Who Me

Age of tyres

Hello. My hubby and I bought a caravan recently and hubby has told me the tyres are 8 years old. 

I read on CT that tyres should be renewed every five years.

We have a friend who owns a tyre fitting firm and we have known him for neigh on twelve years and has always done right for us. He examined the caravan tyres and told us that the valves and tread are good, and so long as there is no cracking they are fine.

What are your opinions please?

• Like 1

we were always told 5 years, but I think I read that it gone up to 7 years now,  

I copied this;

five years

Caravan tyres need regular replacement, irrespective of their visual appearance. We recommend that you replace your caravan tyres when they reach five years old and should never be used when more than seven years old.

I've only ever heard of changing tyres at 7 years of age - but allowing for time between manufacture and fitting means changing every 5 years. I believe Michelin state 10 years.

43 minutes ago, Who Me said:

We have a friend who owns a tyre fitting firm  . . .He examined the caravan tyres and told us that the valves and tread are good, and so long as there is no cracking they are fine.

What are your opinions please?

I totally agree in principle. Age related recommendations are just that and should be taken as guidance.

I have replaced caravan tyres after just three years because I wore them out, I have also continued to use trailers with tyres well over ten years old as they remain undamaged and fully usable.

I do however recommend checking all tyres regularly, and that includes wheel removal and looking at the back of the tyre and into the depth of the tread pattern for any sign of cracking in addition to a simple tread depth check. 

Gordon.

• +1 1

Our previous 'van was traded in at 7 years old with the original tyres; they still looked to be in good condition and I believe that the dealer sold it on with the same tyres. Our current 'van's tyres had serious sidewall cracks at 4 years; I had them changed. Just my opinion, mind you, but personally, I'd trust your tyre fitter. I would examine them regularly and change them at the first sign of sidewall deterioration.

• +1 1

37 minutes ago, Gordon said:

I totally agree in principle. Age related recommendations are just that and should be taken as guidance.

I have replaced caravan tyres after just three years because I wore them out, I have also continued to use trailers with tyres well over ten years old as they remain undamaged and fully usable.

I do however recommend checking all tyres regularly, and that includes wheel removal and looking at the back of the tyre and into the depth of the tread pattern for any sign of cracking in addition to a simple tread depth check. 

Gordon.

Agreed, there is also a need to be mindful of the use the tyre is going to get. A limited amount of superficial surface cracking may be acceptable for limited mileages at low speeds. A high speed journey to (say) the south of France requires tyres in very good condition.

• Like 1
  • +1 2

21 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Agreed, there is also a need to be mindful of the use the tyre is going to get. A limited amount of superficial surface cracking may be acceptable for limited mileages at low speeds. A high speed journey to (say) the south of France requires tyres in very good condition.

Is the difference in high speed in the UK and high speed in France significant in this matter? If the tyres aren't in good condition I wouldn't want to do 60 mph with them.

I had to change the tyres on my Lunar at 3 years.  Date stamp on the tyre was 2015.  Not a particularly high mileage.  Just rubbish tyres I suppose.

I got two new proper van tyres for around £110 fitted and balanced.  Not worth the risk.

Some years ago I was offered an unused set of Michelin on rims for a great price.  They had been stored in a dry dark place for 6 years.  I asked Michelin’s advice, they said they would be fine for 10 years due to the storage.  I used them for a further 3 years, still looked good.  

To some extent the age statement is just a guide.

John

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Is the difference in high speed in the UK and high speed in France significant in this matter? If the tyres aren't in good condition I wouldn't want to do 60 mph with them.

No, 60mph in the UK is still high speed for a caravan, which is why I referred to "limited mileage and low speed".

A great many caravans only ever do less than 100 miles in a single journey and never exceed 50mph, for these, tyre condition is a little less critical.

Caravan tyres are cheap. Why take the risk?

I would definitely change 8 year old tyres.

52 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

I think the point about a trip in France was to emphasise the distance and likely speed but regardless of age, if the tyre does not look perfect, personally I would not use it even for short trips.

Gordon

Change ours at 5 years, our car tyres have usually had it at about 4 years.

While regular inspection by a competent tyre person is acceptable;  I'd be saving up for a new set of rubbers to replace them for the start of the next season through the same tyre expert friend.

• Like 1

My caravan tyres are set at 65Psi.

Thats a lot of pressure!

The maximum weight of the caravan is 1680 kilos.

I had a 61/2 year old tyre explosively decompress on our 1540 kilo caravan.

The debris blew a hole in the plywood floor 1 foot long by 4 inches wide!

Fortunately the road was dry traffic was light and there was a lay-by nearby.

I was towing at 60 mph on a dual carriageway and had been towing on dual carriageway and motorways for 90 minutes.

Get your neighbour to give you a good price for replacements.

Car rather than caravan related, the rear tyres on Mrs JetA1's car (3k miles a year shopping trolley!) have been passing MOT's for years with no problem even though they were dated 2004  :o

The car is 15 years old with 47k miles and these were original tyres (on the rear) I replaced them a few weeks ago.

By the by still on original battery :o

Hi thought  the 5 yr bit a bit over the top? But happened to look at the Michelin s on my 2014 Pegasus , and hello small radial cracks allround? It has been stored under cover in a shed for the last 2 yrs as well! So new on the way , not sure about Michelin s though?

In our years of caravanning we have had three punctures while towing. The first two were within a month of each other on a four years old Avondale. In those days we didn't get away quite so much so we complained to Avondale and got the response that the tyres could have been in store before they were fitted to the van and basically it was a 'question of tough luck'. The next was on a four years old Bailey. My hubby doesn't tow over 60 miles an hour and looks ahead so to avoid hard breaking so the tyres had not been abused at all.

We have just replaced the tyres on our four year old Coachman and put new tyres on our Kia prior to our November holiday in Spain/Portugal. Expensive, but as the only contact with the road it is worth it to be safe.

8 hours ago, jetA1 said:

Car rather than caravan related, the rear tyres on Mrs JetA1's car (3k miles a year shopping trolley!) have been passing MOT's for years with no problem even though they were dated 2004  :o

The car is 15 years old with 47k miles and these were original tyres (on the rear) I replaced them a few weeks ago.

By the by still on original battery :o

Car tyre pressure 30-40Psi 4 tyres carrying a load of 200K-400K each.

Caravan tyre 65Psi carrying a load of 700-800K and there are usually only 2.

Why risk your families life for a couple of tyres costing £100 fitted and balanced?

its recommend 7 years from the date stamp, or 5 years from the age of the van if no date stamp is present.

tyres are what keep the van on the road, for the sake for a few hundred pounds it is absolutely worth doing

• Like 1

Thank you all for all your replies.

We are having new tyres fitted next week - with Tyron bands.

• Like 1

A blow out or puncture can cause the tyre to breakup as it is not noticed and they can cause a lot of damage to the side walls of caravan ,mudguard and floor . 

It can be false economy .

Dave

On 22/09/2019 at 22:59, Who Me said:

with Tyron bands.

A complete waste of money in my view, unlike the tyres.  DO ensure they are balanced.

9 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

A blow out or puncture can cause the tyre to breakup as it is not noticed and they can cause a lot of damage to the side walls of caravan ,mudguard and floor . 

It can be false economy .

Dave

Our neighbour had a tyre go on his caravan.

A big chunk of rubber hit the floor burst the ply and forced the wardrobe upwards distorting and cracking the roof.

Caravan was written off.

5 hours ago, Rodders53 said:

A complete waste of money in my view, unlike the tyres.  DO ensure they are balanced.

Tyron bands were fitted to my caravan when it suffered tyre disintegration at 60 mph.

Car and caravan remained controllable thanks to Tyron bands retaining  rubber on both rims and no damage to wheel well.

Now a Tyron fan😀.

Ambulances have Tyron bands and military vehicles.

Money well spent-in my opinion.

Tyrons standard fitment  on my Swift Conqueror 560.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ancell said:

Tyron bands were fitted to my caravan when it suffered tyre disintegration at 60 mph.

Car and caravan remained controllable thanks to Tyron bands retaining  rubber on both rims and no damage to wheel well.

Now a Tyron fan😀.

Ambulances have Tyron bands and military vehicles.

Money well spent-in my opinion.

Tyrons standard fitment  on my Swift Conqueror 560.

Wait for it, like a red rag to a bull.