Rob123

Caravan buying advice (cat D)

Hello everyone, we're looking at buying a 2nd hand van - we weren't before we went to the Lawns show with 'free' tickets (may end up being the most expensive free tickets ever!) and whilst there, fell in love with the Xplore 586, but its a pretty new van and out of our price range. So we've been looking for alternatives and have seen an Xplore 546, but it's a cat D write off. We’ve been to see it and the damage is very superficial – doesn't even require a repair – but I have many concerns about it and would like your opinion;

could we insure it? Not a big deal if we cant.

Could we sell it on? I'm pretty sure we couldn’t part ex it as I have seen a thread on this forum about that, but I still think we could sell it privately or to a trader for a reduced rate, would you buy a cat d van, how much hassle is this going to be?

Why cant I find any others? At the time of writing (sept 2019) I cant find any 546's for sale, I've looked on ebay, gumtree, autotrader, and more; are they really good and people want to keep them, are they really bad and people never bought them?

5 grand seems expensive for an 11 year old cat d caravan that I think was about 11 grand new (it is in good nick otherwise)

can you get a report of the damage from the insurance company, to make sure the very minor damage I’ve seen (panel dent) is the reason for the write off?

Opinions on alternatives? There's 5 of us and we're all single, 2 of us are happy to share a bed but a van with 2 doubles is out. We need a light van – under 1400mtplm - twin axles are out. We'd (i'd) like windows for the bunks but not a dealbreaker.

look forward to your opinions.

The caravan may looked alright, but the chassis could be bent or it has severe damp.  I think 5 grand for a 11 year old Cat D is a lot of money.  Whatever you decide before handing over your hard earned cash, get any caravan you decide on inspected by an AWS technician for peace of mind as damp is the biggest issue.

• +1 1

:welcome: you need to see the report of why it is categorised  as a    Cat D then ask an insurance co. how much to insure.  However saying that,  if in doubt, walk away. 

try this , it may help.

http://www.caravanfinder.co.uk/caravans.html

Edited by joanie

A friend's caravan shed a wheel whilst it was being towed causing quite a bit of damage.

1689385033_WillysCaravanrepair1.jpg.f82921826a33ce6731b271b6991057ea.jpg

His insurance company decided to write it off and paid him out a fair few thousand pounds.   Being a practical guy he decided it was an easy repair so bought the caravan back again.   He spend around 25% of his payout and did a great job on the van.

936386617_Willyscaravanrepair-2jpg.jpg.aad4443b0d17a56e6817754c3f8a7be6.jpg

Trouble is now, his insurers won't give him a policy and the last I heard was that he was having difficulty finding anyone else since it was Cat D

• Thanks 1

Hi, I did this in 2011 easy repair just time consuming (labour costs I suspect) no problems insuring it be prepared for a pittance when you come to get rid of it, We had 8 years trouble free caravanning out of it as did family members all in all well pleased with transaction . As I said a pittance when I sold it but not to worried as Health issues have forced me to end my caravan days after 40+ years.

If the caravan is a Cat D write off and while towing you have a mishap and damage is caused by the caravan, will third party insurance still pay out?

Cat D write off as with cars is an uneconomical repair to insurance companies. How many owners would want there pride and joy back if it had been stolen then recovered at a later date??