Ched

When do used prices go lowest?

Looking to get back into caravanning and wondering when the used  prices are cheapest?

Are the best bargains to be had at the end of season or at the start?

Cheers

Usually the end of season up to close to season starting again!

Similar to car prices, often drop before new reg comes out.

• Like 1

At end of season you will probably find the lowest prices as dealers try to clear stock before winter, giving a boost to winter cash flow and space for the next batch of trade-ins in spring.

However, this probably goes along with less choice than you will get in the spring with a new batch of trade-ins coming along!

Which is best value depends on when the van you want is available.

• Like 1

I would find the question hard to answer with second hand caravans.

If you have made up your mind on a particular type of caravan and got it down to a particular make/model/year then when you find one that may well be the right time to buy for you.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

We have settled on a Manufacturer and model well sort of, they changed the model name and specs slightly. It's a Bailey Orion/Pursuit 430/4 as we have a Honda Civic to tow and limits are quite low.  We are not in a rush due to other things going on but the advice above suggests winter may be best for prices.

Thanks

My understanding is that there was an Orion then Pursuit followed by Pursuit 11

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David 38 said:

My understanding is that there was an Orion then Pursuit followed by Pursuit 11

Yes, that was our understanding too. Although the Orion II doesn't seem to be listed on dealers sites as a II but I think they changed in 2017. We are not so keen on that version as they did away with the partition between fixed bed and 'lounge'. 

Thanks

The Orion was first, then the Pursuit. We got our 430/4 some 5 years ago now.  Either way watch out for the bed. Ours sagged horribly in the middle and was always really uncomfortable. That was the main reason we got rid of it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ched said:

Yes, that was our understanding too. Although the Orion II doesn't seem to be listed on dealers sites as a II but I think they changed in 2017. We are not so keen on that version as they did away with the partition between fixed bed and 'lounge'. 

Thanks

Oops. The Pursuit II I think came out in 2017. Not the Orion II in 2017, sorry

14 hours ago, thebriars said:

The Orion was first, then the Pursuit. We got our 430/4 some 5 years ago now.  Either way watch out for the bed. Ours sagged horribly in the middle and was always really uncomfortable. That was the main reason we got rid of it.

probably an exception, we’ve had our Pursuit 430/4 for 3 years and the bed is still perfect (and hugely comfortable!).

On 24/09/2019 at 12:47, Ched said:

Thanks

Ours is a 2016 Pursuit which we bought at the end of the season before knowing the spec for the Pursuit II which was around in 2017 only; I am glad we bought the earlier model because we prefer the silver sides, the interior divider adds a nice degree of privacy and the interior finishes are nicer on the earlier version.

Pretty much all have the Upgrade pack fitted as standard (can’t remember everything in it but it’s alloys, alko wheel lock receiver, door flyscreen, microwave, stereo and perhaps one or two other bits) and the sunroof but the upholstery upgrade seems to be 50/50; ours has it and it’s much nicer than the standard trim.

Genuinely delighted with ours which we towed with a 2.0 diesel DS4 for 12 months, it’s ideal for that size of car.

prices on used can vary at any time, not necessarily time of season, its usually to do with how long something has been in stock for, and how much that van has devalued by during this time.

On 23/09/2019 at 17:20, Ched said:

Looking to get back into caravanning and wondering when the used  prices are cheapest?

Are the best bargains to be had at the end of season or at the start?

Cheers

Maybe you could post on here what caravan you are thinking of since there could be somebody on here about to change for a new model.