Sign in to follow this  
Babstreefern

Ford Mondeo

I'm looking at changing my Kuga for a Mondeo.  Now that OH has passed away, I'm doing a lot more driving, and my right leg is really paining me, I think may be the seating in the Kuga.

Can anyone recommend if the Mondeo (2.0) is a good tow car.

Thanks for your comments

Both of my sons have towed with 2.0d Mondeos and have been pleased with them.   One Mondeo was about 5 years old and the other was newer.

Early models did well in towcar of the year awards.

None of the Mondeos have as high a noseweight as the Kuga.  More recent models go up to 90kg I think, earlier ones less.

I drive a kuga and find the higher driving position comfortable.  Also, the seat is very widely adjustable, essential for me as I have a problem with my spine that can cause my left leg to ache. 

If you go for a Mondeo check its towing specification - noseweight etc if this is important -  and also if you can get comfortable.  The longer the test drive the better.

• +1 1

Mondeos have good rep as tugs.  You need to ask for - and get - an extended test drive of ANY prospective vehicle though.

We've found that the armchair style seats in our Galaxys (Ghia and Titanium X trim) have been more comfortable than the sportier seats in the Freelander 2 GS we had before.   Before that we had Kia Sportages and for a time the most comfy armchairs of a Citroen C5 (that the garage had more than us).

We once made a mistake buying a Vauxhall Vectra with rock hard seats that gave us both bad backache on the first longer trip.  Having come from years of Vauxhalls before (two Cavaliers and a Viva before that) we assumed...   never assume, seat comfort matters a lot.

Try to identify what is wrong with your current seating / driving position so you can weed out some possibles very quickly when sitting in the showroom.

We were considering looking at Kugas when we replace this Galaxy, so your discomfort alarms me.  Best wishes with your quest.

Yes, they are fantastic tow car I have had 4 in the last 15 years.

They are generally a very good towcar.

I've had five.

What year are you looking at? Petrol or Diesel? Manual or Auto?

Lee

The estates are best, especially if you get one with self levelling suspension.

I've had 5 Mondeos, towed with 4 of them.  I found them comfortable, reliable, capable tow cars.  The most recent one I had until 2 years ago, was a 2 litre diesel automatic and was the best tow car I had owned at that time.  I would be happy to recommend them.

At the risk of stating the obvious, have you tried all possible movements of the driver's seat to get your optimum position using a guide such as this one https://www.physiomed.co.uk/uploads/guide/file/21/Physiomed_Sitting_Guide_-_Driving_Digital.pdf

Hi had 1.8 tdi towing s4 Bailey was fantastic on the fuel but needed a bit more power other than that a great car

Ive had 2, both 2.0TD. Very stable.