutes ago, Tadpole said:

Both the Disco sport and the Ewok can suffer from oil dilution with the new euro 6 engine so if the tow car is only used for short runs when not towing that could be an issue.

I think that’s pretty standard on most vehicles now. My Mazda 6 (same engine as the CX5) is prone to oil dilution under similar circumstances. My driving profile seems OK as I have never had the level increase to the point it needs changing between scheduled services.

Andy

Even Jaguar admit the Evoque platform with Euro 6 Ingenium has a problem with oil dilution unless the majority of your driving is on longer faster journeys.

This a specific problem as the dpf is mounted too far away from the engine and behind a bulkhead.  

Jaguar have instructed dealers to discuss this with buyers but doesn't help if you are buying a used one from a non JLR dealer.

3 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Look the reliability levels of both manufacturers and think VERY carefully before coming to a decision.

Andy 

As an owner of a Discovery 4 bought new I have to sadly agree with Andy on this,also the customer relationship after purchase is just a joke,I reckon they just laugh at you behind your back as you leave the showroom.Staff are trained to shrug their shoulders,out of warranty sir nothing to do with us,but it's only done 15,000 miles :blink: I say.

3 hours ago, logiclee said:

Even Jaguar admit the Evoque platform with Euro 6 Ingenium has a problem with oil dilution unless the majority of your driving is on longer faster journeys.

This a specific problem as the dpf is mounted too far away from the engine and behind a bulkhead.  

Jaguar have instructed dealers to discuss this with buyers but doesn't help if you are buying a used one from a non JLR dealer.

We were asked about our driving habits and types of journeys when we went to look at both Jaguar and RangeRovers.

We decided on a Jaguar E-Pace and on delivery were given details about the AdBlue and the DPF.

We have also received emails and links from Jaguar reminding us.

https://www.jaguar.co.uk/owners/diesel-particulate-filter.html

As a former Jaguar owner, a 3.0D XF Premium Luxury I thought it was an excellent tow car but the after sales service from Jaguar was shocking.

I had decided to move to an independent for repairs but unfortunately the car was involved in an accident and was written off.

I’ve now moved to Mercedes with a smaller engine CLS Shooting Brake and never regretted it.  The CLS tows every bit as good if not better than the Jaguar and so far I haven’t been ripped off with servicing.

I appreciate this has nothing to do with the OP ‘s question but a conversation overheard this evening was two colleagues discussing the exorbitant running costs of a Land Rover Discovery Sport and an Evoque with one party moving on to Audi A7.

I resisted temptation to join in with my experience.

My OH has just had a thought ........ What about a petrol P250 Evoque, any reliability issues and will it tow our 1510kg  MPTLM van?

Thanks

6 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy 

Think very carefully is good advice.

You have one of the very best manufactures for reliability why change to something that is known to have issues.

Thanks Ian and  everyone else who has commented.

It's a shame but we're coming round to thinking that way.  Our Mazda has never let us down, has cost us very little in repairs and servicing.  We just wanted a change! 

I'll  go and put those rose tinted glasses away in their box!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Have a close look at the Mazda 6 sport nav tourer. It has the same running gear as the CX5. I have one and it is an excellent tow-car with a pretty cavernous load space if required.

My sister in law has a CX5 so I have experience of driving both. To my mind the 6 is a far nicer car to drive. It’s certainly a LOT quieter, and the ride is far more comfortable  than the CX is. I’m on my second now. First was a manual, second is auto, I will probably have a third (also auto) as it does everything I want very competently. If driven with a bit of enthusiasm it’s also pretty quick, not that I ever do that, honest! 

Andy