Sign in to follow this  
Treesparrow

TV reception issues

Tried searching for previous posts b4 posting but kept getting error message "wait x seconds before trying another search", so apologies if this has been asked before.

Not had our van long and up to the last couple of  days, TV reception has been good. Now we just get no signal or very garbled picture that comes and goes. The little box of tricks  that the antenna is plugged into is Vision Plus, and the antenna is one shaped like a Naan that adjusts from horizontal to vertical. Caravan is Bailey.

Have checked that the actual cable is plugged into the tv and have tried adjusting the direction of the antenna but no go - 

very grateful for any advise as to how to work though and hopefully solve the problem

Thanks

Rob

:welcome:have you switched your aerial box on ?

Now that you have posted you will probably find that you can now use the forum search.

First thing I do is look at other vans aerials to see what the direction is that they are pointing and whether they are vertical or horizontal. With that sorted you will need to retune you TV, also make sure that the VisionPlus box is switched on.

Hope this helps and gets you sorted. 

Do not trust other caravan aerials to be correct.

Look at houses though.

pop the sites post code into here

http://www.wolfbane.net/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?

2 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Do not trust other caravan aerials to be correct.

Look at houses though.

pop the sites post code into here

http://www.wolfbane.net/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?

But change the aerial height down to 3m - it may give more accurate results

Also, you may need to make some adjustments to the amplifier “box of tricks”.  There’s usually a “Gain Control” knob (or possibly a switch) - normally rotated clockwise for maximum, but in strong signal areas it may need to be reduced. You may need to retune between adjustments.

John

when you move sites you need to  re-tune your TV set each time.  Some sites get very poor TV signals  and you may find they have an aerial point on the electric bollards, to be able to use this you will need a long cable, they usually sell these on site .

2 hours ago, Treesparrow said:

Tried searching for previous posts b4 posting but kept getting error message "wait x seconds before trying another search", so apologies if this has been asked before.

Yes the search feature's timer on this forum is extremely annoying.  

Location (Caravan Site name and postcode) and have you moved sites or stayed in the same place and had this happen?

Check power and all the aerial cables and connections are in firmly and undamaged  (many reception issues are due to dodgy connections).  Ask neighbours or the wardens if their reception is OK?  You may get offered some help to diagnose your problem?

One doesn't always need to retune when moving site, but it is pretty common to have to.  A bit of pre-planning, manual tuning and use of a TV's in-built metering can work wonders and allow the aerial to be pointed and positioned for the best signal reception.  Digitaluk is the official UK spectrum planners predicted reception.  Wolfbane estimates signal levels.  Neither is 100% perfect.

2 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

Digital Uk Coverage Checker gives me better results than Wolfbane.

John

That positions to the centre of a postcode - rural postcodes can cover large areas so not always precise - doesn't give the bearing or polarisation that Wolfbane gives

30 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

That positions to the centre of a postcode - rural postcodes can cover large areas so not always precise - doesn't give the bearing or polarisation that Wolfbane gives

Sorry, but that’s not the case BG - as per the screenshot below - after choosing the postcode you can enter the actual address. And it gives you the bearing, plus whether it’s horizontal or vertical.

66C070AE-4CE5-424B-86BA-AA59ACF803C5.thumb.jpeg.a11c32f6cdbbea295e6472b0466dfba8.jpeg

John

Edited by Johnaldo

1 hour ago, Black Grouse said:

Try then clicking "Detailed view" on the menu.

As to rural post code spread, are you confident you can precisely set the bearing of a directional array to the odd seconds that might yield, and ever noticed a few seconds out making a real difference?

Edited by JTQ

35 minutes ago, JTQ said:

Try then clicking "Detailed view" on the menu.

As to rural post code spread, are you confident you can precisely set the bearing of a directional array to the odd seconds that might yield, and ever noticed a few seconds out making a real difference?

I missed the detail option - but I don't see why it's better than Wolfbane - it doesn't allow differing aerial heights to be input, which can make a difference particularly to caravanners.

Setting the bearing is very useful when no other aerials are in sight to give a clue - then just use the signal meter on the amplifier and adjust to maximum strength if necessary - the bearing helps pitching to avoid obstacles as well..

I sometimes use Wolfbane, but by far the more frequent system I use is just to ask my old Garmin Etrex the bearing to the transmitters most likely in the areas I visit; these transmitters I have listed as "waypoints" and I tend to know what covers where.

Armed with that info I simply see it it(they) work where I am. No system really knows the trees, houses and sheet metal barns directly affecting what I will get with the array I have at the only height I can place it, even if some know the altitude contours between pitch to the transmitter.

If that fails, then the satellite dish comes out, should using our TV be a high enough priority. Setting that is doddle, the cluster we need will always be a few degrees south of 140.

Edited by JTQ