arty 25

tyre pressure

hi got a caravan am new to this but its got small 13 inch wheels need to know the Tyre pressure if anybody can help 4 berth bessacarr  denaby  19 96

thanks arthur   

In the absence of any other specific information for your caravan the approximate pressure can be calculated.

See here.

• Like 1

There should be a max pressure printed on the side-wall of the tyre. Stay just inside of that figure and you wont go far wrong.

The ultimate test is to check your tyres cold,  loaded as per normal, then tow approx. 30+ miles (or until the tyres feel distinctly warm) then check the warm reading. Compare this to the original cold reading, if it's 3/ 4psi higher then pressures are ok, if more than 4psi then pressures are too low.  This may nead repeating until the results are correct but from then on you know you've got it right!

64psi or 65psi thanks;  its a old van will the 13inch wheels take 65 psi ? my kuga has 17 inch wheels and hold 32psi ? sounds high compared to the car but i dont know as am new to caravaning  as a i said thanks for your replies  

Edited by arty 25

1 hour ago, arty 25 said:

64psi or 65psi thanks;  its a old van will the 13inch wheels take 65 psi ? my kuga has 17 inch wheels and hold 32psi ? sounds high compared to the car but i dont know as am new to caravaning  as a i said thanks for your replies  

Remember that the weight of a car is divided between 4 wheels where the weight of a single axle caravan is only divided between 2 wheels.

Just be sure they have a  high enough load rating ( See here )for a caravan and a previous owner hasn’t tried to save a few quid by fitting car tyres which don’t have enough load carrying capacity. Also check the tyres for cracking at the bottom of the tread grooves and the tyre age. 

Andy

17 hours ago, arty 25 said:

Kuga mk 2 rear pressures on 17" wheels go up from 35psi to 43 psi.  My 14" Bailey tyre pressures are 60psi... 

All caravan tyre pressures are irrelevant unless its the same make, model and year as the OPs.

https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/caravan-specifications/bessacarr/se-denaby-1995_3988 is the closest I could find having a MIRO 940kg but no MTPLM.

This brochure from 1994 http://storage.highbridgecaravans.co.uk/brochures/bessacarrcaravans1994.pdf  gives Tyres as 175 SR 13 SV (whatever those marking mean (help!??))

Unladen weight is listed as 890kg plus 310 kg loading allowance making 1200kg MTPLM. 

Tyre pressure for the 1994 SE range is stated as 54 psi. 

(The other two models had MTPLMs of 1300kg).

So the 95/96 model may have been 1250kg? perhaps, if the loading allowance was kept the same.  It's very likely that the caravan will need Commercial rated 175R13 tyres to take the load of 1200-1300kg?

Swift Group took over about that time and might have suitable records to advise on correct tyre / wheel size and inflation pressure to use?  Absolutely no harm in asking them rather than people here guessing?

Edited by Rodders53

Arty, please tell us what's written on the tyres.  Or post a  photo.  

hi they are 175/ 13  i would love to put 14 inch alloys on it if its possible 

Edited by arty 25

9 hours ago, arty 25 said:

hi they are 175/ 13  i would love to put 14 inch alloys on it if its possible 

No, I meant the Max Load and the Max Tyre pressure, which is normally written on the tyres.  If you fit larger tyres they might hit the body of the van on bumps.

Finding suitably load-rated alloy wheels (in 14 or even 13 inch form) with the correct offset and PCD for the bolts (or nuts?) for the caravan wheel hubs might be  challenge (or easy). 

Then you'd have the problem of finding a suitably eXtra Load rated, lower profile 14 inch tyre to fit so as the overall diameter is as near identical as to make no difference.

Nothing is impossible, of course.  But you'd need expert help wrt the tyres and wheels.  Swift group who acquired Bessacarr around the time yours was made might be able to advise (but will probably not do so due to the risk of giving such safety-critical advice?)

On 24/09/2019 at 15:33, Flying Grandad said:

There should be a max pressure printed on the side-wall of the tyre. Stay just inside of that figure and you wont go far wrong.

The pressure figure is for compliance with US market regulations - it has no meaning in this country.

1 hour ago, Woodentop said:

The pressure figure is for compliance with US market regulations - it has no meaning in this country.

Please, do you have a source for this statement?  It goes against the advice given elsewhere on this forum.  It may be a USA requirement but that does not make it irrelevant!  It will help the OP to get the correct tyre pressure.

Edited by kelper

Woodentop is 100% correct, if you look at the side of the tyrewall I believe it even says that the max pressure is just for the USA (but it does give a pretty reasonable indication of the tyres ability. 

A VERY important, and often overlooked, matter is that once you get up near the 55-60psi inflation point the valves should ideally  be the metal bolt through type and NOT the “normal” pull through rubber ones that are standard on car tyres as, under extreme conditions (very hot day,  many motorway miles pushing the tyre pressure even higher) they CAN be blown out of the wheel rim. Never heard of it happening in the U.K. but in Italy or similar where the ambient temperature can be over 40°c I can understand how it could happen.

Andy

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Woodentop is 100% correct, if you look at the side of the tyrewall I believe it even says that the max pressure is just for the USA (but it does give a pretty reasonable indication of the tyres ability. 

A VERY important, and often overlooked, matter is that once you get up near the 55-60psi inflation point the valves should ideally  be the metal bolt through type and NOT the “normal” pull through rubber ones that are standard on car tyres as, under extreme conditions (very hot day,  many motorway miles pushing the tyre pressure even higher) they CAN be blown out of the wheel rim. Never heard of it happening in the U.K. but in Italy or similar where the ambient temperature can be over 40°c I can understand how it could happen.

Andy

Interesting point re valves. My static pressure is 62psi, but with TPMS I see rolling pressure up to 74-75 sometimes. Don't think Swift put bolt on valves in. Can they be fitted to alloys?

2 minutes ago, AndyK159 said:

Interesting point re valves. My static pressure is 62psi, but with TPMS I see rolling pressure up to 74-75 sometimes. Don't think Swift put bolt on valves in. Can they be fitted to alloys?

Yes without any problem whatsoever, most tyre depots hold them in stock. 

I actually had some fitted to alloy wheels on an MX5 about 15 years ago (They looked better than the rubber ones. Aesthetics were important to me back then :rolleyes: )

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

I had TPMS fitted to my old Swift. Pressure cold 65psi running from Birmingham to Portsmouth pressure went up to 76 psi.Ferry trip of 8 hours and then 5 miles to camp site . Three weeks later BOTH valve stems had split The tyre fitter who came to my aid said that the valve stems were to long and fitted shorter ones.No probkes on the way home .I phoned the manufacturer of TPMS they had never heard of this before . Have now sold the van and bought a campervan this has  tyre pressure of 76 psi and screw in valves

4 hours ago, Woodentop said:

It's a legal requirement to be shown in the US - it has just as much meaning in Europe but isn't legally required to be shown

• +1 1