Jump to content
ancell

Flickering LED strip

Recommended Posts

Hi all

My 2017 Swift Conqueror 560 has developed an annoying lighting fault.

The high level strip lighting on one side intermittently flickers and dims.

My dealer cannot find the fault.

It tends to behave for an hour or so then dims or flickers or both.

We are always on EHU with a 2 year old 100 amp leasure battery showing 13.7 volts on the control panel.

Do we go back to gas mantles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming you're not still under warranty, probably the easiest, cheapest fix would be to replace the strip. Converting to gas would involve installing gas lines etc which would disrupt your decor 😀

12v LED strips are widely available for almost pennies at your favourite auction site, Chinese reseller or the slightly more traditional Farnell's and RS.

Edited by AlwynMike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a 2012(?) Swift, bought brand new. ALL these high level strip lights were replaced by Swift, (I think they had a faulty batch). They were sent to me and it was my decision if I did them myself or took them to the dealer to have it done. I did them myself in a quiet afternoon. It might be worthwhile contacting Swift directly and asking the question. I've always found them very helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AlwynMike said:

Assuming you're not still under warranty, probably the easiest, cheapest fix would be to replace the strip. Converting to gas would involve installing gas lines etc which would disrupt your decor 😀

12v LED strips are widely available for almost pennies at your favourite auction site, Chinese reseller or the slightly more traditional Farnell's and RS.

 Unfortunately it’s not just one LED strip the same problem occurs with the exterior awning LED and the shower LED unit.

All three did dim-fail or flicker although just now it’s just the high level strip LED.

I am wondering if the Thatcham  alarm system is upsetting their circuit.

The dealer spent a day on it but failed to find the fault

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As somebody who has installed literally miles of LED strip into bars and restaurants over the last 8 or so years, I can tell you this is most likely a power supply issue.

 

A LED strip light system has 3 main components: the power supply, the dimmer and the strip itself.

 

If the power supply is playing up, the dimmer will often flicker and behave erratically until the power supply completely gives up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jimmygolitely said:

As somebody who has installed literally miles of LED strip into bars and restaurants over the last 8 or so years, I can tell you this is most likely a power supply issue.

 

A LED strip light system has 3 main components: the power supply, the dimmer and the strip itself.

 

If the power supply is playing up, the dimmer will often flicker and behave erratically until the power supply completely gives up.

 

But why would only three LED units be affected ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jimmygolitely said:

As somebody who has installed literally miles of LED strip into bars and restaurants over the last 8 or so years, I can tell you this is most likely a power supply issue.

 

A LED strip light system has 3 main components: the power supply, the dimmer and the strip itself.

 

If the power supply is playing up, the dimmer will often flicker and behave erratically until the power supply completely gives up.

But, of course, whilst mains powered LEDs are powered via an LED driver power supply,  caravan ones are directly connected to the 12V wiring system. 

If this only happens when you're on mains hookup then, possibly,  the charger or even the leisure battery could be defective which would cause the flicker from the charger/psu. 

If it happens off grid I would be tempted to blame a poor connection somewhere on the lighting circuit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a yard long strip on mine, three SMD's in the middle of the strip 'sometimes' flicker. Is that a power supply problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bspks said:

But, of course, whilst mains powered LEDs are powered via an LED driver power supply,  caravan ones are directly connected to the 12V wiring system. 

If this only happens when you're on mains hookup then, possibly,  the charger or even the leisure battery could be defective which would cause the flicker from the charger/psu. 

If it happens off grid I would be tempted to blame a poor connection somewhere on the lighting circuit. 

 

I suspect you are correct regarding a poor connection somewhere as the wiring “looms” are typical British Bodge I recognise from my Leyland truck building days.

The looms and wires are vulnerable as they are sometimes not clipped in but left trailing through the cupboards and lockers.

Time to get the circuit diagrams out and trace through the connections-electrics have never been one of my strengths.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your strips are like ones I have looked at, they are a series of sets of LED's. Each set (of 3?) Has its own power supply chip, hence being capable of being cut to length. You may well see markings to this effect on the backing. If you have a set of 3 that are unreliable, I would suspect this chip, but the only method of repair is to replace.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AlwynMike said:

If your strips are like ones I have looked at, they are a series of sets of LED's. Each set (of 3?) Has its own power supply chip, hence being capable of being cut to length. You may well see markings to this effect on the backing. If you have a set of 3 that are unreliable, I would suspect this chip, but the only method of repair is to replace.

 

 

Three completely different units are affected the shower LED overhead “ring” unit the exterior light and the front high level LED strip.

At present only the front high level strip flickers and dims but all three have simultaneously flickered or been completely dead.

I am suspecting faulty connections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ancell said:

 

Three completely different units are affected the shower LED overhead “ring” unit the exterior light and the front high level LED strip.

At present only the front high level strip flickers and dims but all three have simultaneously flickered or been completely dead.

I am suspecting faulty connections.

Mine are connected to the 12v supply block using "cheap" spade connectors a clean up and refit cures the problem for a while until the connections oxidize again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a similar issue with LED's in my Lunar 2017 MY and i traced it to a poor supply through a spade connector-probably due to our road surfaces :-(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks for your helpful replies all that remains is to trace the wiring and dodgy connectors.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...