Wunny

Other people not doing it quite right

It was an interesting few days away, old friends, lots of beer (a pint an hour for 9 hours) - far too much but seemed OK at the time!

Anyway, whilst recovering, nosing out the window, saw a couple of EHU cables still on the reels whilst connected.

Not a problem if low power consumption, but I would guess that was not the case, as the nights were chilly.

The journey home was just a bind with really slow traffic on the M25, M40, M4, and took 5.5 hours to do 150 miles, but it gave me time noticed a couple on motor homes with the roof vents still raised, lots of TV aerials still raised and pointy end forward, with one pointing downwards @ 45°and one with the whole thing waggling about in the turbulence.  I would guess that these are what you could call broke!

Ahh well, I suppose they'll learn the hard way, to secure these things before they set off.

Home now and recovered!

image.png

image.png

Maybe if these folks were CT members they would have read the advice shared here and been aware of the potential problems that await all caravanners. :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Gordon said:

Maybe if these folks were CT members they would have read the advice shared here and been aware of the potential problems that await all caravanners. :rolleyes:

Some folks though, Gordon, don't want to learn!  I recently saw a 'van with a home-made cable which almost filled up an industrial cable drum with only 5/6 yards of cable uncoiled.  Unfortunately a gentle question to the 'offender' can often be met with abuse.

3 minutes ago, SamD said:

Some folks though, Gordon, don't want to learn!  I recently saw a 'van with a home-made cable which almost filled up an industrial cable drum with only 5/6 yards of cable uncoiled.  Unfortunately a gentle question to the 'offender' can often be met with abuse.

Non so blind as those who will not see?? 

The cable drum scenario seems very  common amongst continental caravanners, I see it all the time. 

Personally the very very last thing I do before driving off is to walk around the caravan looking upwards to check that all roof hatches and the TV aerial is correctly stowed. It does surprise me to see the number of “certain” caravan makes (usually foreign make twin axle ones)  that I see travelling with fixed satellite dishes extending way above the roof line!

Andy

How often do you see people uncoil the cable off the drum then coil up the excess in nice tight coils and throw it under the caravan or motorhome ?

Dave

To anyone reading this post and wondering, " Why all the fuss about unreeling the power cable?"  Well, if you do not the photo below shows what might happen :-

1989516762_burntoutcabledrum.jpg.e25361821af401d09bd7d8834fb64d1c.jpg

• Like 3

‘‘Twas the first thing I learned as an apprentice spark, don’t coil cables when live.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

The cable drum scenario seems very  common amongst continental caravanners, I see it all the time. 

Much less of an issue on a 6A or less hookup as commonly found on the continent.

1 hour ago, CommanderDave said:

How often do you see people uncoil the cable off the drum then coil up the excess in nice tight coils and throw it under the caravan or motorhome ?

Coils open to the air are much better than tight on a drum.

Edited by Stevan

1 hour ago, BOAC said:

To anyone reading this post and wondering, " Why all the fuss about unreeling the power cable?"  Well, if you do not the photo below shows what might happen :-

In every caravan there is a large notice in one of the wardrobe, how many people read it?

but you can't tell'um, they know best. What they don't get is that I'm telling them for my safety, if a reel goes up under a 'van the whole 'van goes up in minutes and if the wind is blowing in my direction, my 'van and me will go up in smoke as well. 

It happened to my neighbour when he was working in his garage a few years back  and he showed me the reel he was using, it looked similar to the one above. 

3 hours ago, SamD said:

I recently saw a 'van with a home-made cable which almost filled up an industrial cable drum ...

What distinguishes a home-made cable?

2 hours ago, BOAC said:

Just want to say that when I first posted this photo, 7 or 8 years ago, I was “told off” because it had nothing to do with caravanning as it was being used in a domestic situation to supply power to a kiln, and was in poor condition anyway (see article here).

But whatever the cause of the damage, it certainly shows what can happen under certain circumstances, and is well worth posting for those who’ve not seen it or not heard the advice before.

John

Most cable drum/cassettes  have two ratings: one coiled, one unwound.  e.g I have a Masterplug one in front of me with a 6A thermal cutout and 4x 13A sockets, labelled 720W wound and 1440W fully unwound.

A 25 metre 2.5 sq mm cable has a volt drop of about 7.5 V at 16.7 A (a 4 kW load) which is a power loss of 7.5*16.7 = 125 W (5 watts per metre).  So you can see how/why it's inadvisable to contain all that heat is a small volume.  But few will consume electricity at that rate continuously for many many hours, so the danger of heating damaging the cable is reduced.   (Unlike the kiln heating situation?)

But some will d-i-y and use smaller csa cable (e.g. 1.5 sq mm) where the volt drop and heating losses will be greater, with the danger much increased if coiled on a reel.

Sure this cable one has been done to death on here previously?

I've stopped a few people from leaving sites, both in UK and abroad, with roof vents open, aerials extended, break-away cables or  electric cables dragging on the ground, exterior lockers open, the list goes on. My intervention has usually been met with appreciation and a swift rectification. 

As for coiled cables; a 10 amp windup extension that I have, has two ratings on it. One for wound (720w) and one for fully unwound (2400w). Even a 6 amp supply could exceed the lower value

Edited by Flying Grandad

8 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

Sure this cable one has been done to death on here previously?

There are always new readers who may appreciate the info, so I think that it is always worth repeating now and then.  Newcomers usually start off knowing very little about doing things correctly and learn by trial & error or by frequenting forums like this.

we have a tick list and also check each other to make sure everything is done properly before leaving a site, however on the way home a few years ago we lost the cover where you insert  the water pump, can't tell you where or when, just never had it when we got home. 

2 minutes ago, Wunny said:

There are always new readers who may appreciate the info, so I think that it is always worth repeating now and then.  Newcomers usually start off knowing very little about doing things correctly and learn by trial & error or by frequenting forums like this.

That's what stickies, FAQs and the knowledge base articles linked to in Gordon's post #2 are for.  Not that many newcomers seem to ever read them.  (I failed to find them when looking just now, except via the link above).

Still this thread will quickly drop from view so not serve the purpose you state either.  Should I ever stop bumping it to the top. ;)

6 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

Still this thread will quickly drop from view ........................

I have just included it HERE under CARAVANNING so hopefully it will be read in the future. ;)

Edited by BOAC
typo

Here are a couple of wound reels I saw at a campsite just last week, they were on the pitches each side of us. They were both motorhomes. The one photographed in the rain was German and had two women and a small child (toddler) in it. The other was a UK registered MH with two 'mature' adults.

Not only is there a risk of fire, but look where they have been placed, in just about the best position to set the vehicle on fire.

I did not see the UK MH set up, but the German registered MH was plugged in at the mains first and then plugged into the MH.

What does one do? If I went to every one that I saw doing something incorrectly and a bit dangerous and told them about it, I think I'd spend more time policing campsites than relaxing. However I have  flagged down the odd passing caravan or MH (when on a site) and told them they have left a window or roof vent open. This has always been happily received.

I have also been informed that I have left my jockey wheel down, left the aerial up  and the odd other potential catastrophe. I was happy that someone intervened. However that was a 'mistake'. Telling someone that they are doing something WRONG is a little different and invites not such a happy response.

BH

2025982534_P1030522100.thumb.jpg.65c4afdbf7bcb8f3aaccaa244a57043b.jpg10128506_P1030523100.thumb.jpg.e8c8074910fb0be5a48610f90c80eee4.jpg

Edited by Blackhart
Typo

It is a tribute to the safety features built into mains electrical systems in the UK (RCDs in bollards etc.) that these commonplace errors so rarely result in serious issues.

We will never know how many caravans (and lives) have been saved by RCDs etc. doing their jobs at the right time!

1 hour ago, Bolingbroke said:

What distinguishes a home-made cable?

The length of the cable in that I don't believe you can buy the amount he had factory terminated.

Mine has been  "home made" for 12 years. Made from 20A cable 32 m long and wound on a metal cable when not in use.  

The cable had better outer  cable strength than std orange cable. Don't always write off what you may call home made things. 

5 minutes ago, WispMan said:

Mine has been  "home made" for 12 years. Made from 20A cable 32 m long and wound on a metal cable when not in use.  

The cable had better outer  cable strength than std orange cable. Don't always write off what you may call home made things. 

Indeed so and so is mine in arctic blue cos easier to wind in winter.  I was not having a go at homemade per se but given its length and container, I perceived 'homemade' but I am now wearing sackcloth and am smothered in ashes and will never use that word on here again!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SamD said:

Indeed so and so is mine in arctic blue cos easier to wind in winter.  I was not having a go at homemade per se but given its length and container, I perceived 'homemade' but I am now wearing sackcloth and am smothered in ashes and will never use that word on here again!!

I have some birch twigs going spare if you want to further enhance your “bad person” experience. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I recon we all see things on camping sites which indicate that people are  doing things "not quite right".  I personally couldn't care less, that's their business.   Unless - they are pitched close to me and my van would be put at risk. 

Edited by bessacarr425