Jump to content

Recommended Posts

In to-days paper there is an information page which says ' Check your passport.

and it gives a 'gov' web-address.

This says you need 6 months time left on your passport if you travel to EU after 31 October.

Also a passport less than 10 year old ( even it has 6 months left ! )

We are on holiday in November , and our passports are 10 year old in April next year (after we return !)

even though they expire in September

The site still says it is out of date !

Perhaps they need the extra £75-50's 

 

Edited by rolywak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See under PASSPORTS HERE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good link joanie and I think this topic would be better in hols abroad so I'll move it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WispMan said:

Good link joanie and I think this topic would be better in hols abroad so I'll move it.

 

It would be a good link if HMG had bothered to update it! It shows us leaving the EU on 29th March......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rolywak said:

In to-days paper there is an information page which says ' Check your passport.

and it gives a 'gov' web-address.

This says you need 6 months time left on your passport if you travel to EU after 31 October.

Also a passport less than 10 year old ( even it has 6 months left ! )

We are on holiday in November , and our passports are 10 year old in April next year (after we return !)

even though they expire in September

The site still says it is out of date !

Perhaps they need the extra £75-50's 

 

We holidayed  in May and the rule then was to have 6 months plus on our passports for EU.

We renewed ours.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David 38 said:

We holidayed  in May and the rule then was to have 6 months plus on our passports for EU.

We renewed ours.

 


If you have a passport issued by an EU country then you didn’t - so long as it’s in-date on the day of your return you’re sorted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:


If you have a passport issued by an EU country then you didn’t - so long as it’s in-date on the day of your return you’re sorted.

In that case the Government have relaxed their advice they were giving earlier this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Woodentop said:

 

It would be a good link if HMG had bothered to update it! It shows us leaving the EU on 29th March......

 

Below is an up to date link and is updated as and when by Govt UK

 

HERE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I can find is advice for after Brexit would like to see official advice if no Brexit like there was at beginning of year.

I sure it was a thing that the EU brought in saying UK need at least a 6 month passport.

I know the EU have different rules for us to have to show passports where as if a EU citizen passes from his mainland country to another mainland he does not show a passport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FrankBullet said:


If you have a passport issued by an EU country then you didn’t - so long as it’s in-date on the day of your return you’re sorted.

 

Agreed if we are still in the EU (and any transition period if we leave with a 'deal') but not if we have left.

 

Indeed I read somewhere the other day that the rule will in fact be that your passport must be valid for six months <after> your date of return, presumably so that you still have a valid passport if you end up in hospital or whatever.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

 

Agreed if we are still in the EU (and any transition period if we leave with a 'deal') but not if we have left.


I was responding to a post advising they needed 6 months left in May this year - nothing to do with leaving the EU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s all new to me this 6 months malarkey, if it’s in date and valid then surely it’s in-date and valid.

 

To be honest, without going in my Safe I have no idea when my UK passport expires but I’m guessing 2023 because I had to get a new one at the beginning of 2003 because I was going ‘camping ‘ in Iraq and my old passport had stamps in it from Israel which apparently had the risk of having ones head chopped off if one was to become a POW 🤗.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you travel to the USA I believe you also need 6 months remaining at entry time. To ensure that if you stay the allowable 6 months, the passport is valid for the entirety of the stay.

 

Appreciate you need a Multiple Entry visa for a 6 months stay (90 days with an ESTA).

 

I assume the same 90 and 180 day time limits will be in place for European travel without a deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

It’s all new to me this 6 months malarkey, if it’s in date and valid then surely it’s in-date and valid.

 

To be honest, without going in my Safe I have no idea when my UK passport expires but I’m guessing 2023 because I had to get a new one at the beginning of 2003 because I was going ‘camping ‘ in Iraq and my old passport had stamps in it from Israel which apparently had the risk of having ones head chopped off if one was to become a POW 🤗.

 

 

I would guess that your passport expired in 2013 if you had renewed it in 2003

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

It’s all new to me this 6 months malarkey, if it’s in date and valid then surely it’s in-date and valid.


It is to ensure it’s valid for the duration of your stay - if you can travel to a country for 6 months without a visa, then you need to have a valid passport on the day you leave.

 

Many European countries are happy for you to travel on an expired passport I believe so long as it was issued in the EU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

It’s all new to me this 6 months malarkey, if it’s in date and valid then surely it’s in-date and valid.

 

To be honest, without going in my Safe I have no idea when my UK passport expires but I’m guessing 2023 because I had to get a new one at the beginning of 2003 because I was going ‘camping ‘ in Iraq and my old passport had stamps in it from Israel which apparently had the risk of having ones head chopped off if one was to become a POW 🤗.

 

 

It's nothing to do with whether it's in date or not it's always been the case of how long it remains valid during a trip abroad.  EU passport/ID card holders have become accustomed to travelling within  the EU where there is no  restriction on EU passport validity but this will no longer apply to UK passports if the UK leaves the EU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FrankBullet said:


If you have a passport issued by an EU country then you didn’t - so long as it’s in-date on the day of your return you’re sorted.

 

1 hour ago, FrankBullet said:

 

Many European countries are happy for you to travel on an expired passport I believe so long as it was issued in the EU.

 

So long as I travel within the EU I don't need a passport and I don't carry one around with me. In fact, there are even countries outside the EU which are happy  to accept my ID card as proof of identity.

Edited by Lutz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lutz said:

 

 

So long as I travel within the EU I don't need a passport and I don't carry one around with me. In fact, there are even countries outside the EU which are happy  to accept my ID card as proof of identity.

Just had a look at my German ID card, its valid until 2028 but will it be accepted in the UK post-Brexit or will I need either a UK or German passport?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Just had a look at my German ID card, its valid until 2028 but will it be accepted in the UK post-Brexit or will I need either a UK or German passport?

 

Extremely unlikely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Woodentop said:

 

It would be a good link if HMG had bothered to update it! It shows us leaving the EU on 29th March......

if you click on the link and then click on gov website , it says 31st Oct. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's something called The Schengen Area which we are not a member but the rest of EU are,so they can have cards and travel freely but we have passports and have to show them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, David 38 said:

It's something called The Schengen Area which we are not a member but the rest of EU are,so they can have cards and travel freely but we have passports and have to show them.

You only have to show it when entering the Schengen Area, once inside you can travel between the various countries and you don't need to show it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

You only have to show it when entering the Schengen Area, once inside you can travel between the various countries and you don't need to show it again.


Exactly, as the UK is outside of Schengen a passport needs to be shown both to get in to Schengen and any country from Schengen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The gov. website says-

On the day you travel youll need your passport to both

have at least 6 months left,

be less than 10 years old,

The gov. check tool, apparently, uses the date your passport was issued

Not the length of its validity ! or the date of its expire  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...